Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    There is video and there wasn't any burglary.  Dude on the motorcycle came up on his backside and shot him in the back execution style.

That's friggin messed up.

Some locals caught the guy and tuned him up good.  He is in the hospital getting treated for wounds suffered by the locals, good for them.

I've never heard of Ortiz being in trouble off the field so this is a shock.

What is wrong w people?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    There is video and there wasn't any burglary.  Dude on the motorcycle came up on his backside and shot him in the back execution style.

That's friggin messed up.

Some locals caught the guy and tuned him up good.  He is in the hospital getting treated for wounds suffered by the locals, good for them.

I've never heard of Ortiz being in trouble off the field so this is a shock.

What is wrong w people?
    According to the AP it happened in a bar.  Misinformation all around. 

The DR has had a really tough few weeks.  There have been American tourists dying in hotels, being kidnapped, etc.  It was turning into a real vacation hotspot, but that's changing.  I had actually thought about taking my family down there this summer, but scrapped it after a few of the issues.  It's only worsened since then.  
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    be well Big Papi.   seems like a great dude so don't understand this.  hopefully he has no long term issues but can never be sure when there is trauma to internal organs.  right now seems like he will be ok.  
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Here is one way to not get shot....don't sleep with a drug lords wife.
  • Options
    Is that the going rumor?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Is that the going rumor?
    That's pretty stupid if true.

Should be pretty easy to trace too.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Is that the going rumor?
    His camp is obviously denying it.  The link I saw it at and the original source.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/06/10/report-police-believe-a-drug-lord-had-david-ortiz-shot-over-alleged-affair-with-wife/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7124467/Crowd-attacks-suspect-accused-shooting-David-Big-Papi-Ortiz.html
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,417
    WOW!

Think we need to pump the breaks and wait until the official report comes out? (I haven't heard one yet)

Remember first report was he was shot in the leg? 
  • Options
    cutz said:
    WOW!

Think we need to pump the breaks and wait until the official report comes out? (I haven't heard one yet)

Remember first report was he was shot in the leg? 
    Yeah, I haven't followed it all that much.  News was coming out about it as I was going to sleep and had a busy day today, but I do think I remember seeing it was his leg originally.  Also that it was a robbery, which it wasn't.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Glad he is ok and hope he has a full and fast recovery.  I don’t care what the story or reason or motive is, you should not have to walk the earth in fear of being shot. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    Glad he is ok and hope he has a full and fast recovery.  I don’t care what the story or reason or motive is, you should not have to walk the earth in fear of being shot. 

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    NY Post is running the drug lord story too.

Again though, they caught the guy and he is gonna talk so they will get whomever is the head of this.

Pappi is a God down there.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Well said. I completely agree.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Another of baseball's classic unwritten rules!
  • Options
    This confrontation was hysterical.

Muncy says "if you don't want me to stare at it then go get it out of the ocean for me"

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/video/david-samson-discusses-the-confrontation-between-max-muncy-and-madison-bumgarner/
  • Options

Muncy says "if you don't want me to stare at it then go get it out of the ocean for me"

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/video/david-samson-discusses-the-confrontation-between-max-muncy-and-madison-bumgarner/
    I used to like Bumgarner.  Now all he does is cry when people take him yard.

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,417

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I thought it was funny too.

Is this what you get when you do not obey the "un-written" rules?>HAHAHA
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    by the way the ball is juiced. Phils-Dbacks last night had 13 combined home runs. on a not great night to hit.  
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    by the way the ball is juiced. Phils-Dbacks last night had 13 combined home runs. on a not great night to hit.  
    I want the mound raised and people tell me that it isn't necessary...
  • Options
    Gary Sanchez leads the AL in home runs, as a catcher and after missing 2 weeks.  That is all.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Gary Sanchez leads the AL in home runs, as a catcher and after missing 2 weeks.  That is all.
    And is 4 away from having the most for a catcher by July 1st...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    And is 4 away from having the most for a catcher by July 1st...
    Better enjoy it. He'll be shot by the time he's 30 and DH-ing about 100 games a year if he's lucky.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    pjhawks said:
    Yeah, homerun craziness this year. Raising the mound even just an inch would probably make a big difference. I'd love to see some more shutouts and pitchers going deep more frequently.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    chicks dig the long ball
  • Options
    His numbers aren't bad, just raise that Avg a little more and he goes back to elite status.

I just don't think he does well on any other team that isn't stacked.

Yanks spent a lot of time developing him, he was supposed to be the superstar, not Judge.
  • Options
    His numbers aren't bad, just raise that Avg a little more and he goes back to elite status.

I just don't think he does well on any other team that isn't stacked.

Yanks spent a lot of time developing him, he was supposed to be the superstar, not Judge.
    Is he Nick Swisher?
  • Options
    Getting back to your favorite stat, exit velocity, but with as hard as he hits the ball, I think it plays anywhere.
  • Options
    Getting back to your favorite stat, exit velocity, but with as hard as he hits the ball, I think it plays anywhere.
    53 K's, 49 H, 16 BB in 183 AB's.  He needs to get on base a little bit more.

For every time he is on base he strikes out. A typical stat now a days.

It's ok to say that Sanchez isn't the monster everyone thought him to be.  My opinion of him changed.  I knew how long the Yanks have been working with him.

The game was pimping his exit velocity too.  Made mention of it a few times.  The new hot stat...
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    I'm coming around on this.  I've been against it because I've only been thinking of the immediate effect it will have on the game, which is less action because of the HR-or-nothing approach by everyone in the league (sans Dee Gordon).  But in the long run, it will force hitters change their approach to the game, perhaps bring us back in the direction of small ball.  Base hits, base running, advancing runners i.e. more action.  (Which apparently is the big issue with MLB, no action).