Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Second Helping' Round 2

2»

Comments

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited March 2019
    Working For MCA
    My vote still hasn't changed and I won't tell YEEIUUO no lies!
    Haunting, haunting, haunting - no! 

My boys covered this at the 'One More For The Fans' Skynyrd tribute too, sigh.....

https://youtu.be/AGos8q6yP28

Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    Ha ha!! Sorry Nancy, not budging on this one! Even your boys won't make me change my mind ;)
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Working For MCA
    Ha ha!! Sorry Nancy, not budging on this one! Even your boys won't make me change my mind ;)
    Can't blame a girl for trying. :smiley:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    MedozK said:
    rgambs said:
    My Dad is a talented musician and extreme lover of music.  He loves good music of all types.  He grew up rural, but in Ohio.
    I couldn't tell you how many times the record player went straight from Yellow Brick Road to Second Helping.  Or Deja Vú to Harvest to Second Helping.  

I've found in my life that 100% of the time, when a person refuses a certain type of music as a whole (southern rock, jazz, rap, country, etc) it's because they are unwilling to like it.  "Not my cup of tea" means "I'm not willing to taste it".

I said the same thing about rap and country when I was a teenager...but I grew up lol
    I am still continuing my journey through the 1001 albums to listen to before you die..... and some are TOTALLY not my taste, but I think the more I listen to, the more I appreciate artistry and why the albums are considered great.

Challenges to the music connoisseurs: 
    The 1001 Albums to listen to before you die.
    https://www.listchallenges.com/1001-albums-you-must-hear-before-you-die-2016

1001 Recordings to hear before you die:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100212234214/http://www.1000recordings.com/the-list

The albums list is a much easier listen, but the recordings list has a MUCH deeper breadth of artistry. It includes, world music, classical, and just much more of an eclectic variety.

If you want a REAL challenge. Listen to this selection from the 1001 Recordings to Hear Before You Die.
    Genre: Folk
    Artist:  Roscoe Holcomb
    Album: The High Lonesome Sound
    From the Book:
    "Roscoe Holcomb's voice is an acquired taste. It is thin and reedy, scratched and scraggly, with hints of desperation around the edges. Some have described him as a prototypical "mountain man"—singing in wild "get off my land!" bursts, his voice coming across thorny, unapologetic, tetchy, and mean. Before you write him off, however, consider those who have been captivated by his work—among them Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, and Ralph Stanley.

The folklorist John Cohen, who helped bring attention to Holcomb (1911–1981) during the folk revival of the early '60s, characterized his singing style as "the high lonesome sound." That description, which later was attached to Bill Monroe and other bluegrass singers, comes close to catching Holcomb's eerie tone, his faintly otherworldly presence.

This album gathers recordings made in 1961, 1964, and 1974, and shows Holcomb as a singer with zero performance affectation—when he tells a tale like that of "Trouble in Mind," he conveys a completely open, unvarnished humanity. Hear him sing anything and you can tell he's a man who has come to his wisdom one hardship at a time.

Holcomb lived in Daisy, Kentucky, in the Appalachian Mountains, and worked in coal mines and on construction jobs for most of his life. A guitarist who played excellent banjo, Holcomb didn't have a professional career, and during long spans of his life he made music only for himself. His specialties included the blues, hymns (his falsetto style comes from the Old Regular Baptist tradition), and allegorical ballads. His singing isn't smooth; usually he phrases in irregular fits and starts. But if you listen a while, you might well find his music entrancing—the haunted and haunting sound of an America that's a long time gone."

Here is one track "Trouble in Mind" that they talk about in the book.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCV7taW-IhA&index=5&list=OLAK5uy_ml_o55T6pgufSQJ0wkpTVqSUtGkBDqs2E

This isn't the kind of music I would want to listen to everyday, but my first reaction on listening to this is, "It's as real as it gets".   If I had the album, I would probably limit listening to one side or maybe even just a few cuts at a time.  Full of emotion and real, that's for sure.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2019
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    For me, it's got a great riff, but then it just gets (literally) overblown with the horn section and tapped out with Al Kooper's boogie keys. I don't know who said it's the essential Lynyrd Skynyrd song (paraphrasing), but to me, the essential Lynyrd Skynyrd song doesn't include a whole bunch of guest players. It's a great number for the dance floor, but on this album, I'd have to give the slight edge to "Call Me the Breeze" for dance numbers. I don't get as much listening fatigue from that one, plus it has that thumping bass line, bumping it to another level.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    Don't Ask Me Questions
     Y’alls need to listen to Don’t and Workin again
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,835
    The Needle And The Spoon
    MedozK said:
    rgambs said:
    My Dad is a talented musician and extreme lover of music.  He loves good music of all types.  He grew up rural, but in Ohio.
    I couldn't tell you how many times the record player went straight from Yellow Brick Road to Second Helping.  Or Deja Vú to Harvest to Second Helping.  

I've found in my life that 100% of the time, when a person refuses a certain type of music as a whole (southern rock, jazz, rap, country, etc) it's because they are unwilling to like it.  "Not my cup of tea" means "I'm not willing to taste it".

I said the same thing about rap and country when I was a teenager...but I grew up lol
    I am still continuing my journey through the 1001 albums to listen to before you die..... and some are TOTALLY not my taste, but I think the more I listen to, the more I appreciate artistry and why the albums are considered great.

Challenges to the music connoisseurs: 
    The 1001 Albums to listen to before you die.
    https://www.listchallenges.com/1001-albums-you-must-hear-before-you-die-2016

1001 Recordings to hear before you die:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100212234214/http://www.1000recordings.com/the-list

The albums list is a much easier listen, but the recordings list has a MUCH deeper breadth of artistry. It includes, world music, classical, and just much more of an eclectic variety.

If you want a REAL challenge. Listen to this selection from the 1001 Recordings to Hear Before You Die.
    Genre: Folk
    Artist:  Roscoe Holcomb
    Album: The High Lonesome Sound

Here is one track "Trouble in Mind" that they talk about in the book.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCV7taW-IhA&index=5&list=OLAK5uy_ml_o55T6pgufSQJ0wkpTVqSUtGkBDqs2E

^^I enjoyed it, although I can see how wading thru a full album could prove challenging. His voice reminds me of an unpolished Ralph Stanley.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Working For MCA
    Round 2 will end tonight at 6 cst
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    MedozK said:
    Round 2 will end tonight at 6 cst
    I can't believe "Sweet Home Alabama" is on the chopping block this early.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    boo boo boo
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    ed243421 said:
    boo boo boo
    :lol:
  • Options
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    dankind said:
    For me, it's got a great riff, but then it just gets (literally) overblown with the horn section and tapped out with Al Kooper's boogie keys. I don't know who said it's the essential Lynyrd Skynyrd song (paraphrasing), but to me, the essential Lynyrd Skynyrd song doesn't include a whole bunch of guest players. It's a great number for the dance floor, but on this album, I'd have to give the slight edge to "Call Me the Breeze" for dance numbers. I don't get as much listening fatigue from that one, plus it has that thumping bass line, bumping it to another level.
    The Breeze is an awesome driving... I mean cruising song, not to mention that fun little piano solo :smiley:
    Love it!!!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Working For MCA
    Because of total votes, we have 3 songs eliminated. Thus, taking us to a 3-Way Final Round
This discussion has been closed.