Options

Eddie Murphy getting $70 million for a comedy special (netflix)

According to TMZ.

He is also the first (very somber) guest in the new season of Comedians in Cars getting coffee.

https://youtu.be/v1dduefw3_s
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Should be interesting.  Eddie is a very funny man.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    Should be interesting.  Eddie is a very funny man.
    Yeah, and he must be the Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd of comedy. Everyone wants him to get back on stage
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    I’m sure this will go over well in a PC society. I wished this happen 20 years ago when it still could have been a huge success. Truth is, you cannot joke about anything anymore without offending someone.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I’m sure this will go over well in a PC society. I wished this happen 20 years ago when it still could have been a huge success. Truth is, you cannot joke about anything anymore without offending someone.
    tired take. 

You don't need to call gay people "fags" and joke about them being feminine to be funny.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    IT WILL BE AMAZING. 

He will joke about how he just likes hanging at home doing nothing with his kids. 
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Netflix and Eddie are going to be in deep shit in a few days once the woke crowd pops in one of his old specials.  I can see this getting canceled by next Tuesday.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    edited July 2019
    According to TMZ.

He is also the first (very somber) guest in the new season of Comedians in Cars getting coffee.

https://youtu.be/v1dduefw3_s
    I don't know... to me, neither of those guys are very funny any more.  Certainly not 70 million bucks worth of funny.  I'll pass.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Seinfeld makes more then $70M a year from reruns
  • Options
    I'm guessing Jim Parsons saw how much Seinfeld was making sitting on his butt and realized as a 46 year old man he didn't need to keep showing up at work playing a 30 year old nerd for a show that is 1% as funny as Seinfeld but will end up paying him just as much.  Although I'm not sure Big Bang will have the shelf life of Seinfeld ...
  • Options
    tired take. 

You don't need to call gay people "fags" and joke about them being feminine to be funny.
    Thanks for teaching me how to interpret humor. And also for misinterpreting my post in epically bad fashion.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    Who ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    70M?  Insane.   That cannot be true.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tired take. 

Thanks for teaching me how to interpret humor. 
    No problems.

I liked Chris Tuckers netflix special, but I found his jokes about raping women in bad taste and not funny at all. It was off putting. What did you think of it? And does that make me a part of this problem you feel exist?

And most stuff from RAW and Delicious would still work today. Or what in them can't you joke about? if you remove the homophobia that is?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Well I just read Chappelle got $60M for his three stand up specials.  I guess I get why people asking for $15 am hour isn’t an unreasonable request.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    70M?  Insane.   That cannot be true.
    Chapelle got 60 million for three specials. And I think two of them were already recorded...

70 million is for a series of specials (I'm guessing 3 then or 2 and something else...) and the number is not fully confirmed:

The reclusive comedy legend, 58, hasn’t been on the standup stage in years, but he’s reportedly in talks with Netflix for a series of comedy specials, sources close to Murphy tell TMZ.

The streaming giant’s big lure: a whopping $70 million paycheck.

TMZ admits they’ve been “unable to firmly confirm the exact figure” at this point, but that dollar amount is certainly in line with what headliners of the “Beverly Hills Cop” legend’s caliber can demand from the streaming giant.

Dave Chappelle raked in $20 million for each of his three award-winning specials, Chris Rock banked $40 million for his two-show package and Amy Schumer reportedly asked for — and received — more than $11 million for her last Netflix showcase.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Jason P said:
    Seinfeld makes more then $70M a year from reruns
    Didn't Netflix also pay like 100 million for some of his comedy-stuff and his comedians in cars-show.
  • Options
    Well I just read Chappelle got $60M for his three stand up specials.  I guess I get why people asking for $15 am hour isn’t an unreasonable request.
    I have to agree with you there...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Perfectly said!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    tired take. 

Thanks for teaching me how to interpret humor. And also for misinterpreting my post in epically bad fashion.
    You are right.  If he goes all PC then it will not be the Eddie that we have come to know.  But will he go PC.  Netflix airs the Ranch and nothing PC about that show...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    tired take. 

You are right.  If he goes all PC then it will not be the Eddie that we have come to know.  But will he go PC.  Netflix airs the Ranch and nothing PC about that show...
    So what would he not be able to joke about in this PC hell you are scared off?
  • Options
    I think I will go on a speaking tour to promote my book.  I think $70 mil for a speaking tour is reasonable.  I'll settle for that.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I think I will go on a speaking tour to promote my book.  I think $70 mil for a speaking tour is reasonable.  I'll settle for that.
    How many people will you draw into the book stores?

Netflix calculates that Murphy will draw in 70 million worth of subscribers 

:) 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    brianlux said:

Interesting. I would have thought that a huge chunk of the target market was already subscribed to Netflix. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    edited July 2019
    Just to be clear this is for more than one (1) comedy special. Probably three (3).

I saw him 3 times in the early/mid 80s. One of the funniest I ever saw.
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    brianlux said:

Interesting. I would have thought that a huge chunk of the target market was already subscribed to Netflix. 
    Looks like they need the Murphy specials.

From Thursday’s news:

Netflix loses $16 billion in market value following surprise subscriber miss

• Netflix lost paid U.S. subscribers for the first time in eight years and fell below analyst estimates for international subscriber growth.
    • Netflix lost billions from its market cap Thursday following the report.
    • The company forecast 5 million global net adds for the quarter, but only saw 2.7 million
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Obviously keeping people subscribing also :)
  • Options
    tired take. 

No problems.

I liked Chris Tuckers netflix special, but I found his jokes about raping women in bad taste and not funny at all. It was off putting. What did you think of it? And does that make me a part of this problem you feel exist?

And most stuff from RAW and Delicious would still work today. Or what in them can't you joke about? if you remove the homophobia that is?
    Most of what is in Raw couldn’t be joked about. The first bit that came to mind is the one about Johnny Carson and his wife getting half of all his assets in the divorce. “When you’re married to Johnny Carson, you’re only job is fuck your husband.” Hilarious line that still rings true today and I guarantee people today would have a problem with the bit.
  • Options
    tired take. 

No problems.

Most of what is in Raw couldn’t be joked about. The first bit that came to mind is the one about Johnny Carson and his wife getting half of all his assets in the divorce. “When you’re married to Johnny Carson, you’re only job is fuck your husband.” Hilarious line that still rings true today and I guarantee people today would have a problem with the bit.
    Haha. Bill Burr and people joke about similar things today, I would say. So... He's a bit less pussy-focused I get.

I just love watching Eddie do characters. Haha. He's so damn charming. 

https://youtu.be/SniOXFhwIZ8
  • Options
    tired take. 

No problems.

Haha. Bill Burr and people joke about similar things today, I would say. So... He's a bit less pussy-focused I get.

I just love watching Eddie do characters. Haha. He's so damn charming. 

https://youtu.be/SniOXFhwIZ8
    Bill Burr has a bit ridiculing how people got easily offended at a domestic violence joke.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Far fewer, of course, but my 20 or so fans are all fabulously wealthy so what's a mere 70 mil?