~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    RIP Charlie.  You were a good and a handsome boy.  I’m glad that you were able to spend your last days surrounded by love.  Condolences to you and your family smellyman.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Sorry for your loss, smellymam :bawling:

that last picture is great!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    What a beautiful dog! So sorry for your loss.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Very sorry to hear that Smellyman.  Charlie looks like a wise and happy dog.  Nobody could have loved him as much as you did.  :cry: 
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Hey guys - my dog died about an hour ago. She couldn't breathe and I was holding her for hours on my bed and she just stopped breathing. I tried o give her CPR, but she was dead.

She was fine and 2 days ago started limping and acting weird and she slept on my bed the last 2 days but tonight she just was panting and not responding and I was hoping she'd be okay till the vet opened tomorrow. But no.

I posted video of her on her awhile ago. She was 12, her name was Chelsea and she was the sweetest dog. She's wrapped in a blanket on her doggy bed right now. I guess I take her to the vet tomorrow. When I was carrying her into the living room a large amount of blood came out of her mouth, so something was going on. My poor little girl. 

i am really sad and I wish I could have fixed her. It happened so quick. 

Hope you don't mind me stopping by. 

Smellyman, I'm sorry for your loss. The house just isn't the same without your dog.  

aw, nancy, that is terrible! at least you were there for her. losing a dog is the worst. :bawling:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    njnancy said:
    Hey guys - my dog died about an hour ago. She couldn't breathe and I was holding her for hours on my bed and she just stopped breathing. I tried o give her CPR, but she was dead.

She was fine and 2 days ago started limping and acting weird and she slept on my bed the last 2 days but tonight she just was panting and not responding and I was hoping she'd be okay till the vet opened tomorrow. But no.

I posted video of her on her awhile ago. She was 12, her name was Chelsea and she was the sweetest dog. She's wrapped in a blanket on her doggy bed right now. I guess I take her to the vet tomorrow. When I was carrying her into the living room a large amount of blood came out of her mouth, so something was going on. My poor little girl. 

Smellyman, I'm sorry for your loss. The house just isn't the same without your dog.  
    njnancy said:

Aww, Nancy, that’s awful.  Sending you massive hugs.  It’s devastating when it happens so fast.  There’s no time to process, just holding them and telling them how much you love them.  RIP Chelsea, you were a good and beautiful girl.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited May 2019
    njnancy said:

Looks like a hound mix like Charlie.  Very sad for you and her to have to go through that.  She looks so sweet and lovely.

Charlie was 12+ years old too and may have had something similar.  I won't go into details as it still fresh for both of us, but you gave her a wonderful life.

virtual hug your way

Post edited by Smellyman on
    Nancy, so very sorry!  Chelsea looks like a very sweet girl.  It's never easy to lose a dog but it's so much harder when something happens quickly like that and we're powerless to understand what is wrong.  RIP Chelsea.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Nancy and Smelly, I'm so sorry.  From all you've posted and spoken about your dogs, I know - even as an outsider - that they were immensely loved.

Big hugs to you both.
    Thank you for you words of comfort @Who Princess @Wobbie @hedonist @Fifthelement . I know you are dog lovers and understand it is a loss of a family member. And right now I am feeling her absence. 

I hit a wall yesterday afternoon. I had been up with Chelsea on and off for a couple nights, her unexpected death, dealing with all of that, going to the vet, etc. had me in 'go' mode and suddenly my brain and body just stopped. I'm feeling nothing right now. I want to forget some of the past days but right now I'm just feeling empty and the house seems empty. I've lost family dogs before and I lost my first dog, Guinness, at 14 years, but she was put to sleep at the vets. This was different. I loved them both in different ways and I don't think I could have dealt with my first dog dying in this way.  Though I can still tear up when I think of her, I had time to prepare for her end. 

They were both very special,loyal, sweet girls. 

@Smellyman - Again, I'm sorry that we are sharing the loss of our beloved dogs at the same time. It was kind of you to take time for me while going through your own grief, thank you. I hope the days ahead get easier for both of us and are replaced with memories of the happy times with them. Sudden death is confusing & scary, lots of feelings. You are right, I need to process this. My heart goes out to you. :heartbreak::dog:

Thanks again to all you kind people in the Doggie Thread. :heart:
    njnancy said:
    Thank you for you words of comfort @Who Princess @Wobbie @hedonist @Fifthelement . I know you are dog lovers and understand it is a loss of a family member. And right now I am feeling her absence. 

I hit a wall yesterday afternoon. I had been up with Chelsea on and off for a couple nights, her unexpected death, dealing with all of that, going to the vet, etc. had me in 'go' mode and suddenly my brain and body just stopped. I'm feeling nothing right now. I want to forget some of the past days but right now I'm just feeling empty and the house seems empty. I've lost family dogs before and I lost my first dog, Guinness, at 14 years, but she was put to sleep at the vets. This was different. I loved them both in different ways and I don't think I could have dealt with my first dog dying in this way.  Though I can still tear up when I think of her, I had time to prepare for her end. 

They were both very special,loyal, sweet girls. 

@Smellyman - Again, I'm sorry that we are sharing the loss of our beloved dogs at the same time. It was kind of you to take time for me while going through your own grief, thank you. I hope the days ahead get easier for both of us and are replaced with memories of the happy times with them. Sudden death is confusing & scary, lots of feelings. You are right, I need to process this. My heart goes out to you. :heartbreak::dog:

Thanks again to all you kind people in the Doggie Thread. :heart:
    ((((Hugs))))💔
    edited May 2019
    Nancy, I got my first dog when I was 5 and have had always had at least one dog ever since (I'll be turning 65 in a few months).  I've been through loss several times and it's ALWAYS awful, whether it's the slow decline of aging or a sudden illness.  But I have to admit that when you say goodbye at the end of a long life, at least you do have a little time to prepare for the prospect and there's some comfort that you provided them with love and good care that helped them reach that age.  But I've lost a couple to sudden illnesses that baffled me (and my vet) and that was so painful.  I made myself crazy wondering what I'd missed or what I could have done, or thinking things like "A month ago she was fine!"  It took my vet reminding me that our dogs can't talk to us and tell us what's wrong for me to realize that it wasn't my mistake or oversight.  If we could save our dogs on love alone, I know we all would.
    Give yourself some time to grieve, painful as it is.  Surround yourself with understanding people.  This is a good place to do that.
    Smellyman, all this goes out to you, too.  I know it hurts right now.  Hugs to both of you.
    I think we are overdue for some good dog pictures.  Now that I'm a full time sheltie mom, I spend a lot of time outside gardening.  Scout and Stella like to "help."

edited May 2019
    Scout especially enjoys photobombing.

This is what happens when you're taking a picture and your dogs start wrasslin' close by.

For you Game of Thrones fans, the AKC has shirts and stuff with this design.

Game Of Bones

Great pix WP.  Max and Zeus were helping me with my deck garden too  ;)

Love all the new pics, and nice garden work, Fifth!

I'm sure I've posted this link before, but WeRateDogs is hilarious.  Please check out the jenga-playing pooch if you're so inclined.

https://twitter.com/dog_rates?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Thanks hedo.  Dog Twitter is a sanity and life saver.  Some of my favs are: thoughts of a dog @dog_feelings, we rate dogs, Maggie @Maggaroo, Theo-osophy @notquiteold, and Bunsen the Science dog @bunsenbernerbmd
    A dear friend turned me on to the first two :)  I'll check out the others.

Maymo is another long-time favorite.
    Wow, Fifth, your deck garden is awesome!  You've really made good use of the space.  So glad that Max and Zeus are your helpers. :lol:
    Hedonist, I'd never seen WeRateDogs.  It's hilarious!  I don't know how long I spent looking at it yesterday.
    thanks for the pics, WP!

the definition of “adding insult to injury”?

A: when you’re paying $522 for a “routine” vet visit and one of your dogs (Piper, big shock) swipes the “complementary” chocolate chip cookie out of your hand. bad dog! :dog:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Beautiful pictures of your dogs and gardens. I neglected the yard last Spring/Summer so I need to rescue it from the dang hackberry trees (weeds but annoying trees) and reseed the lawn, etc. 

I have a dog community question. We rescued Chelsea, my late dog, and Sandy, my mom's dog, together. They had been on the beaches of Puerto Rico and people shoot at the strays so this one rescue group goes down with a plane and brings back a load of dogs. So Sandy and Chelsea had been 'on the streets' together before we got them. Chelsea was a couple months, about 1/2 her adult size and Sandy was about a year old and though smaller, was definitely the protector and the dominant dog. 

I live in a two family = my son and I live on the second floor and my mom lives on the first floor, although she spends most of her time up here nowadays. Chelsea and Sandy spent everyday together for 12 years, they shared food, a bed, everything. When I put Chelsea on the dog bed after she had died but she was still warm and soft, Sandy came over and smelled her and curled up on the bed next to her. Later, she moved off the bed when Chelsea got more dead. 

We took the dog bed and all the pillows and blankets with Chelsea on it when we went to the vet, so that is gone and there is a pillow that Sandy slept on and I gave her 'doggie' which is a stuffed animal that Chelsea used as a pillow. Sandy lays on it. 

She goes downstairs with my mom late when she goes to bed and in the morning Sandy stares at the door because Chelsea would go downstairs and lay down with her and then my mom would let them out in the backyard.  

I'm not ready now at all, but Sandy is healthy and can jump up on beds and her legs are fine as she is not a large dog.  I don't want her to die out of sadness and I can't understand dog. Would you guys get a new dog that she approved of in order to give her more quality of life, as she's used to sharing her life with another dog or would you think that would be worse for her. 

She was always running around and Chelsea was more of the laid back, take a nap dog and I don't want Sandy to lose her spark. I'm sure you guys have been in similar situations and I just want to do what's best for Sandy. Thanks!

@Who Princess I am like you, I have never NOT had a dog in my life. We had one in my earliest memories and when each dog passed away we would rescue another as a family. Then I moved into the second floor later when renters had gone and I eventually got my own dog so we had two and it's been that way for the past 20+ years with 2 sets of dogs. I love them and they also offer some protection, though it's just a positive side issue, as it is an elderly woman, myself - in my 50's and my 21 year old son who was gone for 5 years. The house is old and having dogs is a deterrent to robbers who could easily break in to our home. But we have them primarily because we love them. I have fond memories of every dog, except the one my parents had when we were young kids. He used to bark at us all the time and he kind of scared my young self. He ate a pot roast off of the kitchen table the night he died. He never begged or went for food so it was out of character, but I guess he was having his last meal.  He's the only dog that I really don't have an emotional connection with although he was around for all of my childhood. Anyway, I appreciate your comments. :smile:

Oh, I need to check out those websites when I have some time to fall down a rabbit hole. Thanks for the links!
    Hey Nancy, I hope you’re doing okay.  Getting a new pet after you lose one is a completely personal choice.  Personally it took me three years before I was really, really ready to get another dog.  There were a few external factors that came into play, but when I saw Maxine for the first time, I knew I was ready.

On the other hand, getting a younger dog may help to extend the life of the older one.  Hard to say.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  Neither choice is wrong.

S xx
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited May 2019
    I always believe in getting another dog or two or three. (adopted of course)  Saving a life while enriching yours can't be beat.

good for the soul
    Agreed with Fifth & Smelly - maybe there's a local rescue where Sandy can go with you and see if the two of you connect with a hopeful pooch?  She might find the right one for you both.

Livin’ our best lives =)
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    ^ Belly rub please and I love the crossed paws, how regal!