The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    pjhawks said:
    3 points back. Dream is still alive.
    the dream to get thrashed by Tampa in the 1st round.  making the playoffs is usually good but this has no chance against Tampa. probably a 4 game sweep.  hope this management team doesn't get fooled by this team playing well at the end of the year. this seems to happen every year with this franchise then they think they are closer than they really are.
    true plus next game is against the Caps. :worried:
    Going to that ...hoping to see a good game.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    pjhawks said:
    3 points back. Dream is still alive.
    the dream to get thrashed by Tampa in the 1st round.  making the playoffs is usually good but this has no chance against Tampa. probably a 4 game sweep.  hope this management team doesn't get fooled by this team playing well at the end of the year. this seems to happen every year with this franchise then they think they are closer than they really are.
    I dont think Fletcher is fooled. But yes, I'd much rather see 4 or 5 games of playoff hockey and they usually play TB tough. Both teams have identical records since the middle of January.
    Watching some playoff games would be much more enjoyable than another mid round draft pick. They have enough good prospects developing already.

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Could sell my seats for good money if they made it!
    ;)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Damn, needed to win that game tonight.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    not a good way to end the season. Some positives, but mostly negatives this year :neutral:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Not shocked- good hire for this group.

BREAKING: The #Flyers have named Alain Vigneault as the 21st head coach in franchise history

Not shocked- good hire for this group.

BREAKING: The #Flyers have named Alain Vigneault as the 21st head coach in franchise history

not sure how i feel about that. Not too familiar with him except that he wins.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    This barely made a ripple in the Philly sports landscape.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    edited April 2019
    JK_Livin said:
    This barely made a ripple in the Philly sports landscape
    Yep. Flyers are almost completely off the Philly sports landscape. They have become irrelevant since this "rebuild/retool"
    Comcast knows this from declining revenue and irate season ticket holders combined with the audacity to raise ticket prices next season.
    Many long tome season ticket holders from the 70's and 80s cant afford tickets that have been in their households for decades.
    Flyers have tons of prospect/upcoming players but they need players now that are gonna take them to the next step. Time to use some of these assets to help the youth.
    They just threw huge money at a head coach. I expect to see more vet pieces added this summer.
    They need something to get some media attention back on to them
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    They will never get as much media attention than what a mascot did for them. And it's not even close.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JK_Livin said:
    Yep. Flyers are almost completely off the Philly sports landscape. They have become irrelevant since this "rebuild/retool"
    Comcast knows this from declining revenue and irate season ticket holders combined with the audacity to raise ticket prices next season.
    Many long tome season ticket holders from the 70's and 80s cant afford tickets that have been in their households for decades.
    Flyers have tons of prospect/upcoming players but they need players now that are gonna take them to the next step. Time to use some of these assets to help the youth.
    They just threw huge money at a head coach. I expect to see more vet pieces added this summer.
    yes because what this team needs is more middling veterans.  Sign a goal scorer but Farabee and Frost need to be in the lineup next year.

and Kate Smith statue covered up because they uncovered racist lyrics from like 75 years ago.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-cover-kate-smith-statue-remove-her-god-bless-america-after-racist-songs-come-light
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    pjhawks said:
    JK_Livin said:
    yes because what this team needs is more middling veterans.  Sign a goal scorer but Farabee and Frost need to be in the lineup next year.

and Kate Smith statue covered up because they uncovered racist lyrics from like 75 years ago.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-cover-kate-smith-statue-remove-her-god-bless-america-after-racist-songs-come-light
    "She also recorded, 'That’s Why Darkies Were Born,' which included the lyrics, 'Someone had to pick the cotton. … That’s why darkies were born.'" 

Fucking hell!  Not very Gritty-like.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    pjhawks said:
    JK_Livin said:

"She also recorded, 'That’s Why Darkies Were Born,' which included the lyrics, 'Someone had to pick the cotton. … That’s why darkies were born.'" 

Fucking hell!  Not very Gritty-like.
    you can't hold people from almost a century ago to the standards of today. standards change and grow with each generation. i'm sure in 50 years people then will wonder what we are thinking today (they will probably question most rap lyrics)
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    pjhawks said:
    you can't hold people from almost a century ago to the standards of today. standards change and grow with each generation. i'm sure in 50 years people then will wonder what we are thinking today (they will probably question most rap lyrics)
    That's really interesting about the rap lyrics part, never thought of that and it's a good point.  It's unfair of me to speak to the Flyers' tradition part, but I live in Charlottesville, VA, and I hear the same "you can't judge them" argument about Thomas Jefferson and Robert E. Lee, two guys I will definitely judge.  As an outsider I was shocked by that article; not trying to say that is right or wrong, just that I understand if the organization would want to distance themselves from her.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    pjhawks said:
    JK_Livin said:

Who said anything about acquiring middling veterans? Strange interpretation there. They absolutely need a top Vet D-man.
    pjhawks said:
    JK_Livin said:

Who said anything about acquiring middling veterans? Strange interpretation there. They absolutely need a top Vet D-man.
    i just mean that is kind of who then end up signing usually. 
    Pissed they traded Gudas!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Good trade for them.  GoonAss wasn't a top 4 D-man 
    Solid trade imo. This also tells me Ghost is gone.
    Solid trade imo. This also tells me Ghost is gone.
    and they traded for a 2nd veteran defensemen.   definitely another big move coming.  i don't like the idea of trading one of the young d-men though unless you are getting a stud forward back.  we shall see.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    whats the deal with giving Hayes $50 Million?
    MayDay10 said:
    whats the deal with giving Hayes $50 Million?
    typical dumb over pay for a veteran move by the Flyers. no reason to give him over $7 million a year for 7 years.  
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I admit i don't follow Hockey like i did, but how can the Flyers pass on the best Goal scorer in the Draft(from what i read), in Paul Caufield? I do watch the World JR. Championships and i could tell he was a Natural goal scorer. Then i heard the announcers say he scored 72 Goals last year.  The D-Man (Cam York) they took also played for Team USA in this pass WC and he is good, but do the Flyers need D over a potential consistent goal scorer like Caufield? Maybe the Flyers passed because of his size?( 5' 7" 157 LB.s)

Thoughts from those who follow the Flyers on a consistent basis.
    I hate the first round pick. You had a chance at Boldy, Caufield or Kaliyev. Boldy was my first preference and he was there for them.
    cutz said:
    I admit i don't follow Hockey like i did, but how can the Flyers pass on the best Goal scorer in the Draft(from what i read), in Paul Caufield? I do watch the World JR. Championships and i could tell he was a Natural goal scorer. Then i heard the announcers say he scored 72 Goals last year.  The D-Man (Cam York) they took also played for Team USA in this pass WC and he is good, but do the Flyers need D over a potential consistent goal scorer like Caufield? Maybe the Flyers passed because of his size?( 5' 7" 157 LB.s)

Thoughts from those who follow the Flyers on a consistent basis.
    Typical flyers move. Let’s pass up s goal scorer because he’s small. 
    Hartman to Dallas for Tyler Pitlick
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Im not sure about Caufield.  He is still a very risky pick and very 1-dimensional.  Lots of teams chose to punt on him.   

Everyone points to Debrincat, but he has a level of nastiness that keeps him going and preserves space.  Same with Domi.  

Kaliyev is also too risky to take at 12 or 14.  He doesnt do any particular thing well, and a huge % of his goals came on the PP.  The criticism on him is he scores many of his goals finding the empty space and taking advantage.  Those spaces don't typically exist once he leaves amateurs.  Also seems to lack intensity.

I think if I were in the FLyers' spot there, I would have been most happy with Krebs, even though I would have to watch my team's 1st round draft choice limp up, barely able to get on the stage.
    Kaliyev taken by Kings at 33.  Stoked to see him fall there.  I liked hearing the team's comments about those "compete" questions.
    Turcotte at 5 and Bjornfot at 22.  Both look to be very good prospects.
    Hate to see your team w/3 picks in the top 33 but it is typically needed when that lines up.

Reading on the FLyers' picks, it appears they felt they could not pass on York.
    The shooter they picked in the 2nd round is not a big guy so I don't think the pass on Caulfield was due to him being smaller.
    If the Flyers are going after goalies just get him :smiley:
    Image result for geico duncan

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA