Options

Irritating Office Behavior

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    PJ_Soul said:
    When I ask someone a simple question because I have reason to think they might know the answer off the top of their heads, and if they don't know, their reaction is to start frantically doing research for me to find out the answer, even though I say, "okay thanks, I just thought you might know, that's okay, I'll look into it." It's like, um, stop, you are suddenly doing my work for me - I was just asking in case you knew, because I thought you might! Now please go back to minding your own business! And sometimes even when I say, "no no, don't look it up, I'll do that, I just thought you might know," they KEEP fucking going at it, and refuse to back off ... I know their intentions are good, but it's just so fucking busy-body and toe-steppy of them, and I find it very annoying.
    I'll be honest, I'm one of those that would annoy you and look it up anyways. For me though, it's usually because I genuinely want to know the answer and know that they might not tell me when they look it up. If it's something important I will give them the answer or research, but if it's something trivial I usually just keep it to myself for future knowledge. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    When I ask someone a simple question because I have reason to think they might know the answer off the top of their heads, and if they don't know, their reaction is to start frantically doing research for me to find out the answer, even though I say, "okay thanks, I just thought you might know, that's okay, I'll look into it." It's like, um, stop, you are suddenly doing my work for me - I was just asking in case you knew, because I thought you might! Now please go back to minding your own business! And sometimes even when I say, "no no, don't look it up, I'll do that, I just thought you might know," they KEEP fucking going at it, and refuse to back off ... I know their intentions are good, but it's just so fucking busy-body and toe-steppy of them, and I find it very annoying.
    I'll be honest, I'm one of those that would annoy you and look it up anyways. For me though, it's usually because I genuinely want to know the answer and know that they might not tell me when they look it up. If it's something important I will give them the answer or research, but if it's something trivial I usually just keep it to myself for future knowledge. 
    That's the toe-stepping part of it, lol. See, if the answer doesn't already exist in the general knowledge of the department, and it's my project, I want to do the research because that is part of my project. For someone else to just jump in and start doing that without being asked is basically invading someone else's project, steppin' on toes all over the place. Just so you know. :lol: You could always ask what the answer ended up being later, right? ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's the toe-stepping part of it, lol. See, if the answer doesn't already exist in the general knowledge of the department, and it's my project, I want to do the research because that is part of my project. For someone else to just jump in and start doing that without being asked is basically invading someone else's project, steppin' on toes all over the place. Just so you know. :lol: You could always ask what the answer ended up being later, right? ;)
    If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know I was stepping on your toes.

Unless it's something that would be useful or important for my job, I usually end up forgetting to ask about it later.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
    Reporting someone to HR and claiming to feel threatened, because of a throw-away "joke" about Nightmare on Elm Street.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Reporting someone to HR and claiming to feel threatened, because of a throw-away "joke" about Nightmare on Elm Street.
    The workplace and associated social events are like a police state these days. Stick to business or you could be labeled a risk and canned.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know I was stepping on your toes.

Unless it's something that would be useful or important for my job, I usually end up forgetting to ask about it later.
    Oh, well if you're just doing it independently for your own interest, then no. The annoying part is that they jump in and are all, "No no! I'm looking that up for you, hold on! I'll let you know!" while I'm saying, "No, please don't! I will be doing that." ... although why you'd want to do the research while the person who is supposed to do the research is also doing it I'm not sure. Seems redundant. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    i'm so glad i work in a place where there are no sjw's. the shit we talk about in open conversation is really quite incredible given today's climate for intolerance of such things. even hr gets in on the act. actually, sometimes they are the worst. fun place to work. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jesus. back in the office 80% along with the rest of my department after 2 years being at home alone sure has given me an appreciation for the latter. 

my director smacks his mouth when eating. LOUDLY. in his office with the door open. and talks on the phone while chewing/smacking. 

another dude in my area fucking burps, out loud, several times a day. wtf?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i'm so glad i work in a place where there are no sjw's. the shit we talk about in open conversation is really quite incredible given today's climate for intolerance of such things. even hr gets in on the act. actually, sometimes they are the worst. fun place to work. 
    just saw this. man, I wish I could go back 3 years. I forgot how fun it was back then. personnel changes mostly are the cause. but it's no longer fun. it's a fucking drag. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    jesus. back in the office 80% along with the rest of my department after 2 years being at home alone sure has given me an appreciation for the latter. 

my director smacks his mouth when eating. LOUDLY. in his office with the door open. and talks on the phone while chewing/smacking. 

another dude in my area fucking burps, out loud, several times a day. wtf?
    A coworker two doors down from me eats really loud. She eats chips louder than anyone I have ever met. Like you couldn't try to eat more loudly. I don't understand how someone like that has never been told that they eat like a fucking pig.

I just sit here and listen to her eat chip after fucking chip. 

And she talks with her mouth full too.

She also has this funny routine with toilet paper. There is a restroom across from her office that she uses an ungodly number of times each day.  There is a supply closet (that only she uses) right next to the bathroom door that she stocks one roll of toilet paper in.

Every so often she will come out of the restroom, go to the closet, take the toilet paper from the closet and put it in the bathroom. Then she will immediately go downstairs to the supply closet where all the TP and paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc., are and grab a roll of TP to replenish the extra roll that she keeps in the closet. Why she doesn't have more than one roll of TP in that closet has always baffled me. Or why not just keep a few rolls in the bathroom?  Strange fucking habit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville