2018/2019 NBA Thread

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    No way he plays next year.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    DewieCox said:
    Jason P said:
    OKC making the slow play for 2027 :lol:
    They are the 76ers without the seasons and seasons and seasons of tanking.
    3 seasons. Oh the horror!

....and now odds on favorites to win the East.
    That will change as soon as they figure out Durant’s return date.
    He's missing half the season. Even then, he's not going to be the same player. 20/21 is the year to be concerned about Brooklyn. Even then....he's older and coming off an incredibly tough injury and he doesn't have one of the greatest teams of all time backing him up. 
    If he is 80% of what he was he will still be better than 90% of the league.

If he can play w Kyrie then that will be something to watch.
    But was 100% healthy and didn't win shit prior to joining one of the all time great teams.
    So in the 20/21 season he'll be 32 and coming of an achilles....

That's the point
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Jason P said:

He's missing half the season. Even then, he's not going to be the same player. 20/21 is the year to be concerned about Brooklyn. Even then....he's older and coming off an incredibly tough injury and he doesn't have one of the greatest teams of all time backing him up. 

They're saying he's playing next year?  
    I thought he was out all next year too?
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Jason P said:

They never said he will definitely miss the whole season.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Jason P said:

Right, but practically speaking, aren't achilles usually a full year?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Jason P said:

Right, but practically speaking, aren't achilles usually a full year?
    Yeah 9-12 months
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin-durant-injury-update-nets-dont-officially-rule-k-d-out-for-upcoming-season-team-wont-make-timeline-public/
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Does anyone think this was a good move for Houston? I can envision nightly battles to the death over who has the ball in their hands more...
    this will be a shitshow. at least CPfucking3 got sent into oblivion.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Wobbie said:
    Does anyone think this was a good move for Houston? I can envision nightly battles to the death over who has the ball in their hands more...
    this will be a shitshow. at least CPfucking3 got sent into oblivion.
    Until he gets traded/bought out and goes to the Lakers? (or some other good team?)
    Think the Star players prefer the Olympics.

https://www.thescore.com/fiba/news/1801086

Report: Jazz's Conley, Warriors' Russell on Team USA replacement short list
    7h ago
    Nathaniel S. Butler / National Basketball Association / Getty
    BROOKLYN NY - NOVEMBER 30 Mike Conley 11 of the Memphis Grizzlies and DAngelo Russell 1 of the Brooklyn Nets shake hands during the game on November 30 2018 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn New York NOTE TO USER User expressly acknowledges and agrees that by downloading andor using this photograph user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement Mandatory Copyright Notice Copyright 2018 NBAE

USA Basketball is prepared in case more stars opt out of the upcoming FIBA World Cup.

Golden State Warriors guard D'Angelo Russell and Utah Jazz guard Mike Conley are among some of the names included on Team USA's potential short list of replacements, according to The Athletic's Joe Vardon.

Boston Celtics duo Marcus Smart and Jaylen BrownOrlando Magic forward Aaron GordonPhiladelphia 76ers swingman Josh RichardsonChicago Bulls forward Thaddeus Young, and New York Knicks big man Julius Randle are also on the list of possible backups.

"We are blessed with a lot of talent, a lot of talent in the NBA," USA Basketball director Jerry Colangelo told Vardon. "There is no panic. It may be more challenging, but we will be able to field a very competitive team.

"We've had players call us who want to be on our list."

Already, Team USA will be without Anthony DavisEric GordonJames HardenBradley BealTobias Harris, and CJ McCollum, who were on the initial 20-man invitee list but all pulled out due to various reasons. New Orleans Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson, who was invited to the 10-man Select Team, a squad of up-and-coming players who could potentially compete for a roster spot, also won't be attending the August camp.

The Select Team could still help fill out Team USA's World Cup roster, however. Notable young stars such as Trae YoungDe'Aaron FoxJoe HarrisMitchell Robinson, and Jarrett Allen were all invited to be a part of the younger squad, according to Vardon.

cutz said:
    Think the Star players prefer the Olympics.

https://www.thescore.com/fiba/news/1801086

Report: Jazz's Conley, Warriors' Russell on Team USA replacement short list
    7h ago
    Nathaniel S. Butler / National Basketball Association / Getty
    BROOKLYN NY - NOVEMBER 30 Mike Conley 11 of the Memphis Grizzlies and DAngelo Russell 1 of the Brooklyn Nets shake hands during the game on November 30 2018 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn New York NOTE TO USER User expressly acknowledges and agrees that by downloading andor using this photograph user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement Mandatory Copyright Notice Copyright 2018 NBAE

USA Basketball is prepared in case more stars opt out of the upcoming FIBA World Cup.

Golden State Warriors guard D'Angelo Russell and Utah Jazz guard Mike Conley are among some of the names included on Team USA's potential short list of replacements, according to The Athletic's Joe Vardon.

Boston Celtics duo Marcus Smart and Jaylen BrownOrlando Magic forward Aaron GordonPhiladelphia 76ers swingman Josh RichardsonChicago Bulls forward Thaddeus Young, and New York Knicks big man Julius Randle are also on the list of possible backups.

"We are blessed with a lot of talent, a lot of talent in the NBA," USA Basketball director Jerry Colangelo told Vardon. "There is no panic. It may be more challenging, but we will be able to field a very competitive team.

"We've had players call us who want to be on our list."

Already, Team USA will be without Anthony DavisEric GordonJames HardenBradley BealTobias Harris, and CJ McCollum, who were on the initial 20-man invitee list but all pulled out due to various reasons. New Orleans Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson, who was invited to the 10-man Select Team, a squad of up-and-coming players who could potentially compete for a roster spot, also won't be attending the August camp.

The Select Team could still help fill out Team USA's World Cup roster, however. Notable young stars such as Trae YoungDe'Aaron FoxJoe HarrisMitchell Robinson, and Jarrett Allen were all invited to be a part of the younger squad, according to Vardon.

Olympic Gold matters.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Tim Duncan has Joined Pops staff as an assistant

pretty cool
    CROJAM95 said:

pretty cool
    I wonder if he will be any good?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    CROJAM95 said:

pretty cool
    I wonder if he will be any good?
    We shall see, maybe he takes over for Popovich
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Jason P said:

While I like Philly, i think they are a bit over rated and don't think they win the east.  I actually see them being 3 or 4 in the east behind the bucks, pacers and boston.  i could put them ahead of the pacers but not by much.  also just cause i have to give some love for my home team and defending champs the Raptors are still a very good team
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    I'm not sure how folks are placing the Sixers as the top contender in the east when they swapped out Butler and Reddick for Horford and Richardson and still have one of the weakest benches in the league.
    Milwaukee to me is the clear cut top team in the east. The only significant loss was Brogdon and they added in a few complimentary players.
    Toronto obviously got significantly weaker. Boston got weaker on paper, remains to be seen if better chemistry can trump the talent drop off form Kyrie to Kemba. And Sixers also look a bit weaker. Indiana may have improved a bit, but they are still a star away, and that's assuming Oladipo recovers well from his injury.

East is the Bucks to lose at this point.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    I'm not sure how folks are placing the Sixers as the top contender in the east when they swapped out Butler and Reddick for Horford and Richardson and still have one of the weakest benches in the league.
    Milwaukee to me is the clear cut top team in the east. The only significant loss was Brogdon and they added in a few complimentary players.
    Toronto obviously got significantly weaker. Boston got weaker on paper, remains to be seen if better chemistry can trump the talent drop off form Kyrie to Kemba. And Sixers also look a bit weaker. Indiana may have improved a bit, but they are still a star away, and that's assuming Oladipo recovers well from his injury.

Indiana still has Olidipo, right?
    Poncier said:

Yes, returning from a ruptured quad. Possibly out till January.
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Damn, still out that long?
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Damn, still out that long?
    Nobody has said for sure, but speculation is December or January.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Poncier said:

I think the sixers are the sexy pick with Embid and Simmons.  I didn't really understand the Horford signing cause for me he plays in the paint the same way that both embid and simmons do so it going to crowd the paint and they don't really have shooters.  the Bucks are the clear favorite for me in the east.  my hope for toronto is that the team comes out playing with a chip on their shoulder by not getting the respect they deserve for being champs.  have to remind myself that the Raptors were like 17-5 without leonard. 
    Horford is quite comfortable playing the high post, so he can coexist with Embiid, but to think him replacing Butler is an upgrade is folly. He may have a better attitude than Butler, but his game isn't as versatile. They lose a lot of athleticism in that exchange. Plus Horford is 33 and has had some knee issues, paying him 29 mil when he's 35 & 36 is risky at best.

We shall see.
    Poncier said:
    Horford is quite comfortable playing the high post, so he can coexist with Embiid, but to think him replacing Butler is an upgrade is folly. He may have a better attitude than Butler, but his game isn't as versatile. They lose a lot of athleticism in that exchange. Plus Horford is 33 and has had some knee issues, paying him 29 mil when he's 35 & 36 is risky at best.

We shall see.
    I loved Horford on Boston.  Dude can D up good and play the 4 or 5.  He doesn't need to have the ball like Butler.  It will get Simmons out further hopefully too or Embiid will be shooting more 3's.
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Poncier said:

We shall see.
    I loved Horford on Boston.  Dude can D up good and play the 4 or 5.  He doesn't need to have the ball like Butler.  It will get Simmons out further hopefully too or Embiid will be shooting more 3's.
    Horford is in now way replacing Butler, if anyone is, that will be Richardson, but Tobias Harris will definitely see more shots this coming season. Butler going should assist in Simmons in not standing around whilst Butler had the ball, he will be in control most of the time he is on the court. Simmons WILL start shooting the ball more this season, he absolutely has too.

Horford is a good pick up, as they had a HUGE whole in the middle when Embiid was off the court. They can play together, but the ability to have Horford on whilst Embiid is off the court is a massive upgrade. Not sure if they win the East, that will depend on what they can also get out of their bench, especially Zhaire Smith and Thybulle, but they will certainly be up there.

Bucks will miss Brogdon more than many think, but they will still be very good. Middleton needs to be more aggressive and be a more consistent threat. He's quality, but very rarely takes over a game.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    No Coder said:
    Poncier said:

We shall see.
    Horford is in now way replacing Butler, if anyone is, that will be Richardson, but Tobias Harris will definitely see more shots this coming season. Butler going should assist in Simmons in not standing around whilst Butler had the ball, he will be in control most of the time he is on the court. Simmons WILL start shooting the ball more this season, he absolutely has too.

Horford is a good pick up, as they had a HUGE whole in the middle when Embiid was off the court. They can play together, but the ability to have Horford on whilst Embiid is off the court is a massive upgrade. Not sure if they win the East, that will depend on what they can also get out of their bench, especially Zhaire Smith and Thybulle, but they will certainly be up there.

Bucks will miss Brogdon more than many think, but they will still be very good. Middleton needs to be more aggressive and be a more consistent threat. He's quality, but very rarely takes over a game.
    Yeah. Pretty much. I think you can argue the Sixers have the best starting five in the league right now. Bench is improved but I was really hoping they could’ve gotten Korver. Only thing they’re missing is a sniper off the bench. They’ll get one between now and the deadline though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The real good players really only want to play in the Olympics?

USA Basketball announces updated World Cup player pool
    6h ago
    Ethan Miller / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    LAS VEGAS NV - JULY 27 Head coach Gregg Popovich of the United States attends a practice session at the 2018 USA Basketball Mens National Team minicamp at the Mendenhall Center at UNLV on July 27 2018 in Las Vegas Nevada

With the 2019 FIBA World Cup just over a month away, USA Basketball has updated its 17-player pool that's expected to participate in training camp from Aug. 5-9.

Following a run of high-profile withdrawals from the team, the latest announcement confirmed six new additions: Boston Celtics guards Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown, New York Knicks forward Julius Randle, Chicago Bulls forward Thaddeus Young, Denver Nuggets center Mason Plumlee, and Los Angeles Clippers center Montrezl Harrell.

"Since USA Basketball started the men’s national team program in 2006, we have understood the necessity of fluidity within the program and the importance of having a deep national team roster that features both young and veteran standout NBA players," the team's managing director, Jerry Colangelo, said in a statement.

"The six players we added today are all outstanding players in their own right, and along with the other players who will attend the World Cup team training camp, will offer Coach (Gregg) Popovich and his staff some remarkable athleticism and versatility."

Popovich and his staff - which includes the Steve Kerr of the Golden State Warriors, Lloyd Pierce of the Atlanta Hawks, and Villanova's Jay Wright - will select their final 12-man World Cup roster from the following group of players:

POS.PLAYERTEAM
    GKyle LowryRaptors
    GDonovan MitchellJazz
    GMarcus SmartCeltics
    GKemba WalkerCeltics
    FHarrison BarnesKings
    FJaylen BrownCeltics
    FKyle KuzmaLakers
    FKhris MiddletonBucks
    FJulius RandleKnicks
    FJayson TatumCeltics
    FP.J. TuckerRockets
    FThaddeus YoungBulls
    CAndre DrummondPistons
    CMontrezl HarrellClippers
    CBrook LopezBucks
    CMason PlumleeNuggets
    CMyles TurnerPacers

However, it appears the player pool is not finalized, as league sources told The Athletic's Shams Charania that Harrell is unlikely to attend training camp due to previous commitments. Additionally, New Orleans Pelicans shooting guard JJ Redick told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that he's been invited to attend the training camp, but has not yet made a decision on participating.

Additionally, USA Basketball announced its 13-player "Select Team" pool, which will be coached by Jeff Van Gundy with Gonzaga's Mark Few serving as an assistant. The developmental squad will work with the main team during the upcoming training camp.

POS.PLAYERTEAM
    GJalen BrunsonMavericks
    GPat ConnaughtonBucks
    GDe'Aaron FoxKings
    GLandry ShametClippers
    GDerrick WhiteSpurs
    GTrae YoungHawks
    FMarvin Bagley IIIKings
    FMikal BridgesSuns
    FJohn CollinsHawks
    FJoe HarrisNets
    FJonathan IsaacMagic
    CJarrett AllenNets
    CMitchell RobinsonKnicks

Team USA's World Cup run will begin on Sept. 1 in Shanghai, China, when the two-time reigning champions take on the Czech Republic.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    No Jackie Moon in the lineup?
    I hope that the teams don't get crappy and we start losing to Lithuania again...
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    I hope that the teams don't get crappy and we start losing to Lithuania again...
    Haha, are you scared allready??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    There's still a lot of talent on that team, but the rest of the world is a lot better than 10 years ago. Apart from usually great teams like Spain, Canada are getting stronger, Australia have most of their team in the NBA. This World Cup doesn't have all the best players involved for these teams either.
    The next Olympics should be the most competitive one in decades with 4 or 5 real chances at beating anyone on their day.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    23scidoo said:
    Haha, are you scared allready??
    No Coder said:
    There's still a lot of talent on that team, but the rest of the world is a lot better than 10 years ago. Apart from usually great teams like Spain, Canada are getting stronger, Australia have most of their team in the NBA. This World Cup doesn't have all the best players involved for these teams either.
    The next Olympics should be the most competitive one in decades with 4 or 5 real chances at beating anyone on their day.
    Look at the years that we did lose.  There was talent on those teams but we stunk.  No cohesion.  Pick up basketball lost to fundamentals.

No I never want to see that again.