Greta Van Fleet

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited January 2019
    For the record i heard more Heart than LZ when listening to the first song.  Not sure what their other stuff sounds like 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    For the record i heard more Heart than LZ when listening to the first song.  Not sure what their other stuff sounds like 
    I actually hear a lot of Kowalczyk in Josh. Mostly from Mental Jewelry though 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    They're Creed.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center

• Great! The drummer beats those drums like they stole from him.

Check this clip out (it's awesome). Grohl is talking about the band to about 1:45. Skip to that point (and note how the drums take a serious beating as well):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55l2IGYR5c
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

Great! The drummer beats those drums like they stole from him.

Check this clip out (it's awesome). Grohl is talking about the band to about 1:45. Skip to that point (and note how the drums take a serious beating as well):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55l2IGYR5c
    Silverchair fucking rocked and their performance had soul. The major difference is nothing they did seemed forced. GVF comes cross as too much of a parody of several different bands. I just don't enjoy it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The singer sounding bad shouldn't take away from the fact that the brothers are talented musicians.  They just are....fact.  As a guitar player I know when someone can play or is posing...they can play.

Except, as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure there was another guitar player off stage during that first song.
    Yeah, the guitar work is not just good technically, but it absolutely has the soul that PJSoul isn't willing to hear.
    The main riffs of his good songs would absolutely fit into Zeppelins catalogue.

If you took guitar-only tracks from LZ and GFV and mixed them up and played them for someone who had never heard either, there isn't a chance in hell they could pick the OG's from the "posers".

That being said...the lead singer drags them down with his voice, attitude, and fashion.  He IS a poser.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    rgambs said:
    The singer sounding bad shouldn't take away from the fact that the brothers are talented musicians.  They just are....fact.  As a guitar player I know when someone can play or is posing...they can play.

Except, as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure there was another guitar player off stage during that first song.
    Yeah, the guitar work is not just good technically, but it absolutely has the soul that PJSoul isn't willing to hear.

If you took guitar-only tracks from LZ and GFV and mixed them up and played them for someone who had never heard either, there isn't a chance in hell they could pick the OG's from the "posers".

That being said...the lead singer drags them down with his voice, attitude, and fashion.  He IS a poser.
    "Isn't willing to hear"?? That's ridiculous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    rgambs said:

He can hit the notes almost effortlessly.  He just has such a strange stage presence...especially since they have been playing so many live gigs.  He doesn't look/act any different on stage now then he did two years ago when I saw them.

I thought they were good live but I am not interested enough to purchase an album, etc.  

But again....they are like 19, 20, 21
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

You've said over and over how much you hate the comparisons to LZ, so do you really think you are listening objectively?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited January 2019
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

You've said over and over how much you hate the comparisons to LZ, so do you really think you are listening objectively?
    Actually yes. I sincerely gave them a chance before all those comparisons became a thing, like literally when they released their first single - it landed in my Discover Weekly list ages ago and I heard their name somewhere and gave them a listen. It didn't even occur to me that they sounded like LZ when I first listened and disliked them, and that after that I started seeing all the dumb comparisons, and it made me hate them instead of just being like, "Oh, that band's not for me - no feelings in it for me."
    I would NEVER "will myself" to dislike music. Ever. I like what I like, in complete honesty.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I love Led Zep's cover of Heartbreaker. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Adam Sandler should do a parody of this singer lol ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Be cool like everyone else and rip on these dudes for making a living...
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I read yesterday that they want to put out another album by the end of the year.   I think that's pretty awesome.  Given that albums don't really sell anymore, many newer bands are much fewer and farther between with their releases.  You need albums, to have more songs to play, to play longer sets, and have better shows.
    Ames Bros. LOL
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I am digging their new song "You're the one"
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Grammy winners Best Rock Album...discuss.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Good for them. Can't think of anyone else who should have won this year. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dudeman said:
    Good for them. Can't think of anyone else who should have won this year. 
    Agreed. Quite an accomplishment for them really.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    FrankY59 said:
    Insuring it means less than it ever did.
  • DewieCox said:
    FrankY59 said:
    Insuring it means less than it ever did.
    Hahah
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I think it's great that they won.  As much as I love AiC and going to the new shows, I have a hard time getting into the new studio albums.  I've listened to Greta Van Fleet a lot more than the new AiC albums. 

FrankY59 said:
    Creed has a Grammy, too.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    FrankY59 said:
    should have been AIC....great album
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    RP112579 said:
    Ames Bros. LOL
    that's just me - and me ripping on their business practices - LOL - P.S. I hate everyone too ;)
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Oh, look, not much has changed. The Grammy's still mean pretty much nothing.

Soooo, GVF 1 > Led Zeppelin 0....hahahaha!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I'm glad a few people are listening to rock out there in the world these days, but GVF makes me cringe. 
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
    edited February 2019
    FrankY59 said:
    I think their album sucks, but I don't care about any of the other albums that were nominated either, so I don't give a shit. I'm really glad they didn't beat an actual good album. That would piss me off a bit. What is the time frame for those shitty album nominees btw???