Rolling Stones cancel tour; Jazz Fest looking for replacement act (again)

Chris KirbyChris Kirby Posts: 26
edited April 2019 in Other Music
Stones were to headline the 50th annual Jazz Fest in New Orleans . Stones canceled tour. Jazz Fest looking for a headliner for May 2. 
Post edited by Chris Kirby on

Comments

• hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    Nothing says jazz like the Rolling Stones.
  • Chris KirbyChris Kirby Posts: 26
    edited March 2019
    Or Pearl Jam. Jazz Fest 2010, 2016. Voodoo Fest 2013. Steve Gleason. 
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    was on the "rail" for the 2016 show.  When they announced the cancellation this morning I immediately thought PJ. Jazzfest has  connections to PJ and PJ has connections to the Rolling Stones. Seems logical. Or they could just throw everyone off and get the Killers like everyone else does in this situation  =)

Oh yeah btw we got This as an opener last Jazzfest around: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARHSSE8Ixc
    edited March 2019
    It ain’t gonna happen, but can you imagine if it did? That day is already sold out for the stones, so the only way to get tickets would be via 3rd party or though those that wanted a refund due to the cancellation. Imagine the prices. 
    It ain’t gonna happen, but can you imagine if it did? That day is already sold out for the stones, so the only way to get tickets would be via 3rd party or though those that wanted a refund due to the cancellation. Imagine the prices. 
    It would literally throw this board into meltdown mode!!!! Speaking of that, I wonder how this is going to go down. I bought my  Thursday  ticket during the first release. Stood in line from 3 IN THE MORNING till ticket box opened at 10. Are they going to give us someone else? Refund the money? How do you even fix this?!
  • Ticketmaster sent an email this morning stating that they are issuing refunds but are also working on the lineup for that day. Who do you get to replace the Stones? Otherwise, they face massive refunds. 
    Ticketmaster sent an email this morning stating that they are issuing refunds but are also working on the lineup for that day. Who do you get to replace the Stones? Otherwise, they face massive refunds. 
    on the Advocate's website, Keith Spera made an Argument for U2, even though they played the Superdome in September... Other than that, I'd be all for them getting any other festival act and just bringing the price down to normal. 

This thing was a shit show from the beginning. $185 for one day? It seems like that was the only way that they were going to get the Stones to play. If they made their usual cut, and Jazzfest was able to get some off the top of that. Closing down the festival for half a day though JUST for them? I don't even know anymore. It's all gone to shit. You get what you put out there is all im gunna say!
    PS  - im listening back to that Jazzfest 2016 show... What a rare gem. In Hiding, Of The Earth, Last Exit, AND Long Road in the MIDDLE of the set!!! And people here like to talk shit about PJ Festival shows :o
    edited March 2019
    2010 set was supposed to open with Lukin. They threw in So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star in front of it. That was a killer set. And they let Steve Gleason choose the entire setlist for Voodoo Fest. Always good in the Big Easy. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    PS  - im listening back to that Jazzfest 2016 show... What a rare gem. In Hiding, Of The Earth, Last Exit, AND Long Road in the MIDDLE of the set!!! And people here like to talk shit about PJ Festival shows :o
    The Real Me is crazy good.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Ticketmaster sent an email this morning stating that they are issuing refunds but are also working on the lineup for that day. Who do you get to replace the Stones? Otherwise, they face massive refunds. 
    on the Advocate's website, Keith Spera made an Argument for U2, even though they played the Superdome in September... Other than that, I'd be all for them getting any other festival act and just bringing the price down to normal. 

This thing was a shit show from the beginning. $185 for one day? It seems like that was the only way that they were going to get the Stones to play. If they made their usual cut, and Jazzfest was able to get some off the top of that. Closing down the festival for half a day though JUST for them? I don't even know anymore. It's all gone to shit. You get what you put out there is all im gunna say!
    Sounds about like some current solo Ed face value prices there! Might get ourselves a solo Ed show after all!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Two Katy Perry shows!!!
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    This was going to be my first time seeing the Stones, so I'm pretty bummed.
  • Would love PJ. I could see McCartney filling this spot. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

The highest prices are usually PJ in NY anyway.
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    I’m going to Jazz fest this year but not arriving in NOLA until the 3rd. Missing Gary Clark Jr. Boo 
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Such a fun show!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    mattcoz said:
    This was going to be my first time seeing the Stones, so I'm pretty bummed.
    Me too. can't believe it had to happen this way.

Would love PJ. I could see McCartney filling this spot. 
    Macca is playing the Smoothie King Center in NOLA around 15 days after Jazzfest. Not sure Livenation would appreciate that. 

I really want to know who it's going to be
  • CC9172CC9172 northern new jersey Posts: 123
    How about the WHO? They are starting their US tour on May 7th so they are available for May 2nd.
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    was on the "rail" for the 2016 show.  When they announced the cancellation this morning I immediately thought PJ. Jazzfest has  connections to PJ and PJ has connections to the Rolling Stones. Seems logical. Or they could just throw everyone off and get the Killers like everyone else does in this situation  =)

Oh yeah btw we got This as an opener last Jazzfest around: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARHSSE8Ixc
    The Killers start a tour May 5th in Memphis.... so The Killers it is.
    CC9172 said:
    How about the WHO? They are starting their US tour on May 7th so they are available for May 2nd.
    The Who would be an ideal fit. Or Pete Townshend solo (if he does that sort of thing..) to promote his new book coming out. 

kaw753 said:
    The Killers start a tour May 5th in Memphis.... so The Killers it is.
    I seriously hope not... I saw them at 3 festivals in like a 6 month period and I'm pretty sure thats enough for a lifetime. 

I mean who can they even get from the 70's and 80's that even tours anymore? Tommy Tutone? Gary Numan? Naked Eyes?? The Romantics?! 

I'd love to see them take all that money and throw it at acts that they would have never ever in a million years booked to see if they can get a younger demographic in to continue Jazzfest into the next generation. More and more of these legacy acts are getting to their final curtain call. For instance, Papa Roach is playing West Palm Beach on May 4th, throw them on the Congo (smallest) main stage that night and see who shows up. By no means am I saying they are a proper fit at all, i'm just using that as an example. 
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    They need a massive name with a strong legacy, if they're going to replace The Rolling Stones. Could someone talk Page & Plant into saddling up one time for a nice price?
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    They need a massive name with a strong legacy, if they're going to replace The Rolling Stones. Could someone talk Page & Plant into saddling up one time for a nice price?
    That idea has been thrown around quite a bit since Saturday. Logically, I just can't see it happening given the time frame we have to work with.
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    Was announced earlier today, Led Zeppelin doing a one time reunion show with Grohl on drums. 
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    dlymnfld said:
    Was announced earlier today, Led Zeppelin doing a one time reunion show with Grohl on drums. 
    Ha.  Has to be April Fools but still going to Google it.
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    dlymnfld said:
    Ha.  Has to be April Fools but still going to Google it.
    It is, but not mine as some festival site tweeted. I just added Grohl part. 
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Led Zeppelin doesn't do shows.   It's all on Robert Plant.   He's pretty much said the same thing for decades.   He doesn't like doing it because Bonham's not there.   I'm not sure how they got talked into that reunion show 10 years ago, but I wish I'd gone.  He's pretty stubborn about not doing shows.

On the flipside we were supposed to go the Stones in Houston.   We're stuck with the airplane tickets, so we're going to road trip through Lousiana and go to a day of Jazzfest (probably the Friday).  I think Santana is headling that night.   Never been to any of the Southern US before.  Should be amazing :)
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    The logical choice given the age of the target audience is The Eagles.

Either that or Page/Plant with McCartney on bass and Ringo Starr on drums. 
  • email from Ticketmaster:

Jazz Fest Fan,

As you are aware, the Rolling Stones will not be appearing at Jazz Fest.

We have already processed a refund for your May 2 General Admission tickets, including fees, and it should post to your account within 7-10 business days.

Jazz Fest May 2 Talent Update: Fleetwood Mac

Jazz Fest is excited to announce that Fleetwood Mac will perform on Thursday, May 2. Tickets are only $75 through April 19, and a day-specific ticket is required for admission.