Barrett Martin's book "The Singing Earth" Includes CD w/ Mad Season's Ascension

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
     Hi Folks, there are still a few 1st edition signed copies of my new book, The Singing Earth, which also comes with a 26 song global soundtrack and 5 of the re-issued BMG albums. Get them now while they still exist! And thank you to everyone who bought the 1st edition of the book, which has allowed for us to print the 2nd edition, coming in February! Get the book and CDs on my new website at: www.BarrettMartin.com/books Thank You! -Barrett

Hey folks, the 2nd edition of my book "The Singing Earth" just arrived yesterday (!), and this new edition comes with a digital download of an expanded 44 song soundtrack. Its twice as much music as the 1st edition and it contains songs, field recordings, and spoken word stories from all over the world. Also, because we have a surplus of CDs here at the studio, if you're in the Unites States we are offering an additional special deal where you get a signed copy of the book, plus all 6 of the Barrett Martin Group CDs (including our newest CD "Transcendence") plus 5 of the Tuatara CDs (my previous band). So that's a signed book with 11 CDs all for $50. Foreign orders get the book and all 6 BMG CDs. These specials are only available at https://barrettmartin.com/thesingingearth/
    Thank you for reading and listening! -B

Yes...hmmmmm...yes...it appears that all the grammatical mistakes and punctuation errors have been corrected in the just-released 2nd edition of “The Singing Earth: Adventures From A World Of Music”! Now with an expanded 44 song digital soundtrack that comes inside the book. Get a signed copy and bonus CDs on my website link in the bio, or hit the shop button on this FB page. It’s also at Barnes & Noble and your local bookstore if you’re into book stores (as I am). Get it while it's literally hot off the press! -Barrett

• treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    IM going to check this out

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    edited May 2018
    so what are the extra songs on the new 'expanded' version? anything mad season or tuatara, specifically?
    Over on Facebook 3 hours ago ...

Hey Folks, I recently got a large box from Columbia Records and in it were about 50 Mad Season T-Shirts from the "Above Deluxe" reissue campaign. They've been sitting in somebody's office in New York for years, and they finally decided to get rid of them. They are cotton, size medium and large only. And although I'm definitely not getting into the T-Shirt business (!), I do want to give these away. So I'm going to give a free Mad Season T-Shirt to anyone who buys one of my signed book/CD combo packages in the Shop Now button on this FB page. It has to be a book/CD combo because a T-shirt won't fit in the single book package. Just specify in the notes whether you want a medium or large T-Shirt and we'll get it shipped out right away. This is only while quantities last! By the way, the 2nd edition of "The Singing Earth" looks fantastic, it comes with an expanded 44 song soundtrack, and it is finally available at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and your local record shop or book store. So wherever you get it, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Thank you all for buying so many copies that it even went into a 2nd edition! Much love, Barrett

This is the latest book/CD/LP bundle from my label, Sunyata Records & Books (for US residents only because of the weight). There are only 20 of these bundles available, and this time we’ve cleared out the old inventory so we’re giving away a bunch of Barrett Martin Group and Tuatara CDs to go along with my book, "The Singing Earth", as well as the final Screaming Trees album “Last Words." This LP is from 2011 and is on limited edition red clear vinyl. You also get 3 of the CeDell Davis delta blues CDs (featuring myself, Mike McCready, Jimbo Mathus, Greg Binns, and many others). There are only 20 of these bundles available, but you get everything you see in this photo: the book, 13 CDs, and the Screaming Trees LP, all for $50 (again, for US residents only because of the shipping weight). Order now through my website or the Shop Now button on this page and we’ll get this sent right out to you. Happy Summer!
    Barrett
    https://barrettmartin.com/thesingingearth/

@ Barrett Martin

Only 4 of these bundles left from Sunyata Records! You get a red vinyl Screaming Trees "Last Words" LP, a signed copy of my book "The Singing Earth", all 6 Barrett Martin Group CDs, and a combination of 6 Tuatara and CeDell Davis CDs. We'll be doing more bundles throughout the summer as we clear out our storage space, but this is it for the Screaming Trees vinyl. Order it through the Shop Now button on this page and click on "Option 1 for US Residents." Thank you!

I am pleased to announce that pre-orders have officially begun for my next book, "Songs Of The Firebird: Stories of Initiation, Perseverance, & Wisdom.” The book also comes with the new Barrett Martin Group album of the same name, which is a 20 song double album of modern instrumental compositions. Order now in the Shop Now button or from my website link and you’ll get a personalized, signed copy of the book and CD mailed to you in early April.
    The book is a collection of 35 short stories based on my life experiences around the world and focus on 7 themes, those being: Spiritual Practice, Character Building, Musical Adventures, Political Action, Environmental Action, Wisdom Stories From Elders, and the essential qualities of the great human Soul.
    It was a massive undertaking to write a book and make an album at the same time, but it all finally came together. In addition to all this, I will be releasing 2 videos per week here on social media that show the rhythms we played on the album, as well as short excerpts from the book’s stories. I’m calling it “Words & Rhythms” so keep an eye for these videos every few days.
    Thanks again to everyone for your amazing support on my last book, The Singing Earth, and I promise more of the same with “Songs Of The Firebird.”
    Much love to everyone,
    Barrett
    http://barrettmartin.com/books/

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

One week from tonight on Saturday June 1st, the Barrett Martin Group plays The Royal Room in Seattle as we celebrate the release of our new double album, "Songs Of The Firebird" and my new book, "The Way Of The Zen Cowboy." I'll be telling some stories from the book in the first set, and the BMG will play a very long set of brand new music. See you there! -B

• treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    This sounds really neat

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19

Hey Folks,
    I have a new, very different kind of album coming out on November 29th (Record Store Day). It’s titled “Indwell”, and it’s a collection of 25 compositions that are more percussion and ambient oriented. The CD is 80 minutes long and was sequenced by the well-known yogini Kendra Rickert from the Nirguna Yoga Center in Albuquerque, NM. It’s the first time I've let another person sequence one of my albums and this is because Kendra designed it specifically to go with a yoga practice or even a martial art, like Hsing Yi, Pa Kua, Tai Chi, or Qi Gong. I’ve practiced Hsing Yi and Pa Kua (Kung Fu) for about 25 years and my wife is also a black belt and yogini. This album provides a soundtrack for these workouts, which is part of my philosophy of “music mixed with everyday life.” Because music is not just a form of entertainment - it permeates our lives at a cellular level. “Indwell" stands on it’s own as a great workout album, but you might also find it useful for other parts of your life.
    As a special offer, we are giving away a free, signed copy of the “Indwell" CD with ANY purchase from the Barrett Martin or Sunyata Records webstore. Even if you buy just one CD or a book, you’ll get a free signed copy of “Indwell” included.
    Additionally, if you buy the full set of 2 books and 7 CDs, you’ll get a free copy of “Indwell” AND a signed, well-used drumstick from some recent recording sessions I just did.
    www.BarrettMartin.com/Store
    www.SunyataRecords.com/Store
    Thank you to everyone, all of us at Sunyata Records and the Barrett Martin Group wish you great health, and a happy start to the holiday season!
    Love to everyone, Barrett

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to say a couple things about the situation we’re all in, and then a little about my first audiobook, which I am making available for free (more on that in a moment).

First, I’m thinking about all the front line folks in this pandemic, like my close friend Ben Dennis, a Seattle fireman and paramedic, as well as some of my other friends who are doctors and nurses around the country. They, like so many other fire, medical, police, and grocery store folks (!) are out there helping sick people, no matter the consequences. The sad thing is that many of them have to self-quarantine when they get off their shifts, so they don’t spread it to anyone. That’s a very hard and lonely way to live, pretty much the true definition of a hero by my standards, so let’s all reach out and say thank you to them personally, especially if you know people with those jobs. Just reach out and send them a text, an email, or a call. Tell them you love them.

Second, I am happy to announce the release of the audiobook for “The Way Of The Zen Cowboy,” which is me telling 35 spoken-word stories, as well as a few wisdom tales from Indigenous people that I picked up around the world. It also comes with a 20 song double album, “Songs Of The Firebird”, which is the music I had envisioned as the soundtrack for the stories.

Because we’re all couped up, I have made it available for free in all public libraries, and I think you just have to contact your local library and request the download. For those who have audiobook memberships, it should be showing up around the world on all the audiobook websites, so you automatically get it with your subscription. This is the full artistic vision I had for these spoken-word stories, combined with a soundtrack, so I’m really proud to make it finally available to everyone. A special thank you to super-engineers Brad Laina, who edited and mixed the audiobook, and Jack Endino who mixed the music - it sounds amazing!

Anyway, that’s what I can offer you right now - 10 hours of me rambling on about life, music, and this great big beautiful world we all share. I hope we all get to experience that world again soon.

As always, I send love to everyone, and I hope that you, like me, can find happiness in the small things, the small gestures.

Love,
    Barrett

Sunyata Books is proud to present the debut book from experimental psychologist and Buddhist scholar, Dr. Lisette Garcia. "Poderosas: Conversations With Extraordinary, Ordinary Women" takes the reader along with Dr. Garcia and her husband, Barrett Martin, as they travel between the Peruvian Amazon Rainforest, the Alaskan Arctic, and everywhere in between.
    During the journey, Dr. Garcia interviews 12 extraordinary women: a Latina pediatrician, a Cherokee healer, two Shipibo Shamans in the Peruvian Amazon, a feminist anthropologist, an Alaskan Tlingit musicologist, a Zen master, an African American dancer, a human rights activist, and others. Along the way, the reader gets a glimpse into the incredible work of these women, written in a question and answer style that is more akin to sitting around the kitchen table and having a casual conversation about life's most important questions.
    Order now in the link below and receive a signed, personalized book from Dr. Garcia, as well as the latest CD from the Barrett Martin Group, "Scattered Diamonds." The book and free CD are only $15.00 plus shipping. The global release date is Friday, November 20th, and thank you from all of us at Sunyata Books. Happy Holidays!
    Get a signed, personalized copy of "Poderosas" and receive a free CD of "Scattered Diamonds" from the Barrett Martin Group
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited November 2020
    so I have both of barrett's books and it since I bought it on amazon it came with a download of that 20 song Songs of the Firebird. Can't wait to dive into these. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    US only atm
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

US only atm

Hopefully they will add International.
    Hey Folks, I was in the studio today laying down some drum tracks, and the book proofs for "The Greatest Band That Ever Wasn't: The Story Of The Screaming Trees" finally arrived. The hardback and paperback look fantastic! So if you ordered a signed paperback from my website, you should be getting them right around the beginning of November (November 3rd is the worldwide release date). Hardback, Ebook/Kindle, and Audiobook (narrated by me) will be available through Amazon/Audible, Barnes & Noble, or you can always order it through your local bookstore, which is the coolest way to support small business. If you want a signed paperback from me, my website is the only way to get them in the United States, unless you're at one of my shows this November and December. We received a huge number of preorders but we still have enough left over from the first printing, so you can still order signed copies at:
    Thank you!
    B

This is me with Skerik, the saxophone virtuoso from Seattle. We first played together in 1995 on Mad Season’s “Above" album, and again on the Mad Season "Live At The Moore Theater" film and live album, and then again in 2015 at the Mad Season tribute with Chris Cornell and Duff McKagan. In between those almost 30 years, Skerik and I have worked on a lot of other albums together. This photo was taken yesterday at Avast Studios (formerly known as Ironwood Studios) in Seattle where we found out that our session is the very last session before the studio closes for good - it's been open since the 1970s. This studio is where Mad Season recorded basic tracks for our 2nd, unreleased album (Skerik was there for that too), as well as where we recorded the first of several Tuatara albums, which featured Skerik, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam, Mad Season) and Peter Buck (R.E.M.). The 2nd photo is me and Jack Endino, producer of Nirvana, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees and a thousand other bands, as we work on the hand-built British Trident A-Range console in the studio, of which there are only about 10 in the world. It has now been sold, but countless albums were made through it's warm, fuzzy channels. The third photo is me recording the final overdub before the studio closes: Brazilian shakers on a new Nando Reis song. Well grandchildren, those were the golden days of old school, analog recording and this is the very last session at Avast, Studio A! 
    Photos by Stu Hallerman.
    Love, Barrett
    demetrios said:
    US only atm

Hopefully they will add International.
    This book needs to make its way to Waterstones in the UK :prayer: