~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    wasa1971 said:
    ^ Belly rub please and I love the crossed paws, how regal!
    I can confirm.  Numerous belly rubs followed said picture  =). The crossed paws are his default setting.  I agree, it does make him look veeeerrry regal.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    well after 11 years  , 2 knee surgeries, I had to put my best bubba down on Friday.  Eddie, the meatball in my pic, was loved by all and will be missed by the entire family.   As this is the first time having to put a family pet down, i got to say this is the worst feeling ive had in a long time.  I cant believe how in the simplest activity, i am still looking for him.   give your meatballs a hugs today
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited May 2019
    Nami said:
    well after 11 years  , 2 knee surgeries, I had to put my best bubba down on Friday.  Eddie, the meatball in my pic, was loved by all and will be missed by the entire family.   As this is the first time having to put a family pet down, i got to say this is the worst feeling ive had in a long time.  I cant believe how in the simplest activity, i am still looking for him.   give your meatballs a hugs today
    Sorry about your loss.  RIP to your best bud...he will be missed by all that knew him.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    RIP Eddie the meatball.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    I’m sorry to hear of his passing. I remember how difficult the first few weeks were. I can tell you that eventually the hurt is surpassed and you can smile with the memories.
    thanks gang.  After discussing with the Vet it was just a matter of time... as she ended up saying it could be anytime.  Basically we were in the pain management stage and it seem like over the last week and a half he had gotten worse.  Struggling to get up/down, placing a heating pad on his hip, started biting his arm, meds morning/night, and then throwing up towards the end.  We had to make the decision, a right one, but a hard one for both my wife and I.  My poor cat has been walking around looking for him ever since.  I am thankful for the memories, protection, and of course love that he gave our family.   Dogs are truly remarkable animals, never judging, always loving and willing to please.  
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm so sorry, Nami.  I don't think it's ever an easy decision.

I hope your kitty brings you and your wife some comfort, and vice versa.  The confusion of pets left behind is understandable but heartbreaking.
    My condolences Nami.  RIP Eddie the meatball.  My 💔is broken for you as well.  We’ve lost a fair few furry companions over the past couple of weeks.  Grieve honestly and at your own pace🤗
    Thanks Hedonist and Fifthelement!   Sorry to hear Fifthelement, dang a few? Shit that's brutal.My condolences to your family as well. 
    Nami said:
    Thanks Hedonist and Fifthelement!   Sorry to hear Fifthelement, dang a few? Shit that's brutal.My condolences to your family as well. 
    Thanks nami, but it wasn’t me.  Both njnancy and smellyman lost their doggies within a day of each other.  I was just meaning our collective dog family in this thread. 🤗🐶😇
    Nami said:
    Thanks nami, but it wasn’t me.  Both njnancy and smellyman lost their doggies within a day of each other.  I was just meaning our collective dog family in this thread. 🤗🐶😇
    d'oh, im on a roll.... goes to show how much im around ...sorry smellyman and njnancy for your loss.. 

#TongueOutTuesday
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Nami said:
    Nami said:
    d'oh, im on a roll.... goes to show how much im around ...sorry smellyman and njnancy for your loss.. 
    Sorry for your loss Nami. It's hard to have to decide between their quality of life and your desire to have them in your life, but you did the right thing for your precious pooch. It will hurt and their absence is so much larger than their presence in a way.   RIP Eddie. :heartbreak:
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

#TongueOutTuesday
    "Religion is the smile on a dog."
    hedonist said:

#TongueOutTuesday
    "Religion is the smile on a dog."
    I love how true that is!
    The no dogs on the furniture rule isn’t working out very well.

:) wasa1971 said:

Awesome =)

this is is a glamour shot of Maxine from today.  

Thanks NJNancy!

Awesome pics! 

Man, a dog's eyes can truly look into your soul and make you cave every time.    

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Piper, doing her agility today.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited June 2019

CAESAR^^^ 

CJ^^^ 
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Picture of CJ is great!

here’s another of Piper:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    wasa1971 said:

adorable

It's a bad rule anyway.  Couldn't imagine not having the dogs on the couch or the bed.  :)  Plus it's like those chairs were meant for them.
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    edited June 2019
    Anyone here ever dealt with Healthy Paws insurance? My dogs are 5 and 6 and due to pits known to have orthopedic problems, I think it is time to hop on the insurance train. I'm close to signing-up with Healthy Paws.  Seems like it's the most straightforward out of all. Just don't know if anyone here have tried it or I guess any pet insurance in general. TIA
    I’m not familiar with Heathly Paws, but both of our Labs are insured with Trupanion. Our firs Lab had over $12,000 in leg surgery’s, sadly no insurance. It has more than paid or itself with the youngest of the two, he eats anything. Any claims we have had are billed directly, very hassle free. I think insurance is a good idea if you can afford it, choose the plan that works for you. Any time you go back with a pre existing condition it’s on file and they cover 90%.  One thing that I was surprised about was when we moved our payment increased for the same coverage at our new address. We moved from the city to an acreage. Maybe it’s a Trupanion thing, but I would ask about premium increases. The last few years our payments have increased  annually for both our dogs, one has never had a claim. They are the same breed, one year apart.
    I have trupanion for Maxine.  Her knee surgery wasn’t covered though as it was on file as a pre-existing condition from when we had a health check done before we “officially” adopted her.  Still it’s paid off over the last couple of years.

The rates they quoted me for Zeus, due to his age and breed when we got him, were ridiculous though.  Opted not to get any for him.

If your dogs already have vet records chronicling orthopaedic issues they probably won’t be covered.  Additionally, with their ages the rates will probably be quite high.

Good luck with your decision.  

I have trupanion for Maxine.  Her knee surgery wasn’t covered though as it was on file as a pre-existing condition from when we had a health check done before we “officially” adopted her.  Still it’s paid off over the last couple of years.

The rates they quoted me for Zeus, due to his age and breed when we got him, were ridiculous though.  Opted not to get any for him.

If your dogs already have vet records chronicling orthopaedic issues they probably won’t be covered.  Additionally, with their ages the rates will probably be quite high.

Thank you!  Yea my male dog had a bad knee a couple years ago. No surgeries, or anything though. They just said it was inflamed and it eventually got better.  Haven't complained about it for a couple years now. They would probably still classify that as pre-existing. So that will probably not be covered. I'm more worried about cancer and things like that. Have a friend who spent more than $25,000 in a matter of a few months trying to save her 4yo dog from cancer.  Shitty part is, the dog still passed.  I just don't want to be in the same predicament, because I think my out of pocket limit is much lower than hers.  I understand that dogs are family, but still gotta make smart financial decisions... because if I don't, the humans in my family will suffer.  That's why I'm getting insurance I guess. 
    wasa1971 said:
    I’m not familiar with Heathly Paws, but both of our Labs are insured with Trupanion. Our firs Lab had over $12,000 in leg surgery’s, sadly no insurance. It has more than paid or itself with the youngest of the two, he eats anything. Any claims we have had are billed directly, very hassle free. I think insurance is a good idea if you can afford it, choose the plan that works for you. Any time you go back with a pre existing condition it’s on file and they cover 90%.  One thing that I was surprised about was when we moved our payment increased for the same coverage at our new address. We moved from the city to an acreage. Maybe it’s a Trupanion thing, but I would ask about premium increases. The last few years our payments have increased  annually for both our dogs, one has never had a claim. They are the same breed, one year apart.
    Thanks. I looked at trupanion and they are much more expensive and have terrible reviews here in the US.  I might end up with Healthy Paws due to the price. $100 a month for two dogs (5 and 6), $250 deductible each dog, 80% the younger and 70% reimbursement for the older dog, with no annual limit.  Hopefully it's not a you get what you pay for situation.  

Thank you!  Yea my male dog had a bad knee a couple years ago. No surgeries, or anything though. They just said it was inflamed and it eventually got better.  Haven't complained about it for a couple years now. They would probably still classify that as pre-existing. So that will probably not be covered. I'm more worried about cancer and things like that. Have a friend who spent more than $25,000 in a matter of a few months trying to save her 4yo dog from cancer.  Shitty part is, the dog still passed.  I just don't want to be in the same predicament, because I think my out of pocket limit is much lower than hers.  I understand that dogs are family, but still gotta make smart financial decisions... because if I don't, the humans in my family will suffer.  That's why I'm getting insurance I guess. 
    Ouch!  I love my animals sooooo much, but I could not, would not, pay that amount.  To each their own though.  If one can afford it, and it makes you happy, who am I to rain on your parade.  I mean really, I’ll probably be paying out at least half that in insurance if Max makes it to fifteen, but I couldn’t conceive of paying that amount out of pocket all at once.

The insurance has definitely been a good investment though for all of the other visits that I’ve had to make, including two Sunday, on a long weekend, emergency vet visits.  
    Enthralled with the Wizard of Oz this afternoon.