Options

Grappling with infinity.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
Infinity.  It boggles the mind.  It's impossible to grasp and yet science and math tell us there really is such a thing.  At is largest state of being, i.e. the universe, it is something that has perplexed the greatest of minds for centuries.

But what about us mere mortals?  There are time were the simplest things can turn into a conundrum of possibilities regarding infinity. 

For example: I have a road atlas that has a big photo on the cover. The photo is a picture of a family by their car. It appears that they are on a road trip. The mother in the photo is holding a copy of the road atlas I have which, of course, has the same photo as my road atlas has. So her road atlas must also have the same photo mine does, which is a mother holding a photo of the same atlas, with a photo of a mother holding the same atlas, with a photo of a mother holding the same atlas, with a photo of a mother holding the same atlas, with a photo of a mother holding the same atlas, with a photo of a mother holding the same atlas, with a photo of a mother holding the same atlas, with a photo of a mother holding the same atlas, with a photo of a mother holding the same atlas, with a photo of a mother holding the same atlas... ad infinitum.

I pointed this out to my wife once. She just kind of scowled and said, "GET OUT OF HERE!"

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,919
     :o  =)   The home I grew up in had athree hinged mirrors in the bathroom that folded in towards each other to basically make a triangle.  I used to put my head in and I could literally see into infinity.   I did it more often than one would think  :s;)B)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    What’s a road atlas?  Kidding...I am old enough to have used them.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited January 2019
    I actually don't have a problem grasping the concept of infinity in my own mind. I feel quite comfortable with it, when I seriously contemplate it and its implications, on an intellectual and emotional level. But I understand why many people do grapple with it as well. I am not even sure why I feel so comfortable with it. It just feels right and natural to me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    Certainly infinity, but our/the universe’s existence in general is just crazy to think about.  How can all of this exist?   Whether it is a Big Bang or a god, something came from nothing and that is just mind boggling.
  • Options
     :o  =)   The home I grew up in had athree hinged mirrors in the bathroom that folded in towards each other to basically make a triangle.  I used to put my head in and I could literally see into infinity.   I did it more often than one would think  :s;)B)
    How did you find your way back??  :dizzy:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I actually don't have a problem grasping the concept of infinity in my own mind. I actually feel quite comfortable with it, when I seriously contemplate it and its implications, on an intellectual and emotional level. But I understand why many people do grapple with it as well. I am not even sure why I feel so comfortable with it. It just feels right and natural to me.
    You have a very open mind!