Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Bob Dylan's 'Blood On The Tracks' Round 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
We have now crowned 9 Champions and now will move onto another critically acclaimed album.
'Back In Black' Champion - Hells Bells
'Led Zeppelin IV' Champion - When the Levee Breaks
'Second Helping' Champion - The Needle and the Spoon
'Sports' Champion - The Heart Of Rock & Roll
'Slippery When Wet' Champion - Wanted Dead or Alive
'Dark Side of the Moon' Champion - Time
'The Stranger' Champion - Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
'Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975' Champion- Take It Easy
'Bad' Champion - Man In The Mirror

We will play this time to determine the GREATEST song on 'Blood On The Tracks' by Bob Dylan.
For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 3 days I remove the three (3) songs with the most votes.
We will then move on to Round 2. - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

Poll--The Weakest Link: Bob Dylan's 'Blood On The Tracks' Round 1 24 votes

Tangled Up In Blue
0%
Simple Twist Of Fate
0%
You're A Big Girl Now
20%
PoncierDewieCoxRS151862eddiecSmallestOceans 5 votes
Idiot Wind
8%
pledgeagrievancenjnancy 2 votes
You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
4%
brianlux 1 vote
Meet Me In The Morning
12%
erebusPJ_SoulConorKavanagh 3 votes
Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts
29%
joberschlakedankindBLACK35F Me In The BrainHobbesOffSheGoes35CsAc99 7 votes
If You See Her, Say Hello
4%
josevolution 1 vote
Shelter From The Storm
0%
Buckets Of Rain
20%
cutzdudemanOnWis97MedozKhauntingfamiliar 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Buckets Of Rain

Blood on the Tracks is the 15th studio album by singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, released on January 20, 1975. The album marked Dylan's return to Columbia Records after a two-album stint with Asylum Records. Dylan commenced recording the album in New York City in September 1974. In December, shortly before Columbia was due to release the record, Dylan abruptly re-recorded much of the material in a studio in Minneapolis. The final album contains five tracks from New York and five from Minneapolis. It initially received mixed reviews, but has subsequently been acclaimed as one of Dylan's greatest albums by critics and fans. The songs have been linked to tensions in Dylan's personal life, including estrangement from his then-wife Sara. The album has been viewed as an outstanding example of the confessional singer-songwriter's craft, and it has been called "the truest, most honest account of a love affair from tip to stern ever put down on magnetic tape". The album remains one of Dylan's best-selling studio releases, with a double-platinum U.S. certification by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). In 2015, it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Oh man, this is gonna be a toughie!  I'll have to listen to the whole record later and try to find a lesser track here.  Ouch!  

Good pick, Mr. M!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Will look forward to listening to this one before voting.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    Med give me a Beatles slbum
    next!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    You're A Big Girl Now
    Now we’re talking...
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    OK!  Listened to the whole record just now.  What a great set of songs!  I went with "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go".  It's a fine song but following the previous four tracks, it's seems a bit to hurried to me.  But what great lyrics, like:

"Dragon clouds so high above
    I've only known careless love
    It always has hit me from below
    But this time around it's more correct
    Right on target, so direct"

and

"Crickets talkin' back and forth in rhyme"

An album full of rich images!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Buckets Of Rain
    This is a easy one for me as i have 8 tracks to choose from to eliminate. Dylan, for me, is way overrated and doesn't do much for me. Good song writer but i don't like his voice or guitar playing. 
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Jim! Buckets of Rain? You need to bump the rating thread and recalibrate, because your system is out of whack.  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    cutz said:
    This is a easy one for me as i have 8 tracks to choose from to eliminate. Dylan, for me, is way overrated and doesn't do much for me. Good song writer but i don't like his voice or guitar playing. 
    Ouch!  I get that we all hear things differently and I respect that.  For example, I have a lot of respect for the rap group A tribe Called Quest and even have one of their albums but as interesting and influential as there stuff is, I can't honestly say I like it.  Same with almost all opera.  But I don't understand the idea of saying Bob Dylan is "overrated".  Sorry, not meaning to be slighting or offensive here, but I just don't understand that notion. 

• Options
    edited May 2019
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    Ouch!  I get that we all hear things differently and I respect that.  For example, I have a lot of respect for the rap group A tribe Called Quest and even have one of their albums but as interesting and influential as there stuff is, I can't honestly say I like it.  Same with almost all opera.  But I don't understand the idea of saying Bob Dylan is "overrated".  Sorry, not meaning to be slighting or offensive here, but I just don't understand that notion.  
    Tom Waits is a great songwriter too, (and I own one of his albums),but his voice is an acquired taste and I can't imagine listening to him on a regular basis. Same thing with Joni Mitchell, great songs--don't care for her voice all that much. So I understand why cutz feels that way about Bob, but I don't agree. I can deal with Bob's voice. 
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    Buckets Of Rain
    Jim! Buckets of Rain? You need to bump the rating thread and recalibrate, because your system is out of whack.  :open_mouth:
    I had 8 songs to choose from so it really didn't matter to me what song i took. I only like 2 songs on this Album.
  • Options
    Buckets Of Rain
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    That's okay as i don't take it as a slight or you being offensive to me at all, Brian.

Like i said though, Dylan, FOR ME, is overrated.

It's music which we all know, is very subjective. To each his own.

• Options
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    That's okay as i don't take it as a slight or you being offensive to me at all, Brian.

Like i said though, Dylan, FOR ME, is overrated.

It's music which we all know, is very subjective. To each his own.

That's a good way to put it.  :smile:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    Tom Waits is a great songwriter too, (and I own one of his albums),but his voice is an acquired taste and I can't imagine listening to him on a regular basis. Same thing with Joni Mitchell, great songs--don't care for her voice all that much. So I understand why cutz feels that way about Bob, but I don't agree. I can deal with Bob's voice. 
    Waits is an acquired taste for sure (for me anyway).  Great songwriter, cool dude and I love him in Jim Jarmusch's  film, "Down By Law".

Dylan for me was an instant love at first listen- literally.   On August 5, 1965, at around 10 PM on the evening of my 14th birthday, I went to bed with the new transistor radio my folks had just given me with it's single ear piece firmly inserted in one ear or the other.  I was listening to the latest pop songs on a station (probably KYA) and suddenly this song comes on that opens with a snare rim shot, and this cool organ sound starts in and then someone with this crazy weird but (to me} great voice I'd never heard before starts singing, "Once upon a time. you dressed so fine..." and damn if that song didn't go one for a good six minutes or so.  I was totally mesmerized. In those moments, Bob Dylan completely blew open the gates to anew world of music for me.

But then sometimes an odd voice takes some acquiring.  When I first started listening to Dinosaur Jr I thought, wow, great crazy guitar stuff here but, damn, why couldn't these guys find someone who can sing?  It took a while, but eventually I got to be OK with J's singing and now he's one of my favorites, both on guitar and voice (and a huge fan of Lou and Murph as well).  I'm a total Dino addict.

But yeah, I get how it is that some folks can't get into Bob's singing.

• Options
    ^^^ Oh how I wish I had a story like that one, brianlux! So many music lovers have those stories of the first time they listened to a certain singer/band, and they remember so vividly! In the retelling, they are right back there in those first few moments. It's a personal and individual experience.
     I don't remember the first time I heard Bob's very distinct voice, but he is special to me, and this album in particular is special to me. My mother knows every word of every song on this album, and every time she plays it, she sings along. And that is when everything is right with the world, when my mom is happily singing sad ass songs like "Simple Twist of Fate". :)  
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    I’ll need to give this one a proper listen before I vote. There are 2 songs I know I like (1 of them I love), but I’m not much of a Dylan fan so I rarely listen to him.
    No doubting his ability as a songwriter, but I tend to prefer covers to his voice!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Idiot Wind
    Yes! Nice choice!

I have this Dylan album and Desire.

I'll have to give the whole thing a listen before I nix one of his poetic masterpieces. 

I think that Dylan is one of those artists that sounds better on album than live.You never know what you're gonna get live. And there are some songs that are covered often & better but some songs I can't imagine anyone singing but him (ie. Hurricane).
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    Yes! Nice choice!

I have this Dylan album and Desire.

I'll have to give the whole thing a listen before I nix one of his poetic masterpieces. 

I think that Dylan is one of those artists that sounds better on album than live.You never know what you're gonna get live. And there are some songs that are covered often & better but some songs I can't imagine anyone singing but him (ie. Hurricane).
    I've heard a number of people say that in recent years.  I guess his voice hasn't aged well.  When I saw him during the Dylan/Petty and the Heartbreakers tour he sounded great!  And Dylan and Petty sharing a mic- heaven!

^^^ Oh how I wish I had a story like that one, brianlux! So many music lovers have those stories of the first time they listened to a certain singer/band, and they remember so vividly! In the retelling, they are right back there in those first few moments. It's a personal and individual experience.
     I don't remember the first time I heard Bob's very distinct voice, but he is special to me, and this album in particular is special to me. My mother knows every word of every song on this album, and every time she plays it, she sings along. And that is when everything is right with the world, when my mom is happily singing sad ass songs like "Simple Twist of Fate". :)  
    Kudos to your mom!  :smile: 

• Options
    I'm a bit surprised to see "Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts" going down.  When Blood on the Tracks came out, Dylan fans used to throw costume parties where everyone dressed like a character from that song.  I never attended such a party but I always thought that was a cool idea! 

• Options
    Another good Dylan weakest link maybe for later down the line would be Highway 61 Revisited.  Someone over on the Hoffman site started a weakest link poll for that one and, man. talk about tough choices to make!  Would be cool to see how it fares here.

• Options
    cutz said:
    I had 8 songs to choose from so it really didn't matter to me what song i took. I only like 2 songs on this Album.
    2 more people voted for the song, I guess I'm the one who needs to re-calibrate. :)
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Has it really been almost 3 days since I paid attention here?  Ugh, Dylan.  Great songwriter, horrible artist. I'm swamped at work today but if I have time before the poll closes this evening, I'll give a listen and throw a vote in.  If not, I may have to wait til round 2.  The only title I even recognize is Tangled Up in Blue anyway.  I know Simple Twist of Fate is a Dylan song, but even if I heard it and knew the song, I wouldn't know it by the title.
  • Options
    Buckets Of Rain
    cutz said:
    2 more people voted for the song, I guess I'm the one who needs to re-calibrate. :)
    Maybe not, Rin because I don't have a system cuz i don't like %80 of this album. I don't know what the other 2 peoples excuse are for picking that song>LOL!!>Maybe because it stinks>LOL
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    Maybe not, Rin because I don't have a system cuz i don't like %80 of this album. I don't know what the other 2 peoples excuse are for picking that song>LOL!!>Maybe because it stinks>LOL
    Hahaha!!! I'm sure dudeman will pop in any second to let me know that the song does indeed stink! Thanks Jim. :lol:
  • Options
    Idiot Wind
    This one simply goes on too long without anything different happening. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited May 2019
    Meet Me In The Morning
    I love this whole album, but this is the worst song for me, easily. EDIT: Fuck, I accidentally selected the wrong one. I meant to choose Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts. Oh well, enough people have chosen that one too.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Idiot Wind
    I just read the original OP post again. When did we start removing 3 songs at a time? Isn't it the 2 with the most votes and a third if there is a tie? Or did we change to 3 songs somewhere along the way? I like 2 songs at a time better, FWIW @MedozK

I'm very inquisitive.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    njnancy said:
    This one simply goes on too long without anything different happening. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    You're A Big Girl Now
    Damn. This is going to be another heartbreaker. Definitely one of my all-time favorite albums. I tend to listen to the New York Sessions version of the album, but can't fault any version, or any song, on this masterpiece.
  • Options
    Buckets Of Rain
    Round 1 has ended with Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts (7), You're A Big Girl Now (5) and Buckets of Rain (4) eliminated.
This discussion has been closed.