MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Moneyball at its finest.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I saw a post on twitter last night from a guy I follow who digs up crazy stats.  The premise was the player with the most career home runs without hitting __ in a season.

50 - Hank Aaaron (755, career high 47)
    40 - Eddie Murray (504, career high 33)
    30 - Al Kaline (399, career high 29)
    20 - Ron Fairly (215, career high 19)
    10 - Brad Ausmus (80, career high 9)

I saw someone commented on the Aaron stat about how it was amazing because he was so consistent.  And it made me wonder why no one ever says the same thing about Barry Bonds.  People automatically just dismiss Bonds and roll with the "but juice" excuse.  Bonds wasn't jacking 50-60 HR a year.  Aside from the ONE season he hit 73, his career high was 49 and he only did that once.  In a 22 year career, Bonds only eclipsed 40 HR in a season 8 times.  But no one ever talks about his consistency like they do Aaron's.  It's always "but juice."  It's a damn shame he isn't a unanimous Hall of Famer.
  • Poncier said:
    Moneyball at its finest.
    The A's play moneyball the best.  It appears the Yanks are following suit.

I have said before that the Yanks are relying heavily on analytics now and the reason for their manager now is because he is on that same train.

If you rely on WAR though Machado is below superstar numbers.  All-star caliber numbers or better is a 4.0 and higher.  He has been below the last 2 years.

Take that for what it is worth but I'd like to have him on my team.

Same goes for Harper.  He was a 10 WAR his MVP year and has only maintained a 3 WAR since then.

If you take WAR as a good indicator then both guys are trending down.

Just an example if WAR isn't your thing, Trout is regarded as the best baseball player every year.  His WAR has never been below 6.7 and has had it at 10.5 3 times already.

Another example is Mookie Betts.  Dude was lights out last year.  His WAR was 10.9.  That's insane...

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Poncier said:
    Moneyball at its finest.

I have said before that the Yanks are relying heavily on analytics now and the reason for their manager now is because he is on that same train.

If you rely on WAR though Machado is below superstar numbers.  All-star caliber numbers or better is a 4.0 and higher.  He has been below the last 2 years.

Same goes for Harper.  He was a 10 WAR his MVP year and has only maintained a 3 WAR since then.

Just an example if WAR isn't your thing, Trout is regarded as the best baseball player every year.  His WAR has never been below 6.7 and has had it at 10.5 3 times already.

Another example is Mookie Betts.  Dude was lights out last year.  His WAR was 10.9.  That's insane...

Manny had 1 bad year in the last 4.  Everything else was around 6, depending on which one you use.
  • Poncier said:
    Moneyball at its finest.

Manny had 1 bad year in the last 4.  Everything else was around 6, depending on which one you use.
    just saw that.  his war adds up to a 5.7 for last year.  Again, I said I would take him in a heart beat.  I figured that was the rationale thinking from the Yanks but now I'm not sure what it is?!?

Harper though I still wonder about him.  Not sure if the shift is killing his average or he is just falling off?
    Poncier said:
    Moneyball at its finest.

So the Yanks are looking for a long sustained period of zero championships like the A's have had, I like it.
  • Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Moneyball at its finest.

So the Yanks are looking for a long sustained period of zero championships like the A's have had, I like it.
    Moneyball and analytics are 100% part of the game.  That is never going away now.
    Oh analytics are a fine tool, until you allow them to persuade you to use an "opener" in a single elimination wild card game cause your Moneyball philosophy has left you without a capable starting pitcher entering the post season.
    Can't go all in on these things, have to have a blend.
  • Poncier said:
    Oh analytics are a fine tool, until you allow them to persuade you to use an "opener" in a single elimination wild card game cause your Moneyball philosophy has left you without a capable starting pitcher entering the post season.
    Can't go all in on these things, have to have a blend.
    Agreed.

I have always had an idea though of using a different pitcher every inning like an all-star game.  My family thought I was nuts.  I watch the playoffs now and say "nuts huh?"
    I like analytics as a scouting tool, an element of contract signings/negotiations, and as a single element of in-game decision making.  They are a great part of the game for those purposes. I don't like when managers rely solely on analytics as the end all, be all of in-game moves.  At that point, why even have a manager? Just put a computer in the dugout and do whatever it says if you're just going to follow analytics for every single move.
    I absolutely despise when people use analytics (namely WAR & all it's different subtypes r/f/d/oWAR etc) as the reason/defense of why a player should or shouldn't get an award, HOF vote, etc.
  • I like analytics as a scouting tool, an element of contract signings/negotiations, and as a single element of in-game decision making.  They are a great part of the game for those purposes. I don't like when managers rely solely on analytics as the end all, be all of in-game moves.  At that point, why even have a manager? Just put a computer in the dugout and do whatever it says if you're just going to follow analytics for every single move.
    I absolutely despise when people use analytics (namely WAR & all it's different subtypes r/f/d/oWAR etc) as the reason/defense of why a player should or shouldn't get an award, HOF vote, etc.
    WAR should never determine an award, ever.

I do use it as a tool to show what a person means to a team though.

Look at Betts.  I knew he was a beast all year and never looked at his WAR because I knew he was killing it.  At the end of the year when he won the MVP though you knew why with his numbers alone and didn't need to look at his WAR to know it.
    I like analytics as a scouting tool, an element of contract signings/negotiations, and as a single element of in-game decision making.  They are a great part of the game for those purposes. I don't like when managers rely solely on analytics as the end all, be all of in-game moves.  At that point, why even have a manager? Just put a computer in the dugout and do whatever it says if you're just going to follow analytics for every single move.
    WAR should never determine an award, ever.

I do use it as a tool to show what a person means to a team though.

Look at Betts.  I knew he was a beast all year and never looked at his WAR because I knew he was killing it.  At the end of the year when he won the MVP though you knew why with his numbers alone and didn't need to look at his WAR to know it.
    My thoughts exactly!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

I saw someone commented on the Aaron stat about how it was amazing because he was so consistent.  And it made me wonder why no one ever says the same thing about Barry Bonds.  People automatically just dismiss Bonds and roll with the "but juice" excuse.  Bonds wasn't jacking 50-60 HR a year.  Aside from the ONE season he hit 73, his career high was 49 and he only did that once.  In a 22 year career, Bonds only eclipsed 40 HR in a season 8 times.  But no one ever talks about his consistency like they do Aaron's.  It's always "but juice."  It's a damn shame he isn't a unanimous Hall of Famer.

Bonds might STILL be playing if he hadn’t been such an asshole. Pretty sure he would have gotten to 800 HR in one or two more years. OBP was .480 in his final year.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Yeah, he'd be playing at age 54. :rofl:
  • Wobbie said:

Bonds might STILL be playing if he hadn’t been such an asshole. Pretty sure he would have gotten to 800 HR in one or two more years. OBP was .480 in his final year.
    Walked 200 times with almost 200 hits, hell yeah!
    Poncier said:
    Yeah, he'd be playing at age 54. :rofl:

I wouldn’t put it past the guy.....at least as a DH.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141

I miss igotid88
    these MLB’ers bitchin because Bryce and manny can’t get a $300m contact....STFU

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88 said:

Glad to see Clemens and Bonds getting some love.

Sad to see Rivera getting 100% when Griffey Jr, Cal Jr, Maddux not getting it...
    well, jr. may have juiced, cal extended a streak for his own devices and maddux... well, maddux, I hate the dude but he’s a HOFer

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Schilling ahead of Clemens & Bonds. I think we need to drug test the writers.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Schilling ahead of Clemens & Bonds. I think we need to drug test the writers.
    Absolutely 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    igotid88 said:

find out tomorrow who gets in
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Love that the Reds are active, love the idea of getting Gray, not sure what their strategy is overall and am interested to see how it plays out . 
    If their division wasn't so tough I think they could contend.  Will take top seasons from their SPs to allow for that, but pretty much anything is better than sucking.  Glad for the guys who suffered through the last few years that they can be competitive again for a bit.
    (And signing Harper would be ok.  :lol: )
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Edgar Martinez, Roy Halladay, Mike Mussina, and Mariano Rivera
    I miss igotid88
    Mariano 100%
    I miss igotid88
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    igotid88 said:
    Mariano 100%
    Congrats! Well deserved as are the others.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Bonds - career WAR 163

Martinez 68, while playing half the game.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    igotid88 said:
    Mariano 100%
    while it's fully deserved it's a bit strange that for years the writers were against anyone being unanimous and they chose a reliever to be the 1st unanimous one.

Personally I don't think Mussina is a Hall of Famer.  Really good pitcher but don't think he was ever top enough to be in the Hall.  Just my opinion.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    pjhawks said:
    igotid88 said:
    Mariano 100%
    while it's fully deserved it's a bit strange that for years the writers were against anyone being unanimous and they chose a reliever to be the 1st unanimous one.

Personally I don't think Mussina is a Hall of Famer.  Really good pitcher but don't think he was ever top enough to be in the Hall.  Just my opinion.
    Halladay was clearly more dominant, but there is something to be said for the longevity and numbers Moose put up.  Halladay was clearly more dominant in his prime, but if Halladay had to play another 120 games, he wouldn't have Mussina's numbers.   I think they are both extremely borderline but not sure how you can pick one over the other.  It's a good argument.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mussimi01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hallaro01.shtml