Options

The 25th Anniversary of Kurt Cobain's passing

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,440
I regret not seeing Nirvana back in the early 90's when I could have.  

Comments

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2019
    i had tickets lined up to see led zeppelin then john drank too much and died
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Saw Nirvana once, November of 93.
    You just never know.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    edited April 2019
    I was 13, if i was just a bit older i could have experienced some amazing shows but alas it was out of my hands.  Instead i was at home reading rolling stone, YM magazine, watching MTV and listening to my cds.  I’ll never forget when Kurt died.  I went to Aberdeen a couple years ago to pay my respects, pix below..
    Post edited by jacquelynca on
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372

IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Still have my Dublin 8th April 1994 ticket  :s
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725

Cool pictures. From the Muddy Banks was the second live album I ever had....after their Unplugged album. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The only thing I really remember about Cobain's death was getting this big lecture about drugs from my parents.  I was probably the most straight edge kid in high school at the time and prided myself on that fact.  I don't think my mom had any doubts but my asshole fuckface stepfather was just determined to make me out to be a "bad kid."
  • Options
    The only thing I really remember about Cobain's death was getting this big lecture about drugs from my parents.  I was probably the most straight edge kid in high school at the time and prided myself on that fact.  I don't think my mom had any doubts but my asshole fuckface stepfather was just determined to make me out to be a "bad kid."
    King Jeremy, the Wicked.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    I saw them only once, in Vancouver on January 4, 1994. I was only 13, but my dad knew that the music meant a lot to me, so he took my closest friend and me to the show. He stood stoically at the back of the PNE forum, with his fingers in his ears, and this expression on his face that just shouted "I rather be anywhere else but here right now." My friend and I would weave our way in and out of the mosh pit to check on him from time to time, and he just didn't move for the entire show.

Due to his incredible kindness and support, that same friend and I (who have remained best friends since we were 7 years' old) saw so many awesome shows in Vancouver and Seattle in the early 90's that we wouldn't have otherwise had the ability to see live; either because we were too young to go alone, or because it was all ages in Seattle but not Vancouver. After Nirvana, he refused to go into the show, but he would drive us down to Seattle and find a coffee shop to hang out in for a few hours before driving us back to Vancouver after the show. Such highlights include: Lollapaloozas 1992-1994, Neil Young w/PJ w/ Blind Melon, Sept 4, 1993 at B.C. Place, Radiohead at DV8 (a 200 person capacity club) in Seattle March 24, 1996, Bowie & NIN in Tacoma October 24, 1995, etc...).

Having the band honour him by playing "I've got a Feeling" at Fenway in 2016 was one of the most incredible moments in my life, and it really started the healing process towards accepting his passing in June of that year. All of you good people here made that happen, and I cannot thank all of you enough!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    mwplum said:
    I saw them only once, in Vancouver on January 4, 1994. I was only 13, but my dad knew that the music meant a lot to me, so he took my closest friend and me to the show. He stood stoically at the back of the PNE forum, with his fingers in his ears, and this expression on his face that just shouted "I rather be anywhere else but here right now." My friend and I would weave our way in and out of the mosh pit to check on him from time to time, and he just didn't move for the entire show.

Due to his incredible kindness and support, that same friend and I (who have remained best friends since we were 7 years' old) saw so many awesome shows in Vancouver and Seattle in the early 90's that we wouldn't have otherwise had the ability to see live; either because we were too young to go alone, or because it was all ages in Seattle but not Vancouver. After Nirvana, he refused to go into the show, but he would drive us down to Seattle and find a coffee shop to hang out in for a few hours before driving us back to Vancouver after the show. Such highlights include: Lollapaloozas 1992-1994, Neil Young w/PJ w/ Blind Melon, Sept 4, 1993 at B.C. Place, Radiohead at DV8 (a 200 person capacity club) in Seattle March 24, 1996, Bowie & NIN in Tacoma October 24, 1995, etc...).

Having the band honour him by playing "I've got a Feeling" at Fenway in 2016 was one of the most incredible moments in my life, and it really started the healing process towards accepting his passing in June of that year. All of you good people here made that happen, and I cannot thank all of you enough!
    Aren't parents amazing that way? I used to love to ski as a young teenager, but back then there wasn't any public transportation up to the ski hills, so my dad would drive me all the way up to the mountain, and just wait for me for 4 or 5 hours while I went skiing. He'd just sit in his car and read (He had a messed up knee and couldn't ski himself). I can't believe he was actually willing to do that for me, lol, but I appreciated it!

I was at a P!nk concert on April 5th - she covered Smells Like Teen Spirit in Cobain's honour, and it was BY FAR the best part of the show for me. She did a great job with it! You could easily spot the rockers in the crowd who somehow ended up at a P!nk show, because we were the only ones out of our seats totally rocking out during the cover while the rest of the crowd couldn't care less. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Nothing to do with anything on topic...but I like your description of your stepfather.
    The idea of asshole fuckface just makes me laugh a little.
    Sorry you had to endure that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    PJ_Soul said:
    mwplum said:

Aren't parents amazing that way? I used to love to ski as a young teenager, but back then there wasn't any public transportation up to the ski hills, so my dad would drive me all the way up to the mountain, and just wait for me for 4 or 5 hours while I went skiing. He'd just sit in his car and read (He had a messed up knee and couldn't ski himself). I can't believe he was actually willing to do that for me, lol, but I appreciated it!

I was at a P!nk concert on April 5th - she covered Smells Like Teen Spirit in Cobain's honour, and it was BY FAR the best part of the show for me. She did a great job with it! You could easily spot the rockers in the crowd who somehow ended up at a P!nk show, because we were the only ones out of our seats totally rocking out during the cover while the rest of the crowd couldn't care less. :lol:
    Pink was here April 1, cheap seats were like $165. Made for an easy excuse to say "no" when my wife asked to go.
  • Options
    mwplum said:

Great story, thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    Never saw them. I think the last time they played philly was in ‘91 or something and I didn’t have my money or a car.  

I do remember the day that I found out that he died. I was working and on the way home Every radio station that I listen to was playing it. I thought odd but pretty cool. Got home turned on mtv and Kurt loder told everyone about it.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I visited Seattle around a year and a half ago with a group of friends, and I felt I had to make a pilgrimage to Kurt's house.  It was a really strange experience.  It was early September, and a warm day, but it was really hazy, so much so that the sun had turned the sky a weird pinky, orange glow - it felt oddly fitting.  The house was exactly the same as I'd remembered from the pictures taken when he died, and instantly brought up a lot of emotions.  I was only 13 when Kurt died, and it really felt like the end of my childhood.  I'm not sure if it's the young age I was when I first experienced that loss, but it's stayed with me ever since, just a deep sadness.  

For many years after Kurt died, I couldn't really listen to Nirvana, and I think that's what made me seek out other music, and ultimately Pearl Jam became the band I turned to time and again.  Even though Ed deals with some pretty heavy subjects, I feel there's a lot of positivity in the way he approaches things.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited April 2019
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mwplum said:

Pink was here April 1, cheap seats were like $165. Made for an easy excuse to say "no" when my wife asked to go.
    Oh, yeah, my friend paid for the ticket and just gave it to me so that I would go. There is no way I would have if I'd had to pay for it myself, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    Never got to see Nirvana. 
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    I have already turned my interest to PJ when Kurt died but I was very bumped.
    Even in my non rock friendly music country, France, news of his death were everywhere.
    I was 14 at the time and all the kids (myself included) learned basic guitar riffing with his song. His music was super influential on us.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?