Options

Christmas Single's discontinued:(

Comments

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Eh... raise your hand if you’re still doing the same things you did 25 years ago.  The Christmas single was a great idea but the band clearly lost enthusiasm for it long ago.  I just don’t think losing enthusiasm for it equates to laziness.  I think they were probably struggling to come up with stuff that they were happy about releasing and it lead to long delays.  Not the same as being lazy to me. I’m bummed to see it go but better to let it go than just let it die a slow death. 
    Do you still decorate a Christmas tree, carve a turkey, do something on Easter, Halloween, Hannakuh etc?

Traditions are good sometimes and this is one that was good but is going away...
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    Even less music! What a kick in the crotch!
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,268
    If they don't want to do it, whatever, they don't want to do it. But it feels like being left in dark when you get an email says, paraphrasing,  "we're discontinuing the single.If you're due one, you'll get one, and beyond that, we're excited to see what the future holds."

As a consumer, this just raises a ton of questions, as we've all felt. Namely, why should I remain at the $40 level? Will there be fee restructuring?  I'm an October renewal, so this will be hashed out by then, but for the people who are up in January, there are some serious questions. 

I think 10Club generally does a pretty decent job... for a band's fan club-- i think? I don't subscribe to any others, though.

But that single is one of the 2 main reasons people join. And there's no way that they don't know that. When you're cancelling one of those reasons (and the other reason has already basically diminished to down to a lottery's chance), I don't think it's asking too much to have these answers prepared and in the email, or at least let us know these concerns are being considered and discussed. If you don't have those answers ready  then give us something like, "We looking at new options for our loyal fan base," or, " Changes to the membership fee structure will be announced soon." Something like that or whatever is applicable to the situation they're in. It's just good business. And it is a business. 

"Excited to see what the future holds" sounds like nothing is known and its just a straight cancellation of services. 
    Echoing this.  Would it have been that difficult to have a communication from a member of the band explaining why they have decided to go in this new direction?  Are they that out of touch that they don't realize that people will be surprised and disappointed by this decision?  The band is the one that created the expectations-- "Viva La Vinyl," anyone?-- that are now being left unmet.  The communication is especially tone-deaf in light of the fact that Analog members are owed-- yes, owed-- two singles that no one should have any confidence they will ever receive.  I feel like I and thousands of other Ten Club Analog members have each made Pearl Jam an interest-free loan of eighty dollars.  The band is lucky there hasn't been a class action lawsuit for breach of contract... yet, anyway.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    on2legs said:
    Eh... raise your hand if you’re still doing the same things you did 25 years ago.  The Christmas single was a great idea but the band clearly lost enthusiasm for it long ago.  I just don’t think losing enthusiasm for it equates to laziness.  I think they were probably struggling to come up with stuff that they were happy about releasing and it lead to long delays.  Not the same as being lazy to me. I’m bummed to see it go but better to let it go than just let it die a slow death. 
    A wise man once said "Better to burn out than to fade away."
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    Eh.  They have been kind of half assing those for a while.  I don't mind not getting them to be honest.  But maybe they will give us another perk?  
    kind of half assing?
  • Options
    hankholetsgohankholetsgo Posts: 125
    edited December 2019
    MedozK said:
    On a positive note, maybe they will change the whole membership thing to more of a “Third Man” type membership and produce made to order releases. (There is the Jack White connection that Mike has)

or they may be just liquifying the company and shutting it down.

Post edited by hankholetsgo on
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mr bungle said:
    That's the message I got. The music is no longer their focus. Hopefully they'll get some sweet analog member exclusive dog collars into the shop soon. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mr bungle said:
    Yeah that's a shame. Especially when the holiday single doesn't even have to be a real Pearl Jam song. Many times it's been a cover (Last Kiss, etc.) or an original song that is nothing like most Pearl Jam songs (Happy When I'm Crying, Olympic Platinum).

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    on2legs said:
    Do you still decorate a Christmas tree, carve a turkey, do something on Easter, Halloween, Hannakuh etc?

Traditions are good sometimes and this is one that was good but is going away...

I hear what what your saying Chris, but the single hasn’t been a priority for a long time and it was overdue to be put out of its misery.  They have been mailing it in for years and all they got on these boards were complaints about the song selections and the delays. I’m of the opinion that they don’t need to be chained to the past.  I think, for the band, the single used to be a fun thing but at a certain time it became a chore and that lead to the delays.  It seems like most people around here will be happier for it as they won’t be waiting for something they paid for a year ago.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    It’s a really sad day - I have been collecting these since 1993 and they were always something to look forward to once a year (yes, even when it was once every two years).  They were something unique and special and meant that even between albums we would get at least some kind of new music (even if it was live).

I guess they got a call from Trump telling them Santa ain’t real after all...
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    edited December 2018
    on2legs said:
    Masturbating to pictures of Alyssa Milano?

I'll raise my hand... in a minute.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited December 2018
    Well rather than mourning the loss of the holiday singles, let's celebrate the 54 tracks we got. Here's a download link....

http://wegotshit.blogspot.com/2015/10/complete-holiday-singles-collection.html

01. Let Me Sleep (It's Christmas Time)
    02. Ramblings 1
    03. Sonic Reducer
    04. Ramblings 2
    05. Angel
    06. Ramblings 3 (Live)
    07. History Never Repeats (Ed live with Neil and Tim Finn)
    08. Sonic Reducer (Live with Joey Ramone)
    09. Swallow My Pride (Stone and Jeff live with Green River)
    10. My Way (Ed live with an Elvis impersonator)
    11. Olympic Platinum
    12. Smile (Live)
    13. Happy When I'm Crying
    14. Live For Today (by R.E.M.)
    15. Solider Of Love (Live)
    16. Last Kiss
    17. Strangest Tribe
    18. Drifting
    19. Crown Of Thorns (Live with Brendan O' Brien)
    20. Can't Help Falling In Love (Live)
    21. Last Soldier (Live)
    22. Indifference (Ed live with Ben Harper)
    23. Gimme Some Truth (Live)
    24. I Just Want To Have Something To Do
    25. Don't Believe In Christmas (Live)
    26. Sleepless Nights (Ed live with Beck)
    27. Reach Down (Live with Chris Cornell)
    28. I Believe In Miracles (Live)
    29. Someday At Christmas
    30. Better Man (Ed with Walmer High School Choir)
    31. Little Sister (Live with Robert Plant)
    32. Gone (Demo)
    33. Love, Reign O'er Me
    34. Rockin' In The Free World (Live with Bono and The Edge)
    35. Santa God
    36. Jingle Bells
    37. Santa Cruz
    38. The Golden State (Ed with Corin Tucker)
    39. Turning Mist
    40. Hawaii '78 (Live)
    41. Falling Down (Live)
    42. Alternate Jeremy (Live)
    43. Better Things
    44. Devil Doll (Ed with X)
    45. All Night (Live with Glen Hansard, Dave Garza, and Joe Arthur)
    46. In The Moonlight (Live with Josh Homme)
    47. 99 Problems (Live with Jay-Z)
    48. Shattered (Ed live with Jeanne Tripplehorn)
    49. Imagine (Live)
    50. Pendulumorphosis
    51. Wishing Well
    52. Redemption Song (Ed live with Beyoncé)
    53. Alive (Rehearsal with Dave Krusen)
    54. Around And Around
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The holiday singles themselves, maybe just between the band releasing albums more slowly lately, plus Lost Dogs and everything, that they don't have as much material deemed worthy enough to put on the Holiday singles to keep it running?  In the sense of they have less studio B-sides laying around to release since so many already came out?

Mix in that they may want to save stuff for Black Friday and RSD releases some years, I can see how it would be nixed
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    Hobbes said:
    on2legs said:
    Masturbating to pictures of Alyssa Milano?

I'll raise my hand... in a minute.
    this is the funniest thing i've read in years. bravo :)
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,469
    The 40 buck membership still allows for the yearly member gift (usually a shirt), as well a bootleg (10 bucks worth). Its still a pretty good deal, if you ask me. Id rather have a vinyl than a shirt, but if they keep the current levels, 40 bucks for shirt, bootleg, deep mag, access to member only items, the contest AND the tickets....thats still worth it to me. I'd pay 50 or 60 for a vinyl version of that. Inflation and all.  

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    Well, I guess I won't "Spin. Spin. Spin the black circle."

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Viva la memory of vinyl
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    mr bungle said:
    Now maybe we can get what we really want...More Falla Sheep!!

Music is so 90's.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    End of an era maybe but Im guessing theyve seen quite a shift from analog to digital recently. It seems to be an ongoing problem getting the record out. Im a huge vinyl fan but not that bothered to be honest. The shambles that was the 2016 signalled the end to me. The timing is no coincidence, they had to communicate this message before the end of the year otherwise they would have been held to account for another single once people start renewing in 2019. That would be 3. Interested to hear if anyone has signed up to 2019 yet and what happens there. I'll gladly shift to digital now. Am I not right in thinking that only members can buy Vaults and exclusives like the Sevens boxset so there's my incentive to keep a membership.
  • Options
    SR91748SR91748 Posts: 138
    Bummerama
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Poncier said:
    PJWGIII said:
    I feel like Clarke Griswold when he found out he was being enrolled in the jelly of the month club. :) The band hasn't been into it for quite a while so as others have said I hope they release an extra vault or maybe a newer show on vinyl each year to go along with an older one
    Holy shit where’s the Tylenol?!
    Its the gift that keeps on giving the whole year.
    At leas the Jelly of The Month Club actually routinely gives you that jelly every month. I’m waiting for the 10C to give me that kind of reliability.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    chriszeechriszee Posts: 107
    Are membership prices going down? With this and now GA, keeping them update is always pretty much meaningless as well. How hard is it to put something together? They don’t need to get together for it.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Vedd Hedd said:
    The 40 buck membership still allows for the yearly member gift (usually a shirt), as well a bootleg (10 bucks worth). Its still a pretty good deal, if you ask me. Id rather have a vinyl than a shirt, but if they keep the current levels, 40 bucks for shirt, bootleg, deep mag, access to member only items, the contest AND the tickets....thats still worth it to me. I'd pay 50 or 60 for a vinyl version of that. Inflation and all.  

You’re about the only one I heard who is happy with the shirt. No way without a single is it worth close to $40.
    it should be a flat $20 now, no shirt but keep the mp3 download.
    Otherwise just drop it down to $10. Many fan clubs where the only perk advance on tickets are actually free. That’s not worthy $40 if they do a full tour every year where I have a chance to see multiple shows, and that’s not happening.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    It probably sounds negative but my bet is that they drop analog and put the digital membership up another $5 or $10.
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    This is a real bummer, bring it back!!!
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    Singles not Single's 

and yes it does suck a bit 

• Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited December 2018
    mace1229 said:
     Many fan clubs where the only perk advance on tickets are actually free. That’s not worthy $40 if they do a full tour every year where I have a chance to see multiple shows, and that’s not happening.
    Problem with the free fan club / advance tickets idea is that, in that system, scalpers have a free-for-all on tickets since they're all wise enough to sign up for artist fan clubs that grant them presale access. I'm in a few of these fan clubs and presale access is basically a joke.

The 10C system has worked because charging money (along with the day-of-show pickup and (recent) inability to transfer multiple seats) scares a good amount of scalpers away.

If this became a free fan club / advance tickets situation, it would create a shitshow for the 10C and fans alike.

I agree that charging $40 is too much since we will no longer be receiving a very important part of the membership. Personally I'd be okay with something in the $20-$25 range as long as nothing else is taken away. The band may only tour once in a blue moon, but when they do, being a 10C member - especially a longtime 10C member - is worth the gig-free years.
    Post edited by walkunafraid on
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Im disappointed, but not shocked or angry.  They are more than 2 years behind, you would figure its a huge chore and it sucks to be behind like that on anything.

Hoping they reconfigure the memberships some and keep it interesting without the single.
  • Options
    Just so I'm not confused - are they saying that if you paid for your analog membership in 2017 and 2018, they'll be sending you the last two singles?

Or does any of this depend on renewing again? 
  • Options
    Just so I'm not confused - are they saying that if you paid for your analog membership in 2017 and 2018, they'll be sending you the last two singles?

Or does any of this depend on renewing again? 
    As long as you paid for analog membership those years, you'll receive your singles for those years. You are entitled to them since they've already been paid for.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus