Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Are you telling me the whitest county in the western hemisphere has racists? No way?

I thought only stupid Americans were racist? 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    Racism is alive most everywhere, unfortunately.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    JimmyV said:
    Racism is alive everywhere, unfortunately.
    Fixed 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    my2hands said:
    Are you telling me the whitest county in the western hemisphere has racists? No way?

I thought only stupid Americans were racist? 
    stupid canadians too! (but they all live in saskatchewan!). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Quebec leads the country in stupidity and corruptness. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Terrific people on both sides.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited February 2019
    It sure doesn't feel like "the whitest country" where I live. White people are actually the minority compared to so-called visible minorities in metro Vancouver. The term "visible minority" has truly become meaningless in this region.
    In any case, how dumb to joke about any place being free of racism in response to a case of abhorrent racism hurled at a guy playing a sport.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    It sure doesn't feel like "the whitest country" where I live. White people are actually the minority compared to so-called visible minorities in metro Vancouver. The term "visible minority" has truly become meaningless in this region.
    In any case, how dumb to joke about any place being free of racism in response to a case of abhorrent racism hurled at a guy playing a sport.
    The “whitest” comment seems to stem from the fact that Canada has comparatively fewer people of African-Canadian/American descent than the US, as if that was the only “non white” group. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    The “whitest” comment seems to stem from the fact that Canada has comparatively fewer people of African-Canadian/American descent then the US, as if that was the only “non white” group. 
    haha. it's not like we're sweden FFS. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:
    The “whitest” comment seems to stem from the fact that Canada has comparatively fewer people of African-Canadian/American descent then the US, as if that was the only “non white” group. 
    That might have something to do with the slave trade, but what do I know.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    canada is right up there with aboriginal genocide though! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Canada has plenty of racist.  In our case, as you pointed out, many of that is directed at our first nations people...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I live in the "most racist city in canada", so believe me, I get it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I grew in a racist small town, 20 minutes from a first nations reserve. People were not shy about their views.  That was 30 years ago, hopefully, things have changed.  

And I bartended in a bar that banned 1st nations people at times.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I grew in a racist small town, 20 minutes from a first nations reserve. People were not shy about their views.  That was 30 years ago, hopefully, things have changed.  

like, all of them? or just certain people/groups that happened to be FN?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    You live in Thunder Bay? ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    We sure are.
  • Options

like, all of them? or just certain people/groups that happened to be FN?
    All.  These were not permanent bans. They resulted from large fights breaking out.  Was it right, I cannot answer that.  I never witnessed any problems, but the bar I worked at, the owner was an outstanding guy.  As he said, repairs are costly, and when you get many people involved in fights damage will occur.  He also had to protect his liquor licence, the police warned him that excessive calls for fight/brawls could result in a liquor licence suspension...so they also needed to protect their livelihood.

The reserve tried to get a liquor licence to sell alcohol at their arena and was turned down.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I have rarely witnessed racism directed at First Nations, probably because the Native population in my region is very small, and also probably because I'm in a bit of a bubble, working at a university that is all-in when it comes to matters of reconciliation (the one exception is my own fucking sister, who has said some really offensive shit about Natives at the dinner table, and I have no clue where it comes from. She even said something really shitty when she discovered that her husband is part Native, meaning her kids are too. She's a real bitch). But I have heard about the level of racism towards Natives in other parts of Canada, and some of the stories are just shocking to me.