What book are you reading?

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Ms. Haiku said:
    First book of the Guido Brunetti series by Donna Leon - Death at La Fenice 
    I finished the second volume in the series. Pretty intense at the end. I don't have #3, but I started #4.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy. About 3/4 of the way done with it & it's been a good read so far.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Yay, book form!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103

Free on Amazon Prime.
    mfc2006 said:
    The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy. About 3/4 of the way done with it & it's been a good read so far.
    Finished this on Tuesday & read Election by Tom Perotta right after. Both great. 

I started Jon Krakauer's "Missoula" last night.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    el asesinato de pitagoras marcos chicot
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Yay, book form!
    Brave soul, reading all that!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited May 2019
    Tom Petty fans, this one is a must.  Only have had time for a few chapters but loving it already:

And here is what could be considered Zane's postscript or  last chapter for that book:

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483

The idea is....eating meat is not inherently wrong, but the way we treat the animals we raise for food is horrible.
    I eat meat, but am working it out of my diet. 
    Meat eaters should read even if it doesn't change your mind.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    The Fifth Risk
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    sopranos sessions.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    a book on the knights templar 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I just finished reading Kim Gordon's Girl In a Band and Danny Goldberg's Serving the Servant. Both great reads.

Has anyone read any Philip K. Dick or Nietzsche? I am interested in giving books by these authors a go.
    I found a copy of The Antichrist by Nietzsche on a university website and will give that a go. I read the wikipedia page about it and it interests me. 
    I've been listening to Sister by Sonic Youth and read that the album was based loosely on the works of Philip K. Dick.
    He has so many titles I don't know what I'd like. Counter-clock world seems interesting. 
    Any recommendations? 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    I just finished reading Kim Gordon's Girl In a Band and Danny Goldberg's Serving the Servant. Both great reads.

Has anyone read any Philip K. Dick or Nietzsche? I am interested in giving books by these authors a go.
    I found a copy of The Antichrist by Nietzsche on a university website and will give that a go. I read the wikipedia page about it and it interests me. 
    I've been listening to Sister by Sonic Youth and read that the album was based loosely on the works of Philip K. Dick.
    He has so many titles I don't know what I'd like. Counter-clock world seems interesting. 
    Any recommendations? 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VALIS_trilogy
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Thanks
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377

• MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    Sean and David's Long Drive.

I would say it's like that movie Sideways.

Hands down funniest book. Sean Condon use to write books and he's such a smart ass and has a very good sense of humor. Hes Australian but lives in Amsterdam now with his wife and daughter. I would say a mix between Larry David and Anthony bourdain sense of humor.
    I rarely re-read books ("so many books, so little time"), but this one is proving to be WELL worth the second go-around!  One of my favorites from Henry:

I saw a pop up book store today selling all books for $5.
    I bought these four titles, not sure I will even have time to read one seeing I am back to studying next week.
    Has anyone read any of these? I am glad I found a Philip K. Dick and a Nietzsche book. These are the only books of theirs on shelf.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    I rarely re-read books ("so many books, so little time"), but this one is proving to be WELL worth the second go-around!  One of my favorites from Henry:

Ha! I'm always re-reading books! 

Presently, I'm re-reading a new-to-me translation of this one.

Great translation so far. I must check out some of their other Dostoevsky translations.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Enkidu said:
    Two great books.  
    How is Midnight in Chernobyl?  It's on my to-read list but after watching the Chernobyl series on HBO I wasn't ready to dive into a book quite yet.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

Probably the most important book I've read in a long while.  Great look at how baked into our society racism really is and how it's not just the banks and realtors that denied people of color opportunities but the US government's role as well.  He also discusses how current segregation patterns are linked to these original abuses and the role of the 2008 housing crisis in the lives of people of color.  Very eye-opening, and in today's climate, a very necessary look at systemic racism.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Russell Brand Mentor. Meh. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Howard Stern Comes Again

great book...transcripts of interviews with some commentary
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Psychological Testing: Principles, Applications, and Issues (8th ed.)

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Recently been slamming through Winston Graham's Poldark novels.  Love the PBS series, now reading the books, I can't get enough.  Going to miss the series when it's over this year.  
    Just finished Fight Club.
    The Stranger, Albert Camus. Translated by Matthew Ward (1989).