Options

Series of studio cover 45s á la the Melvins

bigjilmbigjilm Sea Posts: 184
edited January 2019 in The Porch
With the annual single being discontinued I know this is just a pipe dream, but I would love to see Pearl Jam release some 45s of the studio covers they've done or maybe even record some new ones.  The Melvins Sabbath 10" I bought this week showed up last night which I'm sure is why I thought about it.  Black Sabbath on the A side and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath on the B.  While the Melvins do this kinda thing often, and usually extremely limited, they also put out a new release every year or so and tour constantly.  They're definitely much more active as band than Pearl Jam is these days, so I'm sure much easier for them to do especially as often as they do.  And I'm not suggesting Pearl Jam limit them quite like the Melvins (sometimes as few as 100), but limit them somewhat so they don't clog up the warehouse like some of the last reissued 45s.  

Obviously a couple of them are already on a 7" (Sonic Reducer and Love Reign O'er Me are the first that come to mind) but they've covered A TON of songs live that I would love to hear studio versions of. I wouldn't know what any of this would cost or if it would even be cost effective at all, but I know that's the kind of merch I'd prefer to buy.  Socks and stickers and flags and posters and zippos are all cool, but the music is what I'm in it for.  And I've always loved hearing bands do covers of their influences.  Opens up the rabbit hole.
Post edited by bigjilm on

Comments

• Options
    my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 339
    edited January 2019
    this would be awesome, but unlikely since they've discontinued the singles, but maybe a full vinyl album release of covers for record store day like what the foo fighters and deftones did... the only studio cover i know they haven't released, except as a promo, is i've got a feeling, and i think ed did a studio version of gimme some truth, aside from that i don't know of any unrealeased studio covers, but who knows what they have in the vaults... they definitely have enough studio covers that have already been released to put on an album...
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    my_wave said:
    this would be awesome, but unlikely since they've discontinued the singles, but maybe a full vinyl album release of covers for record store day like what the foo fighters and deftones did... the only studio cover i know they haven't released, except as a promo, is i've got a feeling, and i think ed did a studio version of gimme some truth, aside from that i don't know of any unrealeased studio covers, but who knows what they have in the vaults... they definitely have enough studio covers that have already been released to put on an album...
    I've got a feeling has actually been released in the japanese Ten CD version, look it up, it's easy to find.
  • Options
    my_wave said:
    I've got a feeling has actually been released in the japanese Ten CD version, look it up, it's easy to find.
    While that is true, I don't believe it has been released on vinyl which is the point of my post.  I know it's far from reality this would ever happen. I just thought it was a cool idea.

I have that Deftones record and have heard snippets of the Foo's and while they're pretty cool, I'd still like to see the 7" thing happen.  That way you don't have to wait until you have 10-12 songs recorded for a full album.  Got 2 ready to go?  Press 'em up!  Got another 2 ready?  Press 'em and delay the release date by a month.

Just wishful thinking.
  • Options
    my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 339
    my_wave said:
    well, technically it's on there as a question mark, but i forgot about it when i was posting this, thanks for the reminder!
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Options
    When I saw Lets Play Two in Theatre, afterwards I raaaaaan to the Tram to get to this place where Melvins played the same night. Not a superfan of the band or the show. But their tour poster was KISS themed, and when I entered the concert hall their opening band Red Kross was playing - and the song I entered to was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUf5R1nckS8

Everything turns into KISS. Weather you like it or not.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Haha, nice. I actually have a 7" of the Melvin's covering Detroit Rock City with the B side an acappella Star Spangled Banner.  They rock DRC!  Then again, I'm a Melvins fan.
  • Options
    bigjilm said:
    Haha, nice. I actually have a 7" of the Melvin's covering Detroit Rock City with the B side an acappella Star Spangled Banner.  They rock DRC!  Then again, I'm a Melvins fan.
    Boring song though, boring song to cover if you want to cover KISS.

Dvelve into the 80s stuff instead of picking the obvious choices from ALIVE! or ALiVE II.

But still cool.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The "unmasked years"? Maybe Heaven's On Fire or Lick It Up? 😂 If I'm listening to KISS it's usually pre-80's, but that's just me.
  • Options
    bigjilm said:
    The "unmasked years"? Maybe Heaven's On Fire or Lick It Up? 😂 If I'm listening to KISS it's usually pre-80's, but that's just me.
    You have a bunch of great songs on both the album Unmasked and on Creatures of the Night. If we're talking post-makeup you have some cool songs here and there, Heavens on fire and Lick it Up not being two of them.
  • Options
    I'm sure there are some good songs on those records,. I was just messing with you a bit.