Immersing in one band one at a time and then another- anyone do this?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
It's sort of a life-long habit of mine.  I get totally immersed in a band for long stretches at a time.  I always listen to a variety of stuff but during these periods of time, the focus of my listening and general musical interests revolve around a single band or musician.  I guess you could even call it a phase.  And my favorites from over the years often get repeat immersions. 

It all started with the Beach Boys in the early 60's.  In the late 60's it was more diverse with Hendrix, the Who and John Mayall taking the lions share of my listening time.  Then, in the mid 70's it was Jethro Tull.  As the years went by it was Neil Young (maybe the biggest repeater), The Replacements, The Psychedelic Furs, The Ramones, Pearl Jam, Juliana Hatfield and lately, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers .  And in there, maybe a few others I can't think of right now. 

And it seems like the older I get, the more intense the immersion into a band.  Right now I feel almost obsessed with Tom Petty and his band.  (Partly due to Zanes' incredibly tremendous book, Petty.)

Is this weird and unusual, or do other people do this?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    I do not think it’s weird or unusual. I’ve done it with The Who, Bowie, Cat Stevens, Don Henley, Tom Waits, and Bob Dylan. I’m on an immersive binge-listening with PJ going on 3 years now.

p.s. There may be others I can’t recall at the moment- haven’t had my morning coffee yet. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I do this quite a lot too. Neil Young is probably the biggest repeat play for me as well - sometimes his whole discography in chronological order, sometimes just the Horse records. The Black Crowes and the Afghan Whigs would be some other examples of regular repeats. I probably spent years just listening to PJ in the early days, but it’s been a while now...

Occasionaly a song will get stuck in my head and I’ll spend a couple of days just listening to that artist. A kind of ‘short term’ binge I guess. Tom McRae, Scott Matthews, and Joseph Arthur have all been regulars over the years.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    goldrush said:
    I do this quite a lot too. Neil Young is probably the biggest repeat play for me as well - sometimes his whole discography in chronological order, sometimes just the Horse records. The Black Crowes and the Afghan Whigs would be some other examples of regular repeats. I probably spent years just listening to PJ in the early days, but it’s been a while now...

Occasionaly a song will get stuck in my head and I’ll spend a couple of days just listening to that artist. A kind of ‘short term’ binge I guess. Tom McRae, Scott Matthews, and Joseph Arthur have all been regulars over the years.
    I was wild about Joseph Arthur after seeing RNDM in 2016. Got the chance to see him 4/5 times shortly after seeing RNDM. 1st time was incredible- no mics/no amps, acoustic only room, he was fabulous. But the more I saw him the more erratic he was, actually left the last show early. Maybe I’ll take another shot with him.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

I do it all the time and have for many years.

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    I definitely listen to music „in phases“ where I almost exclusively listen to just one band. It’s been like that for years. It can last for weeks or many months.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Not weird to me.  I constantly go through the same phases.  My most recent was Sonic Youth.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Not weird to me.  I constantly go through the same phases.  My most recent was Sonic Youth.
    Fucking Thurston! Why couldn't that asshole just keep it in his pants?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I know right!?!?  I also bought a copy of Kim's memoir.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    I know right!?!?  I also bought a copy of Kim's memoir.
    Great book. A lot sadder than I thought it would be.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Thinking about which bands/artists I've immersed myself into over the years.  There may be more, but this is mostly top of mind.
    • Pearl Jam
    • The Beatles
    • Led Zeppelin
    • Neil Young (with and without Crazy Horse)
    • Johnny Cash
    • Radiohead
    • The Flaming Lips
    • Van Halen
    • Coheed and Cambria
    • Pink Floyd
    • The Black Keys
    • The White Stripes
    • Arctic Monkeys
    • Sonic Youth
    • A Tribe Called Quest
    • Gorillaz
    • Incubus
    • Brandi Carlile
    • R.E.M.
    • Stone Temple Pilots
    • Queen
    • Rage Against the Machine
    • Talking Heads
    • Wilco
    • Tom Petty (solo and w/Heartbreakers)
    • Queens of the Stone Age
    • LCD Soundsystem
    • Sam Cooke
    • Arcade Fire
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Renfield said:
    I do not think it’s weird or unusual. I’ve done it with The Who, Bowie, Cat Stevens, Don Henley, Tom Waits, and Bob Dylan. I’m on an immersive binge-listening with PJ going on 3 years now.

p.s. There may be others I can’t recall at the moment- haven’t had my morning coffee yet. 
    Cool, and good choices!

I'm a bit late getting it together with the coffee this morning myself, haha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

goldrush said:

Nice.  Yes, Neil is always great to go back to.  As time goes on, I find myself spending time listening to some of the "minor" albums- even Landing on Water when I'm feeling adventurous!

edited June 2019
    dankind said:
    dankind ,What's going on with Moore to create such a reaction?

brianlux said:
    dankind said:

Brianlux, do you know why Moore and Gordon ended their marriage?  Thurston was sleeping around on Kim, which eventually led to enough tension to supposedly break up the band.
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

Brianlux, do you know why Moore and Gordon ended their marriage?  Thurston was sleeping around on Kim, which eventually led to enough tension to supposedly break up the band.
    Bummer.  Kim is so cool.  Yeah, sounds like Thurston really blew it.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

The reason why I knew this, is because I immersed myself in Sonic Youth for a while. :-)  I love this topic!
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

The reason why I knew this, is because I immersed myself in Sonic Youth for a while. :-)  I love this topic!
    Haha!  Cool!

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    I used to do this but not anymore.  If a band that I discover has that much of a backlog then I most likely missed the fire or passion that made them great in the first place so I won't bother.  This is why I like newer music.  The desire is usually greater in the beginning.
    I used to do this but not anymore.  If a band that I discover has that much of a backlog then I most likely missed the fire or passion that made them great in the first place so I won't bother.  This is why I like newer music.  The desire is usually greater in the beginning.
    Makes sense.

I somehow have missed the fire on a number of bands and musicians the first time around.  Maybe that's because I was so immersed in someone else at the time?  I don't know.  But here are some examples:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.  I have been a fan since one day back in early 1980 when a friend of mine played me Damn the Torpedoes.  I loved seeing Petty and band with Bob Dylan when they did that great tour.  I always loved seeing the band play on late night shows.  But I also long resisted these guys a bit because they were SO DAMN BIG. At some point in my life (around the advent of punk, probably), I developed a strong distrust of anything that gained mass appeal.  But then a little while back I watched off of the Bagdanovich movie and just finished Warren Zanes' book, Petty, and it dawned on me, "Well, damn, if there's anyone who ever deserved this much attention and popularity, it's Tom Petty".  I'm hooked for life.

Dinosaur Jr.   Blame it on J's voice.  But also credit that voice.  After reading Michael Azerrad's book, Our Band Could Be Your Life, I looked into Dinosaur Jr (was already a big fan of most of the others in the book), and decided they were interesting but not my thing.  And then, years later, I came across a CD of Where You Been and like the guitar work and the weird songs but hated the voice.  And then that voice grew on me.  And grew!  Now they're one of my all-time favorites.

Juliana Hatfield.  Simply put, she just gets overlooked.  I guess some people don't like her "girly" voice.  I didn't catch on until she worked with one of my biggest musical heroes, Paul Westerberg (whom I've loved at first sight).   But again, this voice grows better with each listening and she uses it so well.  And she's such a great songwriter and a bad ass guitarist, bass player, keyboard player.  Lover her!

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Constantly.

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Sometimes.  I find lately that I immerse myself more in genres or eras.  Currently it’s alternating between jazz/swing from the 30s and 40s and R&B and Delta/Chicago Blues from the 20s to the 50s.  
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Sometimes.  I find lately that I immerse myself more in genres or eras.  Currently it’s alternating between jazz/swing from the 30s and 40s and R&B and Delta/Chicago Blues from the 20s to the 50s.  
    I can dig it!

I just thought of this thread as I'm going through a big Jack White phase (solo, White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather).
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Maybe not one band at a time, but often a different handful of bands at a time.  Some bands can overlap phases, and most always get some sort of return until they work their way into the normal rotation of everything.  This is often influenced by my concert schedule, too.
    I just thought of this thread as I'm going through a big Jack White phase (solo, White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather).
    Every now and I'll come across a thread and think, "I wonder who started this one..."  and then see it was me.  LOL, Mr. Short Term Memory.  :lol: 

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Went through the discographies of Leonard Cohen, Bowie and Petty after they passed.
    Am currently in a Cure phase surrounding their 40th anniversary and Hall of fame induction 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,595
    Always. All about dub reggae for the summer. Got sick on the beatles for a bit. Blasted my ears and mind to bits on the dead Kennedy's. Short james brown kick. Its natural. My musical mood changes all the time. Maybe its partly a seasonal thing and partly what I find at the salvation army that kicks it off. Played the smiths pretty hard for a while lately. 
  • erebus said:
    Went through the discographies of Leonard Cohen, Bowie and Petty after they passed.
    Am currently in a Cure phase surrounding their 40th anniversary and Hall of fame induction 
    If you need to talk to someone after or during your listening of the Cure I'm here for you.

This must be awful and I don't want you to do something drastic...

Nobody willingly listens to The Cure, right?
  • Loujoe said:
    Always. All about dub reggae for the summer. Got sick on the beatles for a bit. Blasted my ears and mind to bits on the dead Kennedy's. Short james brown kick. Its natural. My musical mood changes all the time. Maybe its partly a seasonal thing and partly what I find at the salvation army that kicks it off. Played the smiths pretty hard for a while lately. 
    I do Bedouin Soundclash or Jack Johnson radio during the summer, Misfits radio while riding my bike and James Brown and soul whilst cooking.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,838
    On reflection I do it too...

been listening to Aussie band You Am I a lot lately and before that Tool. I seem to just get in a ‘zone’ with a particular band for a few weeks / month at a time. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14