What does it look like where you live?

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Right now it looks like my cat is licking her butt several feet away from me.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Brian, love that desk setup!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Jason P said:
    Because she can
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Poncier said:
    Jason P said:
    Because she can
    I think that works with some things but not with that.
    (A matter of personal taste I guess.  Lol)
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    edited February 2019
    Centre of the Great Lakes is Twin towns Forster-Tuncurry. This is home to me but where i live is more behind the lakes.
    Post edited by rhanishane on
    This beach is called One Mile beach (its in Forster NSW) famous for its huge sand hill where the photo is taken from the top of it. Many face plants in the sand going down it on cardboard sleds or body boards. its really quite steep and drills your legs walking up it.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2019

Pic taken right at this moment of Bruce Springsteens favorite arena:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Met Life?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2019
    Met Life?
    Im talking about Bruce - not tool
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    edited February 2019
    I grew up living on the 6th floor of the tallest apartment building (a.k.a. "The Tower") in a small seaside village called Aspra Spitia (English: White Houses), population 1600. View from the "Tower":
    But I'm originally from - and currently residing in - one of the 10 major Greek cities (named Serres). It's located in Central Macedonia, Northern Greece and has a population of 58000. View from the Acropolis of Serres:

Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Pap said:
    I grew up living on the 6th floor of the tallest apartment building (a.k.a. "The Tower") in a small seaside village called Aspra Spitia (English: White Houses), population 1600. View from the "Tower":
    But I'm originally from - and currently residing in - one of the 10 major Greek cities (named Serres). It's located in Central Macedonia, Northern Greece and has a population of 58000. View from the Acropolis of Serres:

Very nice, Pap!  My sister lived in Greece for six months several years ago.  She loved it.  Came back home having learned how to do all kinds of marvelous Greek cooking!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    This is where I  used to live ....
    This is where I  live now.....

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    This is where I  used to live ....
    This is where I  live now.....

Both look nice, but the top pic would be my preference.  My dog would love that pond...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Maybe I'll post a pic after Sunday's windstorm, supposed to be 110kms winds...that's if I'm not in Kansas after tomorrow.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited February 2019
    Maybe I'll post a pic after Sunday's windstorm, supposed to be 110kms winds...that's if I'm not in Kansas after tomorrow.
    Yikes!  On the Beaufort scale that's what's called a "violent storm", one classification short of a hurricane.  Be safe!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• the_donthe_don Posts: 512
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here is downtown Vancouver ... it is gorgeous, but we are fucked when it comes to rising sea levels. They better get to work on raising the the sea walls pronto.

Hey fellow Vancouverite here! That’s a great pic!!!
    2000: Montreal 2003: Toronto 2005: Toronto 2006: Toronto x2 2008: MSG x2, Montreal x2 (EV), Toronto x2 (EV) 2009: Toronto 2010: Buffalo 2011: Detroit (EV), PJ20 x2, Montreal, Toronto x2, Ottawa, Hamilton 2013: London, Buffalo, Brooklyn x2, Philly x2 2014: Detroit 2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x2, Fenway x2 2018: Home Shows x2 2020: L.A. x2, Oakland x2 
    2023: Seattle x2 (EV) 2024: Vancouver x2, Seattle x2 (ISO: 1 N1 Seattle GA)
  • If Vancouver isn't the nicest 'big city' in the world... I don't know what is.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    San Diego...they got the weather and it is probably cheaper to live there.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Near my home ... recently renamed "The Barrington Coast" formerly known as "The Great Lakes" ..3 huge lake systems between the Barrington Mountains and Mid North Coast of NSW. This is Sand Bar and Celito Beach in Pacific Palms NSW. I took the day off work to hang out there last Monday. Its a pretty boardwalk through the palms and undergrowth to get to the beach.
    Australia 👍💖

Damn that’s gorgeous..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    the_don said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here is downtown Vancouver ... it is gorgeous, but we are fucked when it comes to rising sea levels. They better get to work on raising the the sea walls pronto.

Is that section of Vancouver an island?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • From my patio door looking to the east: 

Near my home ... recently renamed "The Barrington Coast" formerly known as "The Great Lakes" ..3 huge lake systems between the Barrington Mountains and Mid North Coast of NSW. This is Sand Bar and Celito Beach in Pacific Palms NSW. I took the day off work to hang out there last Monday. Its a pretty boardwalk through the palms and undergrowth to get to the beach.
    Australia 👍💖

Damn that’s gorgeous..
    Thankyou i live on a very pretty stretch of coastline with multiple beaches. I never knew how many we had but there you go i did a quick google search....A beach can be defined as a stretch of sand longer than 20 metres and remaining dry at high tide. Based on this definition, the Coastal Studies Unit at the University of Sydney has counted 10,685 beaches in Australia.
  • Rhan...

At the mouth of the river/stream feed... isn’t that the place they warn you not to swim? Sharks?
  • Don’t get me wrong- absolutely beautiful.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:
    the_don said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No, it’s a peninsula. Burrard Inlet to the North and False Creek to the south. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Rhan...

At the mouth of the river/stream feed... isn’t that the place they warn you not to swim? Sharks?
    its an inlet to a lake. Yes may be sharks but usually dusk and dawn. Most people are aware of the dangers. surfers are the most ar risk but attacks are not too common. bull sharks can live and breed upstream and can live in almost fresh water and can be found kilometers upstream. they can be quite aggressive. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    the_don said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No, it’s a peninsula. Burrard Inlet to the North and False Creek to the south. 
    That's what I thought.  I haven't been to vancouver since 2001, I think it is time to go back.  
  • Rhan...

its an inlet to a lake. Yes may be sharks but usually dusk and dawn. Most people are aware of the dangers. surfers are the most ar risk but attacks are not too common. bull sharks can live and breed upstream and can live in almost fresh water and can be found kilometers upstream. they can be quite aggressive. 

Last question (sorry if I'm being a pain): do you have any personal experience with sharks (seeing them)?

I kinda want to see one. Not up close and in a menacing way, but from a distance so I can observe. Also the reef variety- not a tiger.
    Rhan...

Last question (sorry if I'm being a pain): do you have any personal experience with sharks (seeing them)?

I kinda want to see one. Not up close and in a menacing way, but from a distance so I can observe. Also the reef variety- not a tiger.
    I" m surprised you didn't see any sharks while vacationing in Hawaii.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    Rhan...

I" m surprised you didn't see any sharks while vacationing in Hawaii.
    I've had lots of experience diving with reef sharks (blacktip, lemon, nurse, bonnethead), and I dove in a cage to observe a tiger once. My SCUBA certification expired long ago, but I still recall my time studying sharks at Mote Marine in Sarasota as a very important time in my life. I wish I'd stayed with it sometimes.

I still study reports and have a tracker app for sightings up in this area in the summer. I basically spend my summer week on the Cape cycling and watching/watching out for great whites and seals. My wife and I saw a great white eat a harbor seal a few years back. As soon as I saw the size of the dorsal, I could tell that was like no shark I'd ever seen before in Florida. Seeing the apex predator in action was breathtaking, even if we did feel bad for the seal. The seal was in a protected, roped-off area on the beach. It was wounded and the wildlife folks and lifeguards had set up a little healing den for it. We just so happened to be there the day it decided that it was feeling better and made its way back into the Atlantic -- only to have the great white waiting for it. It was so weird; it was like the shark knew or something. We just saw the whole thing play out, knowing that little seal's seconds were numbered as it humped its way back to the ocean and the huge dorsal fin just waiting for it. 

I'm about a five minute walk from the beach now, but the great whites and seals don't make it to our little area. Bodies wash up from time to time, though. So we've got that going for us....
    I SAW PEARL JAM