Pegi Young has passed away

goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
edited January 2019 in Other Music
“With great sadness, we confirm that on January 1st, after a yearlong battle with cancer, Pegi Young - mother, grandmother, sister, auntie, musician, activist and co-founder of the Bridge School - passed away surrounded by her friends and family in her native California. We request that the families' privacy be respected at this time.”

Such sad, sad news. RIP Pegi
“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)
Post edited by goldrush on
Tagged:

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    edited January 2019

Pegi Young, the singer-songwriter who was married to Neil Young for 36 years, died Tuesday after a yearlong battle with cancer. She was 66. “[She] passed away surrounded by her friends and family in her native California,” reads a short statement on her official Instagram account. “We request that the families’ privacy be respected at this time.”

Young was working as a waitress at a diner near Neil Young’s ranch when they met in the mid-Seventies. “Never saw a woman look finer,” Neil Young wrote in his 1992 classic song “Unknown Legend,” one of several songs about their love that also include “Harvest Moon” and “Such an Angel.” “I used to order just to watch her float across the floor.”

In the early years of their marriage, Young devoted herself nearly full-time to raising their daughter Amber and son Ben, the latter born with cerebral palsy. But in 1994, she began singing background vocals for her husband, starting at the Academy Awards when she joined him on “Philadelphia.” Six years later, she hit the road with him on the Friends and Relatives tour and became a mainstay in his band over the next decade. “When I started touring with him, I get treated pretty much like any other band member,” she told Songfacts in 2011. “He certainly doesn’t cut me any more slack than anybody else. If he wants to hear something a certain way, he’s the clear boss, leader of the band.”

In 2007, Young recorded her self-titled debut LP with keyboardist Spooner Oldham, guitarist Anthony Crawford, bassist Rick Rosas and pedal steel guitarist Ben Keith. She went on to record four more albums and tour extensively. “I think it’s somewhat of a natural progression,” she told the Boston Herald in 2010. “I was writing and singing and playing a bit in my own fashion when I was younger, before Neil and I got together [in 1974]. It was a return to a longtime love of mine. I think it is up to me to do the best job I can do. I don’t take it casually. I’m not the next young hot thing.”

In addition to her music career, Young devoted much of her time and energy to the Bridge School. She founded the esteemed institution in 1986 to help kids like Ben that have severe speech and physical impairments. The annual Bridge School Benefit in Mountain View, California continually attracts A-level talent and helps raise money for the school. David Bowiethe Who and a Temple of the Dog reunion have all highlighted the annual event.

“It was my idea to have Bruce Springsteen play that first year,” Pegi told Rolling Stone in 2010. “He was just coming off a three-year rock and roll tour with Born in the USA and I thought that if he was anything like me, he’ll want to do something completely the opposite now. We’ve been so blessed over the years with artists donating their time. Looking back at that first year, it seems like an exercise in simplicity compared to what it is these days.”

In 2014, Neil Young filed for divorce from Pegi. “We were having a rough patch,” Pegi told Rolling Stone. “But I never would’ve thought in a million years we would be getting divorced. So, yeah, there was a bit of a shock value there.” She poured her heartbreak into the songs on her last LP, 2016’s Raw. “It told a story,” she said. “I kind of look at it as a soundtrack to the seven stages of grief. You’ve got anger, then shock and disbelief. As we go through the album, the later songs show my growth and … I can’t say total acceptance, but I think the last song, that wonderful Don Henley song [“The Heart of the Matter”], talks about forgiveness. That’s really where it’s at, you know?”

She wanted the album to convey to others going through a similar situation that they are not alone. “We go through things we may not’ve expected, what we thought was maybe our future,” she said. “But even if we get the shock of our lifetime, life goes on. You figure out who you are again, and you just keep going on. I’m a living persona of that.”

(Tim Rogers)
    The ‘Song of the Day’ on the Neil Young Archives site is Harvest Moon...

(Tim Rogers)
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    So very saddened by this news. I hope she really did have time to enjoy being on her own. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Terribly sad news.
    R.I.P. to a very fine lady, Pegi Young.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Great photo from one of the Bridge School shows

(Tim Rogers)
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    RIP ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • RIP! 

Gonna delve into her own solo work. Only listened to one of her earlier albums, and the last one about Neil.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I've had this one in my head all day today

https://youtu.be/40YzTpxrdZQ

(Tim Rogers)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    May she Rest In Peace. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
      I've just listened to a few songs from Raw, and it is amazing how there is not a trace of bitterness. And even if I happen across a song that is bitter, I'll know that it was a fleeting feeling. How did she do that? I am in awe of this woman. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    R.i.P , sad to read this news i only attended one BSB but it was so beautiful just to be there with all the goodness of such great artist giving their all !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I was watching some of the videos I took at Neil’s 2009 Isle of Wight and Hyde Park shows this afternoon. They are 2 of my favourite Neil shows that I’ve seen - granted I haven’t been to that many, but his band was amazing.

It’s sad to think that half of the people in this photo are no longer with us...

(Tim Rogers)
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    goldrush said:
    I've had this one in my head all day today

https://youtu.be/40YzTpxrdZQ
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • RIP Pegi Young.
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    Too sad 
    There’s a tribute on the Neil Young Archives page today

(Tim Rogers)
  • :(
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrush said:
    There’s a tribute on the Neil Young Archives page today

Beautifull
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

edited January 2019

Nils also commented on a tweet from Jambase that included a video from the 2016 Bridge School

https://youtu.be/i9FGVRpheWc

(Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:

Nils also commented on a tweet from Jambase that included a video from the 2016 Bridge School

https://youtu.be/i9FGVRpheWc
    Even quoting Roxette. Swedes stay swedes.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Some really fine tributes there guys, thanks for posting them. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.