The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Jason P said:
    Next debate needs all the candidates but using the WWE Royal Rumble format.  At some point Obama can run up to the edge of the stage and slide a folding chair to Biden when Harris has her they back turned.
    Haha! I had a similar idea during the last election . Wanted to see candidates have an American Ninja Warrior experience! Great minds...
    What's the story on the 'they' thing?
    Oh, it's a city code thing..  pretty much a waste of time.  https://news.yahoo.com/berkeley-bans-gendered-words-manhole-195405363.html
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Oh, it's a city code thing..  pretty much a waste of time.  https://news.yahoo.com/berkeley-bans-gendered-words-manhole-195405363.html
    I liked brianlux's article(from the Outrage Culture thread), it had bear-like aliens posing as city council members. :smiley:

Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    I liked brianlux's article, it had bear-like aliens posing as city council members. :smiley:

LOL, yeah, except that date is off by 10 years!

Berkeley is such a strange place.  Back in the late 60's/ early 70's you literally could not walk down Telegraph Avenue without some really super spaced out dealer mumbling as you passed by, "grass, hash, LSD...grass, hash, LSD..."    It was that very environment in which the bear-like aliens had absolutely no problem integrating into society unnoticed. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Yeah, I probably should've said fake article, but it ruins the fun for people who want to believe in bear-like aliens running the show. :heart:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Yeah, I probably should've said fake article, but it ruins the fun for people who want to believe in bear-like aliens running the show. :heart:
    Fake??  Fake you say?  Well I never!  (Well, OK, maybe once in a while  :lol: )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Biden team confirms staff is at 15 plus an hour,  no union.  Declines to attack Bernie.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/454062-biden-says-he-supports-paying-campaign-staff-15-minimum-wage
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    mrussel1 said:
    Biden team confirms staff is at 15 plus an hour,  no union.  Declines to attack Bernie.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/454062-biden-says-he-supports-paying-campaign-staff-15-minimum-wage

If the Democratic Party doesn’t put up Joe Biden, or by some miracle, another no name moderate, we are fucked with 4 more yrs. of Trump. Even then, it’s gonna take a miracle. No other way to put it anymore.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Warren tied with Sanders is scary. She is almost a guarantee to lose to Trump if she gets to the general. 

Show me the evidence. That's not what the polling shows.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_warren-6251.html

Warren is +2.5 per RCP aggregate, which is almost 1 point worse than hillary was in their aggregate Nov 2016.

Plus this current polling is with minimal attacks. Warren had no reply when Trump mocked her DNA test. Ramp up the attack machine and her numbers will decline.

Plus, we nominate someone who wants to implement medicare for all, we lose.

Warren should be smart enough to know that.

Has she signed on to M4A?  I presume she has, as neither of them can let someone be on their left flank.

"Look at the business model of an insurance company: it’s to bring as many dollars as they can in premiums, and pay out as few dollars as possible for your healthcare. That leaves families with rising premiums, rising copays, and fights with insurance companies to try to get the healthcare that their doctors say they and their children need. Medicare for All solves that problem. "

Not that I disagree with that comment but I think it's a losing argument against Trump. Let ppl who want to keep their insurance keep it and those that want Medicare get Medicare. 
    ^Totally agree.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Warren tied with Sanders is scary. She is almost a guarantee to lose to Trump if she gets to the general. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_warren-6251.html

Warren is +2.5 per RCP aggregate, which is almost 1 point worse than hillary was in their aggregate Nov 2016.

Plus this current polling is with minimal attacks. Warren had no reply when Trump mocked her DNA test. Ramp up the attack machine and her numbers will decline.

Has she signed on to M4A?  I presume she has, as neither of them can let someone be on their left flank.

"Look at the business model of an insurance company: it’s to bring as many dollars as they can in premiums, and pay out as few dollars as possible for your healthcare. That leaves families with rising premiums, rising copays, and fights with insurance companies to try to get the healthcare that their doctors say they and their children need. Medicare for All solves that problem. "

Not that I disagree with that comment but I think it's a losing argument against Trump. Let ppl who want to keep their insurance keep it and those that want Medicare get Medicare. 
    so what you are saying a , hmm what to call it or describe.

ummm.

how about a public option?

That somehow feels familiar to me. Like I've heard it mentioned before....   
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

ummm.

I think Lex is saying that the model offered by Biden and other centrists, where you keep private insurance but allow people who choose to do so, join a public option.  If the public option provides equal/better services as a better price, people will gravitate there over time, and eventually force the private sector to be more competitive, or choke them out.  It's truly a choice.  I think it's the right way to go.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

ummm.

I think Lex is saying that the model offered by Biden and other centrists, where you keep private insurance but allow people who choose to do so, join a public option.  If the public option provides equal/better services as a better price, people will gravitate there over time, and eventually force the private sector to be more competitive, or choke them out.  It's truly a choice.  I think it's the right way to go.  
    It should be in place from the ACA when it was proposed then....  
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

ummm.

Maybe, but it isn't.  If you don't qualify for true medicare or medicaid, then you are put in a pool that is bid on by private insurance.  That's why the individual mandate is so important.  If you don't have healthy, young Americans in the pool, insurance companies don't want to touch it.  Choosing medicare can help alleviate that problem.  And then people like me that have good insurance through work, can stay on our plans.  I feel like it's a win/win and creates true competition.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

ummm.

Maybe, but it isn't.  If you don't qualify for true medicare or medicaid, then you are put in a pool that is bid on by private insurance.  That's why the individual mandate is so important.  If you don't have healthy, young Americans in the pool, insurance companies don't want to touch it.  Choosing medicare can help alleviate that problem.  And then people like me that have good insurance through work, can stay on our plans.  I feel like it's a win/win and creates true competition.  
    imo thats why there was/is so much push back. most insurance companies being publically traded, there first duty is to the shareholder, whats fucking balls out odd to me is, BUYING insurance is a hedge AGAINST risk. Buying stock is an acceptance of risk....and we allow that to be flipped on its head......

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    When is the CNN debate?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

ummm.

imo thats why there was/is so much push back. most insurance companies being publically traded, there first duty is to the shareholder, whats fucking balls out odd to me is, BUYING insurance is a hedge AGAINST risk. Buying stock is an acceptance of risk....and we allow that to be flipped on its head......
    Maybe have tax-funded healthcare instead of for-profit healthcare and for-profit insurances then..?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

ummm.

The whole concept of insurance is.. I'm betting I'm going to break.  The insurance company is betting I'm not going to break.  
    And you're right about their first duty.  But that's why the public/private option can work.  If people are migrating off private into public, they will have to change their pricing.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

ummm.

The whole concept of insurance is.. I'm betting I'm going to break.  The insurance company is betting I'm not going to break.  
    And you're right about their first duty.  But that's why the public/private option can work.  If people are migrating off private into public, they will have to change their pricing.  
    and yet when we "win" that bet , they find a way to welch on it, or even come back months or even a year later  and bill what was initially covered...

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

ummm.

and yet when we "win" that bet , they find a way to welch on it, or even come back months or even a year later  and bill what was initially covered...
    Agreed.  I have heard of this happening.  It's not happened to me, but still sucks.  
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Harris is done for.  She has angered the Taylor Swift fans.  Only pissing off the Bey Hive could be more disastrous for a presidential nomination.  

She he might as well retire to a remote cabin and call it a day. 
    Jason P said:
    Harris is done for.  She has angered the Taylor Swift fans.  Only pissing off the Bey Hive could be more disastrous for a presidential nomination.  

Taylor Swift is my number one choice for president.
    Jason P said:

What happened?

mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

What happened?

Fundraiser with some dude Swift is beefing with I think (not Kanye). 
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Here's a timely article regarding the public option.  Trump's Medicare/aid admin puts out a load of BS, claiming it's unfair to have the private insurers compete with the gov't.  Medicare +5% is the current proposal.  If the privates can't compete with that based on price and level of service, then we should be on M4A.  Certainly some will exit the market, but let the people choose.  
    I think this idea is a real winner, politically and in practice.  
    https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/454145-verma-bashes-public-option-as-no-better-than-medicare-for-all
    edited July 2019

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard says Trump is "inciting Racism" | The View

https://youtu.be/ioMNtHg2d_g

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Calls Harris' Exchange with Biden "Underhanded" | The View
    https://youtu.be/eCBeS1jVWlo

Gabbard has the Nancy look

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Oh so now they're NOT a circular firing squad of dumbasses? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Oh so now they're NOT a circular firing squad of dumbasses? 
    Yes, I changed it because Trump was kind enough to coalesce the caucus for the Democrats.  Also, Biden didn't take the bait on Bernie's staff.  Can the progressives also show restraint?  We'll see what happens at the next debate.
This discussion has been closed.