Options

Is this vinyl player good?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
edited June 2019 in Other Music
So the ON-OFF stick is broken off, so my dad gave it to me. 

Is it a common/good player (Pioneer PL-510)? Worth trying to find a new "stick"..? (Is that even possible?) I also think the arm doesn't go back automatically at the end of playing a side. Should I just buy a brand new vinyl player instead?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    edited June 2019
    Though I don't know about your model's quality specifically,  many turntables do not have a tone arm that automatically goes back at the end of a disc.  Though many have the lever to raise the tone arm up and down, it is hardly a necesity, just be gentle lifting  and dropping the needle.  If it sounds good save the money and keep it!
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I personally like the automatic players where the arm comes back after the side is over. I don’t always want to get up right away so it’s nice.
    i can’t comment on that player myself.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The PL-510 is a manual turntable so it is not designed to return the arm after the runout.

I think this may be the part you need, but don't quote me on it: https://organdonorparts.com/Pioneer-PL-510A-Turntable-Cueing-Post-Spring-P137-24.htm
  • Options
    The PL-510 is a manual turntable so it is not designed to return the arm after the runout.

I think this may be the part you need, but don't quote me on it: https://organdonorparts.com/Pioneer-PL-510A-Turntable-Cueing-Post-Spring-P137-24.htm
    Oh my little sweet bunny of a man, that must be it!!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Maybe it was the arm going up, and not going back my dad meant.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited June 2019
    I personally can't stand a turntable that isn't automatic (i.e. the arm doesn't lift and return after the end of a record). It drives me crazy to have the record just spinning and spinning and the needle wearing away if I don't lift it off. You can't fall asleep to a record that way. It is so strange to me that most TTs aren't auto. But that is an annoying fact (with very weak justifications), so good ones are harder to find. But they do exist, and I think it's worth it to seek one out (if you're buying new, I would recommend the Denon DP300F, since it's the one I have and i'm very pleased with it (with an upgraded cartridge, which is necessary). Plus, the model is some years old now, so they are going for cheaper than they were before.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    A non-automatic doesn't normally lift either as far as I know.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    A non-automatic doesn't normally lift either as far as I know.
    ARE YOU CALLING MY DAD A LIAR? :P
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I personally can't stand a turntable that isn't automatic (i.e. the arm lifts and returns after the end of a record). It drives me crazy to have the record just spinning and spinning and the needle wearing away if I don't lift it off. You can't fall asleep to a record that way. It is so strange to me that most TTs aren't auto. But that is an annoying fact (with very weak justifications), so good ones are harder to find. But they do exist, and I think it's worth it to seek one out (if you're buying new, I would recommend the Denon DP300F, since it's the one I have and i'm very pleased with it (with an upgraded cartridge, which is necessary). Plus, the model is some years old now, so they are going for cheaper than they were before.
    Hmm. Will check it out... will have to buy a DAC (?) too.. because my reciever can't take analouge
  • Options
    I like the U-turn. But I don't know how good it is. And it can be bought in Sweden.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I've heard pretty good reviews for the U-Turn - for the low price it has very good quality sound, so I've read. It's also rather attractive, and comes in various colours. It's not an automatic, and it is a very basic TT, but it does the job. I personally would feel a little hesitant because of that unusual external belt drive that is has. I feel like I'd manage to fuck it up somehow, lol. But it is kinda cool looking.
    Aside from not being automatic, it has another downside: the dust cover isn't on hinges. You have to lift the whole thing off apparently. That would be a deal breaker for me (well, the fact that it's not automatic would already be a deal breaker, but still).
    This is a nice budget TT. If you can afford a better one, get a better one. There is the U-Turn Orbit Special that I've heard very good reviews of - it like the higher quality version of the basic U-Turn. But of course that means it's more expensive. There is also a middle of the road version, the U-Turn orbit plus.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    ^^^
    i personally really wanted to grab a house of Marley table but the fact it’s not automatic turned me off. Absolutely beautiful design but has some faults like most of the ones under $250
  • Options

This place won't send as "gift" to Sweden so I worry about custom charges.

Anyone in here that would be willing to buy this for me and then just send it to me in a plain envelope? Can pay in a PJ Gift Card, or through paypal or whatever.

If someone would be kind enough...
  • Options
    Really? Customs charges on $16.00
    thats horrifying 
  • Options
    Really? Customs charges on $16.00
    thats horrifying 
    It used to be a "defacto" rule of letting everything under 25 dollars pass.Which was great when I collected DVDs back in the day.

Then everyone in Sweden started using an app to order a million things cheap from China. And it put such a burden on the postoffice that they changed their policy and started stopping every package (Coming from outside of the EU).
  • Options
    No one can help me out? :/
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I would, but it makes no sense for a Canadian to do it, if saving money is your goal. The Canada-U.S. exchange rate stinks right now, and then the extra shipping costs to get it to Canada from the U.S ..... I hope some nice American helps you out! But if not... just how much would the customs fee be on a $16 item???
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I would, but it makes no sense for a Canadian to do it, if saving money is your goal. The Canada-U.S. exchange rate stinks right now, and then the extra shipping costs to get it to Canada from the U.S ..... I hope some nice American helps you out! But if not... just how much would the customs fee be on a $16 item???
    I think it would be:

Order total with shipping: $30

A flat fee of like $8 just to handle the package
    A 7% customs charge =
    25% in VAT 

=  $17,5 extra. 

Total = $47,5

Someone from the US buying it, the shipping cost less to begin with and shipping here would be less.

So if someone would help me that would be great... Begging on my bare knees. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    Compared to new turntables currently on the market, that Pioneer is very competitive in operation and performance. You would be looking at the $1000.00 price range to find a significantly better performing unit.

Even with shipping and customs fees, it would be worthwhile to repair. 

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it would be:

A 7% customs charge =
    25% in VAT 

=  $17,5 extra. 

Total = $47,5

Someone from the US buying it, the shipping cost less to begin with and shipping here would be less.

That is insane!!! What is up with the Swedish government making the fees so steep?? Do the citizen support this? I get customs fees in general - they exist for obvious reasons - but for them to be so high on such low value items seems almost punitive.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it would be:

A 7% customs charge =
    25% in VAT 

=  $17,5 extra. 

Total = $47,5

That is insane!!! What is up with the Swedish government making the fees so steep?? Do the citizen support this? I get customs fees in general - they exist for obvious reasons - but for them to be so high on such low value items seems almost punitive.
    My answer a few posts up:

It used to be a "defacto" rule of letting everything under 25 dollars pass. Which was great when I collected DVDs back in the day.

Then everyone in Sweden started using an app to order a million things cheap from China. And it put such a burden on the postoffice that they changed their policy and started stopping every package (Coming from outside of the EU).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it would be:

A 7% customs charge =
    25% in VAT 

=  $17,5 extra. 

Total = $47,5

It used to be a "defacto" rule of letting everything under 25 dollars pass. Which was great when I collected DVDs back in the day.

Yeah, I already read that before when you posted it the first time, but the sheer amount of the fees on small dollar amounts is outrageous even with this explanation. I can't imagine Swedes are cool with it... You definitely don't seem to be.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it would be:

A 7% customs charge =
    25% in VAT 

=  $17,5 extra. 

Total = $47,5

Yeah, I already read that before when you posted it the first time, but the sheer amount of the fees on small dollar amounts is outrageous even with this explanation. I can't imagine Swedes are cool with it... You definitely don't seem to be.
    I don't have a problem per se paying (the difference up to) swedish VAT etc.

I do not like the handling fee, which kills smaller orders. Like this.

It is what it is. Harder buying from the US. Buying from within the EU is how I have to try to do it nowadays. 

Or have people write it as "gift" instead of the packages value. Works from ebay often. But not in this case. 
  • Options
    Okey, one last chance if someone can find it in their heart to help me out.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it would be:

A 7% customs charge =
    25% in VAT 

=  $17,5 extra. 

Total = $47,5

Maybe that's how they help pay for their social programs...because from what I have read about Sweden, they rock when it comes to taking care of their citizens...something we need to do.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Okey, one last chance if someone can find it in their heart to help me out.
    it is 11 to ship to Canada.  I doubt they would charge duty.  But as PJ said the exchange rate is shit and might get worse,  LOL.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Another solution to the auto tone arm lifter this is available but not cheap https://eu.audio-technica.com/AT6006R

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it would be:

A 7% customs charge =
    25% in VAT 

=  $17,5 extra. 

Total = $47,5

It's not just Sweden.  I tried to get a Raptors cap out of the US ... 29$ hat comes with13$ in duties...government are criminal...
    Give Peas A Chance…