U.S. National Parks thread

Comments

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    West coast was a lot of fun. Spent several days in Santa Monica. Drove up the PCH one day and took an awesome hike on the cliffs in Pointe Dume, swam for hours afterwards... awesome beach spot.  Spent the night in Vegas on the way to Bryce Canyon NP. Took my daughter to M&M World and a couple other attractions. Hit Bryce Canyon today.... one word.. hoodoos.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Only took 42 years but made it there today!!!

Grand! 

One of the most amazing places anywhere!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

West coast was a lot of fun. Spent several days in Santa Monica. Drove up the PCH one day and took an awesome hike on the cliffs in Pointe Dume, swam for hours afterwards... awesome beach spot.  Spent the night in Vegas on the way to Bryce Canyon NP. Took my daughter to M&M World and a couple other attractions. Hit Bryce Canyon today.... one word.. hoodoos.

Oooh, Bryce!  So cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Whew!!! I thought we were going to need to call Search & Rescue for @hauntingfamiliar. 🤣

I refuse to go to Utah until I make can make the rounds to all their NP's. I really look forward to that one.

Were you able to visit any NP's while in California? I'm sure you are keenly aware, but a trip like this is something your daughter is going to remember forever. In fact, it very well could shape her entire future. You're doing a great thing in my uninvited opinion. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    24 days until depart for Glacier!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Indeed it was GRAND, @brianlux ! So happy I was finally able to make a trip out west like this.

No need for the search and rescue @darwinstheory !! :lol:

West coast kind of pulled us in for a while. I had a free place to stay right near the Santa Monica Pier so well you know... had to live it up!! I did not make it to any California NP's. I had hoped to hit Sequoia on the way back but the campsites were fully reserved. I suppose I could have driven there and tried to find one but I chickened out! It will be a must do on my next trip to California. Next time I think I will fly though. ;)  Phew it's been a long road but so much fun. Thanks for the kind words ^^. We both have seen and experienced so much in the past few weeks I just cannot put it into words. And I couldn't agree with you more on Utah. Wowwww! What an amazing state. So many incredible parks within hours of each other. We only picked one with all of our other traveling, but we easily could have spent another week in that area. 
    Made it to Colorado... entered Rocky Mtn NP from the west at the Grand Lake entrance. We traveled on Trail Ridge Road (only open in the summer) and ended up in Estes Park on the eastern side. We stopped along the way to hike and we found SNOW! My daughter has only seen snow about five times in her life so seeing it in the summer blew her mind!! So much fun!

Made it to Colorado... entered Rocky Mtn NP from the west at the Grand Lake entrance. We traveled on Trail Ridge Road (only open in the summer) and ended up in Estes Park on the eastern side. We stopped along the way to hike and we found SNOW! My daughter has only seen snow about five times in her life so seeing it in the summer blew her mind!! So much fun!

Very cool, looks like fun! 

There is still a bit of snow at the higher elevations in the Sierras but it won't last much longer- temps here at 2,000 foot elevation are going to be in the low hundred's this weekend.  I'd say you got out of California just in time to miss the heat wave coming. 

Have a great rest of the trip!

9 year old girl hit by bison at YNP today. 

Yes, it is awful for that to happen to a 9 year old girl. However, the bison will most certainly be put down because of the incident. An incident in which the bison was surrounded by an estimated 50-60 people within a reported 10' of it. Also read there were even some dipshits petting the bison. An now, it will most surely be put down. YNP does not plan to issue any citations for the incident. 

For the love of god, people! It's not that fucking hard to comprehend. Give wildlife some space and stay on the boardwalks when the signs tell you to do so.

Pretty cool pictures from CO. I've never been out there. How many miles have you put on so far this trip? I thought it was a ton driving out to Yellowstone and back, but that's not shit compared to this trip!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Anybody ever do Mammoth, CA?

My cousin is skiing right now up there.

Crazy right?  It has the longest ski season any where in the the US.
    Thanks Brian! And DT I just added up the mileage so far.. roughly 4500!!! Coast to coast, side trips and now heading back east. I'm in Kansas now. Still have a few solid days of traveling to put in and one more camping trip in NC mtns before heading home. I'll give you the grand total once I return. 
    Woozas! Where to now? Don't forget to change your oil!
    Anybody ever do Mammoth, CA?

My cousin is skiing right now up there.

Crazy right?  It has the longest ski season any where in the the US.
    I have not, but I did visit Mammoth CAve once...if that's any consolation. I have never skied before.
    Thanks Brian! And DT I just added up the mileage so far.. roughly 4500!!! Coast to coast, side trips and now heading back east. I'm in Kansas now. Still have a few solid days of traveling to put in and one more camping trip in NC mtns before heading home. I'll give you the grand total once I return. 
    When C. and I did our cross country round trip in 2006 we went through Kansas and at first I hated it.  Stock yards with what seemed like billions of stinking, crowded cattle.  A cattle truck that made a wide turn spilling cow urine and feces all over the highway which we couldn't dodge and it got all over our car and little travel trailer.  Yuk!

But then we stopped for the night on a dirt road in Hamilton County Wildlife Area and it was magical!  A clear night with a million stars and a silver moon.  And sometime in the night some Sandhill cranes stopped to rest on the roof of our little trailer and made these lovely sounds.  That was so cool!

Hope you also found something to like in Kansas!

brianlux said:
    When C. and I did our cross country round trip in 2006 we went through Kansas and at first I hated it.  Stock yards with what seemed like billions of stinking, crowded cattle.  A cattle truck that made a wide turn spilling cow urine and feces all over the highway which we couldn't dodge and it got all over our car and little travel trailer.  Yuk!

But then we stopped for the night on a dirt road in Hamilton County Wildlife Area and it was magical!  A clear night with a million stars and a silver moon.  And sometime in the night some Sandhill cranes stopped to rest on the roof of our little trailer and made these lovely sounds.  That was so cool!

Probably the sign that reads "Leaving Kansas"  =)=)

Just kidding...I have only went to Kansas ince. For a wedding. In December. Plus I'm from Indiana, so I haven't got too much room to talk. 
    brianlux said:

Just kidding...I have only went to Kansas ince. For a wedding. In December. Plus I'm from Indiana, so I haven't got too much room to talk. 
    I've spent time on a couple of lakes in Indiana (including my first honeymoon), but it's been so long I can't remember which lakes- but it was great.  The first time was in 1975 and I don't know if it's still the same, but I remember the time kept changing from county to county as we drove through depending on which ones observed day light savings time.  That cracked me up!  Also went to Fort Wayne once but was not impressed.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I've spent time on a couple of lakes in Indiana (including my first honeymoon), but it's been so long I can't remember which lakes- but it was great.  The first time was in 1975 and I don't know if it's still the same, but I remember the time kept changing from county to county as we drove through depending on which ones observed day light savings time.  That cracked me up!  Also went to Fort Wayne once but was not impressed.

brianlux said:

@brianlux

^^^Nobody has ever been impressed by Fort Wayne. Lol

Funny you mention that about the daylight savings time. Where I went to jr. high & high school, they combined 4 elementary schools to make 1 bigger school. 2 elementary schools were on CST and the other 2 were on EST. However, back then, these time zones were on the same time from late spring through fall. Start the school year all on the same time. Then half of the people went an hour different in November. Then in Apri, back to everyone being on the same time. So bizarre. Nowadays, the same 2 schools that were previously on CST are 1 hour behind those in EST all year long. 

I'm guessing to notice those time zone changes, you were in either the NW or SW corner of Indiana. 
    @hauntingfamiliar

Any good stops for you between Kansas and your hometown? 
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    US National Monuments?

Spent a couple of days at John Day Fossil Beds this week while staying at a fire lookout in the area.
    #FHP
    @hauntingfamiliar

@darwinstheory

We ended up rushing the second to last leg of the trip because we found out our cat was not doing well back home. She got sick shortly after we started the trip. We drove 4 states in 1 day trying to get home to her but unfortunately she died when we reached Tennessee. :/  After we got the news we decide to make the most out of our last few days and had an extended camping trip in the NC mountains. We found a beautiful, secluded campground outside of Asheville where we set up camp with a friend that met us there.  We hiked Hooker and Triple Falls and hit one of our favorite spots to cool off, Sliding Rock. Very fun!  

This trip was epic and I am still trying to wrap my head around everything. 

Close to a month on the road
    Coast to coast to coast
    Roughly 5900 miles
    5 National Parks
    Several National Forests
    Many State Parks 
    Half dozen waterfalls
    Counted 36 different state license plates 
    Counted 1 other country plate
    Dozens of tourist traps and attractions
    Tried our first In-n-out Burger ... wowowow!!

DT you're trip is coming up soon right? Can't wait to see pictures and updates from Glacier!

Horos said:
    US National Monuments?

Spent a couple of days at John Day Fossil Beds this week while staying at a fire lookout in the area.
    Oooh the Painted Hills look badass! 
    @hauntingfamiliar

@darwinstheory

We ended up rushing the second to last leg of the trip because we found out our cat was not doing well back home. She got sick shortly after we started the trip. We drove 4 states in 1 day trying to get home to her but unfortunately she died when we reached Tennessee. :/  After we got the news we decide to make the most out of our last few days and had an extended camping trip in the NC mountains. We found a beautiful, secluded campground outside of Asheville where we set up camp with a friend that met us there.  We hiked Hooker and Triple Falls and hit one of our favorite spots to cool off, Sliding Rock. Very fun!  

Coast to coast to coast
    Roughly 5900 miles
    5 National Parks
    Several National Forests
    Many State Parks 
    Half dozen waterfalls

DT you're trip is coming up soon right? Can't wait to see pictures and updates from Glacier!

@hauntingfamiliar - I am so sorry to hear about your cat. That is so terrible to hear. 

Your trip sounds like it was pretty amazing! I'm sure the little one is glad to be out of the car for awhile now.

Did you have a favorite:
    National Park?
    State Park?
    National Forest?

We just got back from our trip out to GNP (and some of Canada) and had ourselves a heck of a time! Pictures are coming in due time!

Pro tip: GNP is known as the hikers National Park. Prior to visiting, be sure you spend some time walking/running/or stair stepping, be sure you have the appropriate shoe/boots for your feet and take pain reliever.  =)
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    This is a pretty cool state park we have here in Oregon. You can hike a loop and see like ten waterfalls.https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=151

I'm also surrounded by National forests so I buy a yearly pass.  
    #FHP
    @hauntingfamiliar

@darwinstheory

Coast to coast to coast
    Roughly 5900 miles
    5 National Parks
    Several National Forests
    Many State Parks 
    Half dozen waterfalls

@hauntingfamiliar - I am so sorry to hear about your cat. That is so terrible to hear. 

Your trip sounds like it was pretty amazing! I'm sure the little one is glad to be out of the car for awhile now.

Did you have a favorite:
    National Park?
    State Park?
    National Forest?

We just got back from our trip out to GNP (and some of Canada) and had ourselves a heck of a time! Pictures are coming in due time!

Pro tip: GNP is known as the hikers National Park. Prior to visiting, be sure you spend some time walking/running/or stair stepping, be sure you have the appropriate shoe/boots for your feet and take pain reliever.  =)
    Thanks @darwinstheory we miss our little Sashi cat.

Your pro tip on GNP is duly noted. ;) I can't wait to see pictures and hear what were the best parts of your trip.

It is so hard to pick a favorite NP as they were all so unique and completely different experiences. If I had to choose the ones where I had the best overall experience.... probably Petrified Forest and Rocky Mtns. Petrified Forest/Painted Desert because Soph and I had never in our lives seen anything like it in person. It was the first NP we reached when traveling out west and It blew our minds. It was not very crowded either and it was an easy park to navigate through at our own pace and hike wherever we wanted. The multicolored sand dunes and the crystal forest were highlights. Rocky Mtn NP was outstanding as well.  The fact that you can drive up to the top and experience frozen tundra like conditions was humbling. We played in snow in the summer, saw a moose, the continental divide and at over 12,000 where we were it was the highest ;) elevation I have ever been!!

Favorite state park- Again based on overall experience. Will Rogers right outside of Santa Monica. We hiked a fun trail and grilled out with my sister and her fiance. 

Favorite National Forest - The Ozarks! I've been wanting to get there for years and finally made it. There were way too many weird bugs but Pedestal Rocks was amazing.

*Bonus* Favorite state beach - Dume Point outside of Malibu. Gorgeous cliff hikes and incredible views of the Pacific. Beautiful, sandy beach and perfect spot to swim.

Horos said:
    This is a pretty cool state park we have here in Oregon. You can hike a loop and see like ten waterfalls.https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=151

I'm also surrounded by National forests so I buy a yearly pass.  
    I've been on a waterfall kick the past few years and have been trying to hit as many as I can. Looks like a fantastic waterfall hike...10 on one trail, wow!! Next time I go to the west coast I want to fly into northern Cali and drive up the coast to Washington. I will definitely try to remember this one. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Snapped this sunrise photo yesterday  at Hatteras national seashore, North Carolina.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    ^^ Ooh nice! I hope you've enjoyed your visit in the south. Looks like the NC coast could get a little unexpected visit from Hurricane Dorian next week.  I'm really glad I moved away from the coast this summer. I couldn't handle another one of those things right now!!
    ^^I'm hoping you were enjoying a beach side sunrise still intoxicated from a night long drink fest. The night the McGruffs brought their 17th child into the world.

B) 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    ^^I'm hoping you were enjoying a beach side sunrise still intoxicated from a night long drink fest. The night the McGruffs brought their 17th child into the world.

B) 
    Lol. Factory is closed my friend!!
    we absolutely loved North Carolina @ha@hauntingfamiliar
    next year we are thinking Vermont, new hanpshire or maybe Virginia Beach.  Not really sure. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......