Greta Van Fleet

1234568»

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    FrankY59 said:
    Grammy winners Best Rock Album...discuss.
    I think their album sucks, but I don't care about any of the other albums that were nominated either, so I don't give a shit. I'm really glad they didn't beat an actual good album. That would piss me off a bit. What is the time frame for those shitty album nominees btw???
    It's usually Oct 1 - Sept 30.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2019
    So let's get this straight about some studio albums and the Grammys ..... 

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin - Not nominated
    Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin - Not nominated
    Led Zeppelin III - Led Zeppelin - Not nominated
    Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin - Not nominated
    Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin - Not nominated
    Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin - Not nominated
    Presence - Led Zeppelin - Not nominated
    In Through the Out Door - Led Zeppelin - Not nominated
    CODA - Led Zeppelin - Not nominated

..... From the Fires - Greta Van Fleet - Nominated and winner

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

Most of the rock categories were established after Zeppelin ended. So really the category that Zep would have shot at was best album....but stuff like Stevie Wonder and the Star Wars soundtrack got nominated in that category back in the 70's over them. It's crazy, but Zeppelin weren't really critical darlings in their day. Strange. 

There did seem to be some retroactive grammys given out in the 90's to some all-time great bands that didn't get the nod in their heyday. The Rolling Stones' Voodoo Lounge beat Vs and Superunknown for best rock album. Page and Plant's Most High beat Do The Evolution, Fuel by Metallica, and Dope Show by Marilyn Manson. Good tune...not a better hard rock performance than those other three. And Pink Floyd won best instrumental (or something like that) for Marooned from Division Bell. 

Typing up this post was the most I've thought about the grammys since Grievance was nominated but lost to Guerrilla Radio by Rage in like 2001. The whole ceremony and "honor" of the grammys seems pretty meaningless to rock bands. I guess that's why Stone Gossard's was collecting dust in the corner of his basement in the PJ20 movie. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, but Cardi B won a grammy. So there's that.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It's easy to shit on the Grammy's...too easy.
    I am as much a drinker of haterade as anybody, but this one I have to pass on that sweet sip.
    Sure, for bands that have made it to the big stage, the Grammy's mean little.  But for bands still trying to break through??  For bands, artists, and groups who work behind the scenes in studio work, on feature films and TV, etc etc...the Grammy's are very important.
    Someone mentioned Star Wars soundtrack, in at least a somewhat doubtful way... Fuck yes John Williams deserves a fuck ton of Grammy's!  More than half the bands in the RRHOF!  
    Duuh duh, dut dut-uh duhhhh duh.
    Iconic.  The Star Wars theme is better music, and will last longer in human memory than anything Roxy Music, ELO, or the Zombies, for instance.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • DragonsAfter3or4DragonsAfter3or4 Bluegrass Posts: 318
    I hear they will be at the Louder Than Life fest this year. Rumor but I hear it:)🤫
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    PJ_Soul said:

Most of the rock categories were established after Zeppelin ended. So really the category that Zep would have shot at was best album....but stuff like Stevie Wonder and the Star Wars soundtrack got nominated in that category back in the 70's over them. It's crazy, but Zeppelin weren't really critical darlings in their day. Strange. 

There did seem to be some retroactive grammys given out in the 90's to some all-time great bands that didn't get the nod in their heyday. The Rolling Stones' Voodoo Lounge beat Vs and Superunknown for best rock album. Page and Plant's Most High beat Do The Evolution, Fuel by Metallica, and Dope Show by Marilyn Manson. Good tune...not a better hard rock performance than those other three. And Pink Floyd won best instrumental (or something like that) for Marooned from Division Bell. 

Typing up this post was the most I've thought about the grammys since Grievance was nominated but lost to Guerrilla Radio by Rage in like 2001. The whole ceremony and "honor" of the grammys seems pretty meaningless to rock bands. I guess that's why Stone Gossard's was collecting dust in the corner of his basement in the PJ20 movie. 

Its difficult to remember as time passes but "mainstream classic rock"  was far more alternative in its day than 90s alternative rock

If my math is correct, while the Beatles were an active band (not counting post 1971 wins) the Beatles were 5 wins 14 losses when nominated for a grammy.

Wow. The number one seller of all time by a thousand miles was 5-14 during their recording career, forgetting all the "oops we screwed up" awards after they parted ways.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2019
    Ya, but the Beatles were overrated by the public, while LZ was not. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    If anyone here is interested, or knows someone that is, I have to sell my pair of tickets to the Sunday night show in Atlanta. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • apkirklandapkirkland Big Sky Country Posts: 184
    edited September 2019
    Husband and I are headed to Ohana Fest from Montana and snagged a couple pairs of Greta Van Fleet tix, hoping to see them Monday night in Irvine after that weekend (9/30). Turns out, our work schedules aren't agreeing with our concert ticket buying habits so I now have to sell both pairs. I originally bought one pair and then upgraded when there was another drop to get closer so now I'm stuck with 4 tix to a show I can't attend (but would love to!) Anyway, hit me up if you want to see Greta Van Fleet in Irvine after Ohana Fest! Ticket locations: 
    • Sec ORC105, Row 11, Seat 1
    • Sec ORC105, Row 11, Seat 2
    • Sec TER305, Row 23, Seat 1
    • Sec TER305, Row 23, Seat 2

Selling for under face value $150/pair.
    Post edited by apkirkland on
  • apkirklandapkirkland Big Sky Country Posts: 184
    Husband and I are headed to Ohana Fest from Montana and snagged a couple pairs of Greta Van Fleet tix, hoping to see them Monday night in Irvine after that weekend (9/30). Turns out, our work schedules aren't agreeing with our concert ticket buying habits so I now have to sell both pairs. I originally bought one pair and then upgraded when there was another drop to get closer so now I'm stuck with 4 tix to a show I can't attend (but would love to!) Anyway, hit me up if you want to see Greta Van Fleet in Irvine after Ohana Fest! Ticket locations: 
    • Sec ORC105, Row 11, Seat 1
    • Sec ORC105, Row 11, Seat 2
    • Sec TER305, Row 23, Seat 1
    • Sec TER305, Row 23, Seat 2

Selling for under face value $150/pair.
    Any Ohana Fest revelers want to keep the party going with Greta Van Fleet tix on Monday, 9/30? Just dropped the price to under face so I can hopefully recoup some costs from this expensive weekend! 
  • As far as I am concerned, their new song ‘Age of Machine’ is the best they have put out. Really looking forward to the album.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 745
    edited December 2020
    I actually find their new song to be kinda boring. 

They have turned into a jam band. Especially at their live shows.  And then this new song is almost 7 minutes long...
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    New album is good... "Broken Bells" great fkn song....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby