Options

Islamist extremism caused 84,000 deaths worldwide in 2017, new report says

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Islamist extremism caused 84,000 deaths worldwide in 2017, new report says

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/islamist-extremism-caused-84000-deaths-worldwide-in-2017-a-new-report-says/?fbclid=IwAR3-aHFiK7JHH6ABz2dobG1DkqXrlrF_5d6m_pFkPpppGm8l4t40ZV427ek

Good thing its the religion of peace...otherwise it might be worse.
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    Think it would be important to know how that total breaks down.

and Blair, well he was a part of the Iraq lie with Bush et al.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Would be useful to see statistics on a larger, longer scale of the number of deaths caused by Islamist extremism compared with other religious groups extremism- especially over the last 2,000 years. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    Yes and 70,000 Americans loose their lives to opioids every yr and I know two wrongs don’t make 1right but still food for though and does that study also include how many Americans are gunned down every yr ? By American terrorist ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    Religion should be gone in 2019.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Swallowed by a whale, perhaps.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Yes and 70,000 Americans loose their lives to opioids every yr and I know two wrongs don’t make 1right but still food for though and does that study also include how many Americans are gunned down every yr ? By American terrorist ? 
    If the Americans are Islamist who commit the terror acts, then yes they would be part of the study.  But why would mass shooters who are non-Islamist be part of this study?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/33tofh/how_many_people_have_been_killed_in_the_name_of/

How Many People Have Been Killed in the Name of Religion?

How many deaths have been caused by religion? Here's a list of religiously motivated wars and genocides and their death tolls. Let me know if I missed any!

• The Crusades: 6,000,000

• Thirty Years War: 11,500,000

• French Wars of Religion: 4,000,000

• Second Sudanese Civil War: 2,000,000

• Lebanese Civil War: 250,000

• Muslim Conquests of India: 80,000,000

• Congolese Genocide (King Leopold II): 13,000,000

• Armenian Genocide: 1,500,000

• Rwandan Genocide: 800,000

• Eighty Years' War: 1,000,000

• Nigerian Civil War: 1,000,000

• Great Peasants' Revolt: 250,000

• First Sudanese Civil War: 1,000,000

• Jewish Diaspora (Not Including the Holocaust): 1,000,000

• The Holocaust (Jewish and Homosexual Deaths): 6,500,000

• Islamic Terrorism Since 2000: 150,000

• Iraq War: 500,000

• US Western Expansion (Justified by "Manifest Destiny"):20,000,000

• Atlantic Slave Trade (Justified by Christianity): 14,000,000

• Aztec Human Sacrifice: 80,000

• AIDS deaths in Africa largely due to opposition to condoms: 30,000,000

• Spanish Inquisition: 5,000

• TOTAL: 195,035,000 deaths in the name of religion.

I'm not sure how accurate these figures are, but close enough. 

• Options
    This...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    If the Americans are Islamist who commit the terror acts, then yes they would be part of the study.  But why would mass shooters who are non-Islamist be part of this study?
    Because they are terrorrist ! 
  • Options
    But the report is talking Islamist terrorist... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    But the report is talking Islamist terrorist... 
    Ok sorry didn’t mean to derail 
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited March 2019
    I'm not sure why deflections referring to the Crusades or drug overdoses are necessary here?

Why not include Viking invasions as well? Or the Black Death?

In this current and most relevant era, Islamic Extremism is a global threat. I like to think that it has been somewhat quelled; however, I don't think anybody is holding their breath prior to the next extreme act of violence.

And before it starts... no... I am not condemning all Muslims for the atrocities committed by the extreme variety of their religion. That being said, just as I feel with Christianity, we need to evolve to the point where people need to reconcile their existence on this little chunk of rock in our little galaxy amongst all the other little galaxies.

Religion- a man made paradigm- has been the single most divisive factor causing conflict around the planet (with greed being a close contender). 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited March 2019
    I'm not sure why deflections referring to the Crusades or drug overdoses are necessary here?

Why not include Viking invasions as well? Or the Black Death?

In this current and most relevant era, Islamic Extremism is a global threat. I like to think that it has been somewhat quelled; however, I don't think anybody is holding their breath prior to the next extreme act of violence.

And before it starts... no... I am not condemning all Muslims for the atrocities committed by the extreme variety of their religion. That being said, just as I feel with Christianity, we need to evolve to the point where people need to reconcile their existence on this little chunk of rock in our little galaxy amongst all the other little galaxies.

Religion- a man made paradigm- has been the single most divisive factor causing conflict around the planet (with greed being a close contender). 
    I I don't get the deflections either - it's not like Islamic terrorism isn't a major global threat. The fact that are other threats in the world too is neither here nor there.
    The only thing that is actually going to calm the Islamic terrorist threat is for Islamic ruled nations to modernize, revolutionize, allow women to participate fully in society, and to be lead by much more secular governments. No amount of fighting Islamic terrorists is going to stop it. That actually just makes the problem worse - it just radicalizes more recruits.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    brianlux said:
    Swallowed by a whale, perhaps.
    ** Big fish :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1