Nirvana

Comments

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    rummy said:
    Are there any good live versions of Frances Farmer... out there? It wasn't played in concert very often but I'd love to hear/have one.
    Here's one...followed by a favorite B-side of mine: Sappy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6RcwPwbpig
    Nice! Thanks for posting. I wish this one got an official live release. Arguably the most underrated song on album.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rummy said:
    I liked Nirvana quite a lot when I was 15-16-17 years old.  Most of it makes my ears bleed now.  I still dig Nevermind and I honestly don't care that it's their commercial lovechild, it's still their best album by a long shot.  Was always a big fan of Lounge Act and Drain You.
    Tough call in their best album. Both Nevermind and In Utero are fantastic - just like Ten and Vs.
    agreed. there are a few songs on NM that don't do it for me anymore, but the same goes fro IU. But man, Polly gets me every time. so simple. so silly. yet so fantastic. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I know it is a comp record and people don't like them but I listen to Incesticide more than any other record of theirs.

This!!!
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071

I know it is a comp record and people don't like them but I listen to Incesticide more than any other record of theirs.

I love incestide.  Especially the punk covers.   Turnaround and Molly's Lips are great.   I think comp albums in the 90s were a bit better.  I love Pisces Iscariot by the Smashing Pumpkins a hell of a lot too.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816
    I could watch this on repeat, pretty much all day.

fuck yes!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    mcgruff10 said:
    I could watch this on repeat, pretty much all day.

fuck yes!!!
    Love that song - though not in my regular rotation of music, I still enjoy listening to their catalogue when I do. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited March 2019
    Not enough Bleach love.
    SCHOOL!
    PAPER CUTS!
    FLOYD THE BARBER!
    ABOUT A GIRL!
    BLEW!
    NEGATIVE CREEP!
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Oh there's Bleach love. Negative Creep is my jam. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited February 2019
    Oh there's Bleach love. Negative Creep is my jam. 
    Negative Creep, indeed!
    (Although I prefer the live versions of most Bleach songs)
    Post edited by rummy on
  • rummy said:
    Negative Creep, indeed!
    I do too. Melbourne '92 has a must-listen version of Love Buzz. That whole show is great....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIPB70XPub8

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • I still listen to Know you're Right and get a little excited in thinking that there is more music out there waiting to be heard.

Then I crash back to reality and realize it's over and we have what we have...
  • I still listen to Know you're Right and get a little excited in thinking that there is more music out there waiting to be heard.

It was so crazy for me when that single was released and played on MTV. 

And it feels so isolated and limiting for me to listen to Nirvana, such an amazing band but their output ist just a bit too small. So sad they didn't get the chance to release more songs, or that more stuff existed in some vault. 

I always get sad when putting on Nirvana.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I still listen to Know you're Right and get a little excited in thinking that there is more music out there waiting to be heard.

And it feels so isolated and limiting for me to listen to Nirvana, such an amazing band but their output ist just a bit too small. So sad they didn't get the chance to release more songs, or that more stuff existed in some vault. 

I put on YKYR the other day, and this also came to my mind. I mean, Hendrix fans have a seemingly endless stream of new music coming out every few years (even if some of it it just reworked/re-recorded versions of the same songs). I wish Kurt had been as into recording as Jimi was. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    edited February 2019
    I still listen to Know you're Right and get a little excited in thinking that there is more music out there waiting to be heard.

Another sad thing to think about is that with Pat Smear going forward, the follow-up album to In Utero would likely have had two guitar parts for each song, rather than the power-trio sound they went with in the past. Not sure if that would have been good or bad...but it would have been different...which I would consider a good thing. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

Another sad thing to think about is that with Pat Smear going forward, the follow-up album to In Utero would likely have had two guitar parts for each song, rather than the power-trio sound they went with in the past. Not sure if that would have been good or bad...but it would have been different...which I would consider a good thing. 
    I think Kurt would have left Nirvana if he had survived. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Based on?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Based on?
    all the comments in interviews by him and others and whatnot that have surfaced since his death. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yeah as much as I like to suggest another great album with Pat Smear involved was on the horizon, there's also the possibility of Kurt doing nothing, becoming washed-up druggie, and posting horrible acoustic renditions of Pennyroyal Tea or something on his Instagram. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    if he and CL would have stayed together, I could have seen them doing an album together. he did mention that he and Michael Stipe were talking about a collaboration. I think that's where his focus may have been going. He said he was getting tired of the same old "verse chorus verse" "loud quiet loud" formula, that it had run its course. 

That being said, so much of what he said publicly was a complete and total lie, so who knows what he really would have done. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Oops forgot to add that one to my list.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    rummy said:
    Negative Creep, indeed!
    I do too. Melbourne '92 has a must-listen version of Love Buzz. That whole show is great....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIPB70XPub8

Ahhh a show in my home city.
    I've listened to this before. 
    Wish I was old enough in 1992 to have attended. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,264
    if he and CL would have stayed together, I could have seen them doing an album together. he did mention that he and Michael Stipe were talking about a collaboration. I think that's where his focus may have been going. He said he was getting tired of the same old "verse chorus verse" "loud quiet loud" formula, that it had run its course. 

That being said, so much of what he said publicly was a complete and total lie, so who knows what he really would have done. 
    I remember there was also talk of working with Scott Litt (R.E.M's producer) at the time. It seems that Kurt was intent on moving on from their sound.

The first time I heard You Know You're Right was on Hole's MTV Unplugged set. It took a while to get used to the Nirvana version when it finally came out
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Love his voice on Aneurysm at that Melbourne show.
    Great show.
    Just finished listening to that Melbourne show. Amazing.

I've always loved this version of Negative Creep...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMBVzcjPiyo
    goldrush said:

I remember there was also talk of working with Scott Litt (R.E.M's producer) at the time. It seems that Kurt was intent on moving on from their sound.

The first time I heard You Know You're Right was on Hole's MTV Unplugged set. It took a while to get used to the Nirvana version when it finally came out
    i'm glad i didn't really pay attention to that version until after the nirvana one came out. i didn't even really realize it was on the hole unplugged (which i owned for several years prior) until i listened to it again after nirvana's version came out. i was like 'wtf, she played an unreleased nirvana track?'. that must have pissed off dave and krist. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Video of the bootleg posted earlier...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFNOGsn0g7I
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,203
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    tbergs said:
    I have a rip of this and it’s awesome
    www.cluthelee.com