Another Seattle Visitor Thread

We are taking an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle 8/20-27. Was trying to search previous threads to not make a new one, but I have just two questions:

1) The hotel we booked is comfort inn and suites, 13700 aurora ave n. Any issues with this location?

2) Will arriving in Seattle on 8/17 give us enough time to do all on the below list?

Mountain climbing (I think there is a cruise excursion for this)
Twin peaks tour
Easy street records (not necessary)
Space needle (not necessary)
The Sound Garden 
Wharf/pier
Brandon Lee gravesite
Discovery Park & Lighthouse
Stalking Seattle tour
Pike Place
EMP/MoPOP (if they still have the PJ exhibit then)
Maybe DMB at the Gorge after the cruise, assuming they play there this year, but then we have extra days, so would move the Seattle stuff to said extra days.

Thanks much!

Comments

• jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Just a suggestion..when going to Brandon and Bruce lees grace walk over to the park and see the black sun sculpture :-). Have a great time!  I think you get get a lot if not all of that done in 3 days.
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Thanks! The sculpture is part of the Stalking Seattle tour. I wonder if there would be time during the tour to visit the graves as well?
  • BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    Stalking Seattle leaves from MoPop so you can do both the same day. I'd recommend it even if PJ exhibit is closed. Space Needle is right across the street too. We spent less than an hour at the space needle so maybe all three can happen together.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,679
    Stalking Seattle was a great trip.

The duck fairy tour was sweet too that back in 2016.

Check out London Bridge Studios https://www.londonbridgestudiotour.com . The new display in the main lobby has changed since my last visit back in 2013. 

Love the Pike Place Market. 
  • the line up is usually long. go when it opens and $40 for the bubble hash is not a rip off, at all
    https://haveaheartcc.com/dispensaries/wa/belltown/
    Thank you, everyone. What about the hotel location? Any issues with that part of town?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    That part of town is fine. It isn't a beautiful part of town, and there's nothing special about it. It is not downtown, and is north of everything you want to do. That would be my only "issue". If you wanted to walk around using the hotel as a base, this isn't the place. If you have a rental car, then it is a fairly quick trip into the city.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    @jeffbr Thanks for your response re: hotel location. Sorry for the late reply as I usually only check this site at work. What part of town would you recommend? Nothing fancy since we're there just to sleep. As long as it includes a breakfast and in a quiet/safe part of town is all I care about. I haven't looked into getting around yet, but walking as much as possible would be ideal.

Thanks much!
  • jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Thanks! The sculpture is part of the Stalking Seattle tour. I wonder if there would be time during the tour to visit the graves as well?
    Oh very cool.  I’ve never heard of that tour.  The park is very beautiful, my husband and i stayed there for the afternoon and had a nice picnic :-). Have a wonderful time, i love Seattle!  
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    @disilluzion, I would probably recommend checking out places nearer Seattle Center and the Queen Anne neighborhood of Seattle. Is is just north of the downtown area, so a bit less expensive than being right downtown, but you can walk to the MoPOP, Space Needle, a little high down to parks and the waterfront, Pike Place Mkt, etc... So you won't need to jump in a car for a chunk of your activities. Plus you'd be surrounded by places to eat and drink and potentially catch a show or two (easy walk to the Crocodile Cafe, Moore Theater and not a bad walk to downtown (as well as a lot of transit options). I believe there is a member here (or was) who worked at or managed a hotel right near Seattle Center and might have info on rates. There are some relatively inexpensive options to consider there, depending on budget.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • ham_on_ryeham_on_rye Indiana Dunes Posts: 205
    Don't forget Airbnb. My husband and I are going to Seattle first week of February and got a 1 bedroom apartment 1 mile from the Space Needle for 132 a night. 
    @jeffbr Thanks for the info, I passed it on to the wife who makes all the decisions. :)
    Okay, the DMB Gorge tickets are still processing, but my card has been charged. So we will probably fly in on the 19th, cruise 20-27, spend 3 days in Seattle before heading out to the Gorge on the 30th and flying back Monday.

Just found out there is an Evil Dead escape room opening this summer, so that's a must.

I also thought that there were mountain hiking excursions on the cruise, but can only find glacier hikes. Can anyone recommend a beginner mountain in the Seattle area? And I do mean beginner, as there are no mountains in MN, thanks! 
  • Rattlesnake ledges in North Bend, WA. You could do it on the same day of your Twin Peaks tour.
    The hike is about 2.5 miles round trip, gets very crowded in the Summer though, just a heads up.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    Thanks! Would it be less crowded if we went at sunrise, or does time of day not matter much?
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i was in seattle for one week. i went to mopop and quite honestly i was not that impressed. there are so many great places to go. i went to every neighborhood and all offered something. went to sams sushi bar in ballard. was great. not ridiculous prices at all . sams sister looked after us. have her order for you. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    edited February 2019
    I was in Seattle for the Home shows in August, 1st time visitor.  I did the Twin Peaks trip (not a tour).  You indicated two things as not necessary that I believe should be, the Space Needle (that's like visiting Philly and not seeing the Liberty Bell, or the Rocky statue); Easy Street Records, too much history with the band not to go.  We went there but had a time restraint, I definitely could have spent more time there.  Whatever you do, have a great trip.  
    Post edited by PureandEasy on
  • Thanks! Would it be less crowded if we went at sunrise, or does time of day not matter much?
    Sunrise would be less crowded, but not sparse by any means. Going Monday through Thursday would also cut back on the crowds.
    I think the best option would be to hit up Rattlesnake Ridge Friday at sunrise, then we can do all the Twin Peaks spots ourselves since I'm sure all the locations are published online. We're already heading that direction on the way to the Gorge.

If I did pay for the Twin Peaks tour, then I would do it a different day, since they pickup/drop-off in Seattle. Then still hit up Rattlesnake Ridge Friday before leaving town, maybe Franklin Falls on the way as well? I'm just worried there wouldn't be enough time for Rattlesnake Ridge, Twin Peaks and make it to the Gorge in time, all on the Friday. 

I'd rather leave the hiking west of the Cascades, as I hear there are quite a few rattlesnakes in the summer east of there. Something of which I have no experience with living in the Midwest. 
  • Cool, make sure you check out which hikes need permit passes if your going to branch beyond rattlesnake.
    Franklin requires one, rattlesnake doesnt.
    Thanks for the tip re: passes. Not sure I would have thought of that.