Philadelphia 2005

Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 924
Hey folks, next show we’re gonna talk about this week on Live On 4 Legs will be the Philadelphia 2005 show from the Wachovia/Wells Fargo/not the Spectrum Center. To me, the highlight of this show was hands down Crazy Mary after an amp busted down, Eddie joked that the ghost of Mary was haunting them and then they went into about a 15 minute jam. It’s my favorite Boom/Mike collaboration of this song. Other highlights include a few Sleater-Kinney appearances, which if you’ve listened to the show we’ve been pretty critical of in the past.

if you attended this show and have any good stories or memories from your experience, we’d love to hear from you. Let us know what you thought of the night below or shoot us an email at liveon4legspodcast@gmail.com. Thanks again for all of your participation and support, this show ain’t shit without you guys!
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    This was a really good classic show. Great set list/crowd interaction. I think Ed played drums on a Danzig cover with Sleater-Kinney, they were great. I also remember crowd really being into last kiss which Ed sang to the fans sitting behind the stage. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    I remember they sent out some sort of communication that they would be taking the stage earlier than the rest of the tour.  My friends though it was B'S and they missed the first 7 songs.

Hard To Imagine into Crown of Thorns was mind blowing and mind boggling.  Both were ultra rare.

If it wasn't for the feedback during Crazy Mary, I think this show would be in discussion for their greatest ever.  It was still excellent. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    This show was one of the greatest shows they had ever done to that point.  The fan club heavy crowd, the rarities in the setlist, awesome version of Alive, etc.... made for a magic evening.   It gets over shadowed I think as the band plays longer shows consistently now and plays the rarities more often so when you look at the setlist it doesn’t look as badass on paper that it was at the time.  
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited May 2019
    The setlist was nasty. Always good to get the "Man Trilogy" in a row.

set: Wash, Hail Hail, Brain Of J, Spin The Black Circle, Given To Fly, Sad, Alone, Even Flow, Green Disease, Faithfull, Whipping, Not For You/(Modern Girl), Leatherman, Better Man/(?)/(Save It For Later), Nothingman, Once, Bleed For Me, Blood
    first encore: Around The Bend, Harvest Moon (w/Sleater-Kinney), Hard To Imagine, Crown of Thorns, Crazy Mary, Alive
    second encore: Last Kiss, In My Tree, Do The Evolution, Sonic Reducer, Little Sister, Leaving Here (w/Sleater-Kinney), Rockin In The Free World (w/Sleater-Kinney), Yellow Ledbetter

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    edited May 2019
    Correction, it still looks like a badass setlist on paper.

Excellent version of Bleed for Me as well.
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    Oh, PJ20 not withstanding, this was the biggest clusterfuck of the F5 ticket system.  One of the toughest tickets that I've ever scored.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    thought the main set was great but the encores were a bit too slow.  thought the around the bend, harvest moon, hard to imagine, crown of thorns than the fucked up crazy mary kind of killed the vibe in the room. then 2nd encore with last kiss and in my tree to start. little too much laid back in the middle there.  to me this was a good show but overall i think it's highly overrated. not one of my favs from philly area.
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 924
    pjhawks said:
    thought the main set was great but the encores were a bit too slow.  thought the around the bend, harvest moon, hard to imagine, crown of thorns than the fucked up crazy mary kind of killed the vibe in the room. then 2nd encore with last kiss and in my tree to start. little too much laid back in the middle there.  to me this was a good show but overall i think it's highly overrated. not one of my favs from philly area.
    That's gonna be a huge point of contention for me on the show this week. less about the first encore being laid back, I was fine with that. it was more of how the 2nd encore flowed after In My Tree, they should've ripped through to end it but they stopped before every song and it ruined the power that the set should've had. Sonic Reducer was a mess, Evolution was a mess and Sleater-Kinney backup vocals on Leaving Here are absolutely god awful. That first set is one of the best I've ever heard of any show, but the finish here ruins my enjoyment of it.
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:
    That's gonna be a huge point of contention for me on the show this week. less about the first encore being laid back, I was fine with that. it was more of how the 2nd encore flowed after In My Tree, they should've ripped through to end it but they stopped before every song and it ruined the power that the set should've had. Sonic Reducer was a mess, Evolution was a mess and Sleater-Kinney backup vocals on Leaving Here are absolutely god awful. That first set is one of the best I've ever heard of any show, but the finish here ruins my enjoyment of it.
    interesting i don't remember the stopping before each song in the 2nd encore but i haven't listened to this show in ages. ill have to re-visit it. as i said not one of my favorite shows at all.  i also thought little sister was kind of mis-placed in the 2nd encore.  out of 28 it's probably down the line in the 20s for me as far as favorites.  definitely closer to the bottom of the philly area shows for me.
    edited May 2019

Interesting takes.  I have been to 10 Philly/Camden shows and would rank this at #3 behind Philly 3 and 4 of 2009.  I would put  it ahead of the other 2009 shows and then the 2003 and 2006 Philly and Camden shows. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Yeah, I dont agree with the "not flowing"/"slow" takes at all. It falls behind just Spectrum '03 for me in Philly proper shows, not counting any of the Camden 98/00 shows.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    I love that you're doing this podcast, I recently did the annual membership for Nugs and this is helping me find rad shows. thanks! 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Good show but not stellar.  Main set was great, encores were meh.  Little Sister completely killed any energy there was in the building.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PSUS2H said:
    I love that you're doing this podcast, I recently did the annual membership for Nugs and this is helping me find rad shows. thanks! 
    Let us know if you find anything good! Always looking for ideas.

Leaving this here for all of you who listen and would like to be part of our show.

edited May 2019
    Take a look at DC 2008, some solid Lost Dogs in there, The Man Trilogy makes an appearance and they evacuate evacuation. 
    Post edited by PSUS2H on
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PSUS2H said:
    Take a look at DC 2008, some solid Lost Dogs in there, The Man Trilogy makes an appearance and they evacuate evacuation. 
    It was definitely a great show and crowd!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    PSUS2H said:
    Take a look at DC 2008, some solid Lost Dogs in there, The Man Trilogy makes an appearance and they evacuate evacuation. 
    It was definitely a great show and crowd!!
    You are 
    U
    Who you are 
    solid.....
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/setlist/?show_id=802 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Just curious: why do people say man trilogy? There’s also dead man! Would be cool if they played all four. 
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    JPPJ84 said:
    Just curious: why do people say man trilogy? There’s also dead man! Would be cool if they played all four. 
    They played all four + "Man Of The Hour" in a row in Prague 2006. 
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
    edited May 2019
    mrk2 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    oh yeah there’s a fifth!! I need that bootleg then... very cool setlist 👍🏻
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrk2 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    I'd call that the super man quintet!

JPPJ84 said:
    mrk2 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    I'd call that the super man quintet!
    Definitely 😎
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,013
    This would probably be my 2nd or 3rd favorite show if it wasn't for S/K on Leaving Here and RitFW. They worked well with Harvest Moon, but they really ruined the other songs. Opening with Wash set the tone for the night, so many rarities. The different take of In My Tree is very memorable. This show falls victim to a common issue with PJ shows sometimes, too many covers. But I did like that Ten got a break. I know I'm exaggerating here but its annoying when half a PJ show is covers and Ten.

I've only seen Alone once and part of me would like to hear it again, but I also like the idea of how special that makes this show, same with Around the Bend. A bit surprised Leash or Satan's Bed weren't brought back at this show. This night really had the vibe that we could hear those songs again for the 1st time in a decade. Satan's Bed in State College (if you count it) was something special but would have been cool for it to be played proper here the next time they came back around. This was one of the few shows I've been to that it really felt like anything could be on the setlist and it wouldn't be that surprising if it got played.

A bit of a side note, I'm working on putting together a compilation for myself from all the shows I've seen and my favorite versions of Alive and GTF are from this show. I've seen both those songs around 20 times and my favorite version of them come from the same show, and it's this one. Off my list, 10 songs that I have heard more than once, come from this night. Oddly my favorite versions of Wash and In My Tree are not from here.
    Episode is out! For those of you who happen to be on Long Island tonight, head down to The Warehouse in Amityville as awesone tribute band Last Exit is gonna play a 3 hour set. I’ll be there, so stop over and say hi!