Options

Need help with my next record player

willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
I’m shopping around for a new player. Really interested in the house of Marley Stir It Up Turntable
love the Bamboo look
but I’m reading some mixed reviews on it
can anyone comment on this one?

also looking for some advice and recommendations. I’d like something middle of the road as far as price.

please post what you like and photos of possible. 

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    It looks nice, but you can get an Orbit U turn (which is upgradable) for cheaper. 
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Audio Technica lp120
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    Get a uTurn, and a nice cartridge which you can customize. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 703
    Agreed on U Turn.  Nice player with upgrades about 400 bucks. 

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    Not sure what your budget is, but if you can swing it the Fluance RT85 is probably the best value out there right now (I have one myself). Two things though: it doesn’t have an integrated preamp so you’ll either need a separate one or an amp with a built in phono stage, and Fluance hasn’t been able to keep these tables in stock since they launched in the fall, so if you want one you have to check their site frequently and be ready to jump. https://www.fluance.com/rt85w-reference-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-natural-walnut
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    U-Turn Orbit is nice because you can customize the entire table to your needs/wants
    Audio-Technica LP120
    Pro-Ject Debut
    Rega Planar 1
    These are all pretty good low budget manual turntables.  The Fluance tables mentioned above look pretty good too, especially for the price.
    If you want to go fully automatic, it's tough to beat the Denon DP-300F at it's price point.
    The Marley table looks ok, but for the price point you'd be better off spending an extra $35 and getting a U-Turn with a Grado Black cartridge. If your budget is around $200, I'd recommend that. If you can go a little further, any of the other tables mentioned would be great.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,937
    Ive got an Audio Technica LP120 and love it. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    brianjonesbrianjones Posts: 235
    Another vote for Fluance. I bought the RT-81 upgraded the cartridge & added rubber mat. 
    High qualoty at a very decent price. 
  • Options
    ManUnitedManUnited Jersey Shore Posts: 160
    Another vote for Fluance. I bought the RT-81 upgraded the cartridge & added rubber mat. 
    High qualoty at a very decent price. 
    Ditto but haven't upgraded yet. Fast shipping and extremely well packaged
    "Whoever, when he dies, leaves on paper a beautiful line of poetry has left the heavens richer and the earth too.”
    F. PESSOA
  • Options
    NM70698NM70698 Posts: 74
    PSUS2H said:

I have this and it serves me quite well.  I have the blue cartridge, but I'm sure the red sounds great too.  This is a good option if you just aren't willing to let go of the automatic function (i.e., automatic return of tone arm when one side of the record finishes). 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited May 2019
    U-Turn Orbit is nice because you can customize the entire table to your needs/wants
    Audio-Technica LP120
    Pro-Ject Debut
    Rega Planar 1
    These are all pretty good low budget manual turntables.  The Fluance tables mentioned above look pretty good too, especially for the price.
    If you want to go fully automatic, it's tough to beat the Denon DP-300F at it's price point.
    The Marley table looks ok, but for the price point you'd be better off spending an extra $35 and getting a U-Turn with a Grado Black cartridge. If your budget is around $200, I'd recommend that. If you can go a little further, any of the other tables mentioned would be great.
    Agree with All of the above.  Rega, Pro-Ject, etc are all upgradable to certain levels.  If you upgrade too much you’ll actually start to hear the limitations of the turntable itself but its a nice problem to have
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    NM70698 said:
    PSUS2H said:

I have this and it serves me quite well.  I have the blue cartridge, but I'm sure the red sounds great too.  This is a good option if you just aren't willing to let go of the automatic function (i.e., automatic return of tone arm when one side of the record finishes). 
    I went with automatic, I'm too ADD to hover over the TT to move the needle off of the run-out groove, plus sometimes its nice to nod off to a good album and not have to worry about it spinning for a bit. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,810
    JojoRice said:
    Ive got an Audio Technica LP120 and love it. 
    Same here