Live At The Garden 2003 - Live On 4 Legs

We're continuing our year long MSG series this week one undoubtedly one of their most popular shows of all time - the Live At The Garden DVD show from 2003. This show is obviously jam packed with amazing moments from the stage rocking during Evolution to Ben Harper's appearances to classic and legendary performances of some of their best songs.

If you were in attendance that night, we'd like to hear from you about your experience being at the show. For many of you that weren't there, I'm sure you've watched the DVD before. If you have a favorite moment or memory from this show whether it be at the Garden or on your couch, we'd love to hear about it. Comment below and let us know what you think or send us an email at liveon4legspodcast@gmail.com.
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    1st show outside of the UK:) 
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • There are some events in your life that are magical. This concert is one for me. 

It was my 2nd PJ show ever (1st one being Uniondale a few months earlier). I took the train into the city with 4 of my friends. We had gotten our tickets at Tower Records when they went on sale and we sat behind the stage in row C of section 215. 
    We caught the end of the Buzzcocks set when Eddie came out to sing on "Why Can't I Touch It?" Pretty cool to see.
    Love Boat Captain to start off was a nice surprise.
    Last Exit -> Save You-> Green Disease were a great trio. 
    In My Tree was the best non-Jack version I've heard and I replay it often.
    Cropduster -> Even Flow->Gimme Some Truth-> I Am Mine worked well together, somehow. 
    The three Yield songs in a row (Low Light-> Faithful-> Wishlist) were great, especially when the disco ball dropped for Wishlist. Seeing MSG lit up like that was a great moment.
    Lukin-> Grievance-> 1/2 Full rocked.
    Black-> Spin the black circle ->RVM was a great way to close out the main set. 

The encores were when things really got nutty.
    You are and thumbing my way Good way to start off slow.
    Daughter with Ben Harper was awesome, and I'm not a big Ben Harper fan. He seemed to be feeling the same thing that the audience was..this concert was quickly being coming "magical".
    Crown Of Thrones -> Breathe WOW
    Betterman was good.
    Do The Evolution was the pinnacle of the evening. The place was really bouncing. I had never experienced that before at MSG or anywhere else. The place was going INSANE. 

Crazy Mary->Indifference with Ben after the 1st encore they had to cool things down about a bit.
     At some point in this encore, they announced it was going to cost them $14,000 to continue and break the curfew. No one wanted this show to be over.
    Sonic Reducer-> Baba-> Yellow Ledbetter.  Full on celebrate mode. These three songs were like a victory lap.

We left the building awestruck by what we just saw and walked back to Grand Central.  I wasn't lucky enough to be at 9/11/98 at MSG, but I can tell you out of the 6 MSG shows I've been to this is clearly #1. In fact, this is the best Pearl Jam show (22) and the overall best concert I've ever been to. There have been better setlists, better vocal performances, better guests, but nothing for me has ever matched or come close to matching this night. The DVD does it some justice, but can't capture it fully. 

Also, after the show, I decided that I had to go again tomorrow and scalped a ticket for $120 dollars outside MSG. Worth every penny and more.
    4/30/03 7/8/03 7/9/03 7/14/03 9/28/04 9/29/04 9/15/05 5/13/06 6/01/06 6/02/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/27/08 7/1/08 8/4/08 8/5/08 6/8/09 5/19/2010 5/20/2010 5/21/2010 6/22/2011 10/25/2013 8/5/2016 9/2/2018
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,035
    Ditto everything above. 17 shows and it is probably my favorite. 2 appearances by Ben Harper! 
    Low Light is a favorite song of mine, and this was maybe the 5 time it was played? I couldn’t believe my luck!

In my Tree? I was so psyched for that. Evolution was killer and the energy in the room was just palpable! Ed’s speech about the stage bouncing was so great!

30+ song shows were not the norm, so I couldn’t believe when they just kept playing and playing!

everyone singing Baba was thrilling! Thinking it was over and then heading Ledbetter begin? Man!

great memories!
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Didn't attend, but have watched many times. The joy on the audience member's faces when Baba starts is always the happiest part of the show, and Jeff dancing around like a madman with Eddie doing the tambo schtick before it was tired made for a great moment. I've watched that performance of that song more than any other. It is a quintessential PJ show from their best touring year.
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    Ah my third pj show. Came over from Dublin.  First time in New York.  I remember walking in to the venue and seeing msg all set up. Was behind the stage. I'll never forget it. No other band makes me love music more then pj . The set was amazing.  In my tree and wishlist highlights. Went the second night too. They are the perfect band and Jesus this were tight as the proverbial snare drum that night

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 924
    This was a really fun show to cover. Lots of memorable moments. Check it out here:
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com