Options

Eddie Murphy getting $70 million for a comedy special (netflix)

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I canceled Netflix a month ago after they raised prices for the third time in two years and become more expensive then HBO per month. I plan on renewing in a few months to catch up and then cancel for a few more.  I was an OG subscriber since the ol’ DVD in the mail days.

Eddie won’t get me back.  $11 / month will.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    I’m sure this will go over well in a PC society. I wished this happen 20 years ago when it still could have been a huge success. Truth is, you cannot joke about anything anymore without offending someone.
    tired take. 

You don't need to call gay people "fags" and joke about them being feminine to be funny.
    Thanks for teaching me how to interpret humor. 
    No problems.

I liked Chris Tuckers netflix special, but I found his jokes about raping women in bad taste and not funny at all. It was off putting. What did you think of it? And does that make me a part of this problem you feel exist?

And most stuff from RAW and Delicious would still work today. Or what in them can't you joke about? if you remove the homophobia that is?
    Most of what is in Raw couldn’t be joked about. The first bit that came to mind is the one about Johnny Carson and his wife getting half of all his assets in the divorce. “When you’re married to Johnny Carson, you’re only job is fuck your husband.” Hilarious line that still rings true today and I guarantee people today would have a problem with the bit.
    Haha. Bill Burr and people joke about similar things today, I would say. So... He's a bit less pussy-focused I get.

I just love watching Eddie do characters. Haha. He's so damn charming. 

https://youtu.be/SniOXFhwIZ8
    Bill Burr has a bit ridiculing how people got easily offended at a domestic violence joke.
    What was the joke?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Jason P said:
    I canceled Netflix a month ago after they raised prices for the third time in two years and become more expensive then HBO per month. I plan on renewing in a few months to catch up and then cancel for a few more.  I was an OG subscriber since the ol’ DVD in the mail days.

Take one month and go through Eddies new stuff, The Toys That Made Us season 3 and Pearl Jam Touring Band 2020. 

Will be worth it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    edited July 2019
    I’m sure this will go over well in a PC society. I wished this happen 20 years ago when it still could have been a huge success. Truth is, you cannot joke about anything anymore without offending someone.
    tired take. 

You don't need to call gay people "fags" and joke about them being feminine to be funny.
    Bill Burr has a bit ridiculing how people got easily offended at a domestic violence joke.
    What was the joke?

https://youtu.be/0lr97vUOAiI

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

Yeah, same here.  Keeping it until I catch the last couple episodes of Stranger Things and a few of Comedians in Cars, then bye-bye.

As to the OP, the amount bothers me no more than paying professional sports players a shitload of money.  Or actors and the like.

And I love Murphy's humor.  Inch up to the line, put your toes on it, even cross it.  Some of the best did it - Carlin, Kinison, Miller, Williams, Hicks...the list goes on.

Bring it on, Eddie!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, same here.  Keeping it until I catch the last couple episodes of Stranger Things and a few of Comedians in Cars, then bye-bye.

As to the OP, the amount bothers me no more than paying professional sports players a shitload of money.  Or actors and the like.

And I love Murphy's humor.  Inch up to the line, put your toes on it, even cross it.  Some of the best did it - Carlin, Kinison, Miller, Williams, Hicks...the list goes on.

Bring it on, Eddie!
    ...but The Toys That Made Us season 3 will talk about Turtles :/
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Jason P said:

Bring it on, Eddie!
    ...but The Toys That Made Us season 3 will talk about Turtles :/
    I have no idea what that is, so it surely won't sweeten the deal.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Jason P said:

Is that for streaming?  I'm on the DVD plan and it hasn't been raised in several years.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

Is that for streaming?  I'm on the DVD plan and it hasn't been raised in several years.
    yeah ... they kept raising it.  anywho, i would usually spend more time navigating their movie and show menu then actually watching movies and shows ... much more time now that I think about it!

I think I will spend the next few months building a study for some reading ... maybe
  • Options
    tired take. 

What was the joke?

https://youtu.be/0lr97vUOAiI

If it was the bars way to say "no bar fights" then I thought it was funny.

Maybe I am not PK after all.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    I really don’t know what you guys are talking about, a few years ago Daniel Tosh released a special where he spends 5-10 minutes listing things that we need to thank Osama bin Laden for, such as not having to walk our girlfriends into the airport anymore. Then he says “that alone was at least worth a tower!” Jim Jeffries has his famous bit about gun control, but in the very same special he jokes for several minutes about how women don’t deserve to make as much money as men and about how the only reason men love anal sex is because “we know you fucking hate it.” He has since been given 2 more Netflix specials and hosts a liberal news show on Comedy Central that often promotes feminist issues. There’s always going to be that small % of people that get pissed off about every little thing, but as long as you aren’t a non-African American person saying the n-word (not a problem for Eddie) or a straight person calling people the other f-word then you’ll probably be fine because you’re making jokes and most people get that. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    Jason P said:
    I'm guessing Jim Parsons saw how much Seinfeld was making sitting on his butt and realized as a 46 year old man he didn't need to keep showing up at work playing a 30 year old nerd for a show that is 1% as funny as Seinfeld but will end up paying him just as much.  Although I'm not sure Big Bang will have the shelf life of Seinfeld ...
    I think this is an understatement. 

As for Eddie Murphy, I can't even remember the last time he was funny. And as he told Seinfeld on Comedians in Cars, he hasn't been on stage in years. His comeback special wouldn't be like Chappelle's, who though he wasn't in the public eye for some time, he was still performing regularly. I have pretty low expectations for this. But hey, if some idiots wanted to give me $70 million, I'd take it to. So more power to Eddie. Maybe it'll be funny. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    Jason P said:
    I'm guessing Jim Parsons saw how much Seinfeld was making sitting on his butt and realized as a 46 year old man he didn't need to keep showing up at work playing a 30 year old nerd for a show that is 1% as funny as Seinfeld but will end up paying him just as much.  Although I'm not sure Big Bang will have the shelf life of Seinfeld ...

As for Eddie Murphy, I can't even remember the last time he was funny. And as he told Seinfeld on Comedians in Cars, he hasn't been on stage in years. His comeback special wouldn't be like Chappelle's, who though he wasn't in the public eye for some time, he was still performing regularly. I have pretty low expectations for this. But hey, if some idiots wanted to give me $70 million, I'd take it to. So more power to Eddie. Maybe it'll be funny. 
    I saw the comedians in cars episode with Murphy last night and thought it was ok. nothing too great. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

I saw the comedians in cars episode with Murphy last night and thought it was ok. nothing too great. 
    Murphy is the most somber low key But still 10 out of 10 charming person in the world. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

Murphy is the most somber low key But still 10 out of 10 charming person in the world. 
    Agreed.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

Agreed.  
    He's definitely charming. I could have watched another hour of that Comedians in Cars. And it was already the longest episode. And him talking about his interactions with Cosby in the 80's were fascinating as hell.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    RiotZact said:
    I really don’t know what you guys are talking about, a few years ago Daniel Tosh released a special where he spends 5-10 minutes listing things that we need to thank Osama bin Laden for, such as not having to walk our girlfriends into the airport anymore. Then he says “that alone was at least worth a tower!” Jim Jeffries has his famous bit about gun control, but in the very same special he jokes for several minutes about how women don’t deserve to make as much money as men and about how the only reason men love anal sex is because “we know you fucking hate it.” He has since been given 2 more Netflix specials and hosts a liberal news show on Comedy Central that often promotes feminist issues. There’s always going to be that small % of people that get pissed off about every little thing, but as long as you aren’t a non-African American person saying the n-word (not a problem for Eddie) or a straight person calling people the other f-word then you’ll probably be fine because you’re making jokes and most people get that. 
    I think this post is the same point I was trying to make. Everyone’s a hypocrite. Just laugh and have fun unless it’s something blatantly offensive. Can you imagine Murphy doing the Japanese, “Mr. Fuck you man!” Impersonation today? Everything is offensive to someone, somewhere. It’s exhausting. 
  • Options
    Murphy s ice cream bit is my favorite comedic segment of all time.  
  • Options
    We cringed at Murphy's description of his phone call with Pryor.

I found him hilarious (still!) when it came naturally; I like the fact that he's not always "on".
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532

I still don't get how Netflix is too expensive.  I pay $12.99 for each month.  A cheap lunch is $9.50 but usually runs about $13.  I don't see how getting all that Netflix offers for the price of a lunch is expensive. 

• Options

I still don't get how Netflix is too expensive.  I pay $12.99 for each month.  A cheap lunch is $9.50 but usually runs about $13.  I don't see how getting all that Netflix offers for the price of a lunch is expensive. 

Eveything is relative. 

”But I used to pay...” Is a strong thing. 
  • Options
    I switched to T-Mobile and they are paying my Netflix bill for a year. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I switched to T-Mobile and they are paying my Netflix bill for a year. 
    Good. Because in a year everyone Will leave for Disney+
  • Options

Priorities.  Use vs. amount paid.  Keep yours and enjoy it; just not worth it anymore for me.

(although that may change when the new Mindhunter comes out)
  • Options
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    Anybody see him on the Saturday Night Live special?  Very uninspiring...

His bit with the family BBQ is the best.

"Gus.  Why's the fire so big?"
    "Look at Charlie over there with third degree burns... Eatin a muthafukin frank."
  • Options
    Anybody see him on the Saturday Night Live special?  Very uninspiring...

His bit with the family BBQ is the best.

"Gus.  Why's the fire so big?"
    "Look at Charlie over there with third degree burns... Eatin a muthafukin frank."
    He couldn't help himself from slipping in some jokes here:

https://youtu.be/TTfCqGtV1zU
  • Options
    My suggestion, would be for you and all other PC-doomsday shouters to take a listen to wonderful Eddie here:

https://youtu.be/wfLjhW8eioc
  • Options
  • Options
    He has 2-3 hours of 1 line premises for standup

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1207-eddie-murphy