Options

Creating Your Own Pearl Jam Set List

For anyone who's ever tried to do it, the task is next to impossible. Have you ever tried to do it with a friend that may have differing opinions about what goes in a set than you do?

If this kind of Pearl Jam nerdery is your jam, check out what we came up with while trying to create a collaborative set list. Feel free to argue the choices and throw in your own perfect set list ideas.

Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    It's impossible. Whenever I do something like this I need to create a "night 1" version and "night 2" version - no repeats, of course.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    edited December 2018
    I think a way to do it is to just randomly write down the 1st songs that come into your head in whatever order. no prior thought.  just go with it.

those songs popped into my head in that order in the last 2 minutes.

life wasted
    present tense 
    jeremy
    corduroy
    long road
    johnny guitar
    better man
    hail hail
    whipping
    wishlist
    given to fly
    lightning bolt
    in my tree
    in hiding
    light years
    i am mine
    alive

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    Jeez...I've never yelled at a podcast before. :) Hey, although I may disagree with many of your choices/order, the podcast was nonetheless thought provoking!
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Great episode guys! Loving the podcast.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    PJWGIII said:
    Great episode guys! Loving the podcast.
    You're missing Layne in your RIP section.
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Jeez...I've never yelled at a podcast before. :) Hey, although I may disagree with many of your choices/order, the podcast was nonetheless thought provoking!
    You know when movies get those one liner rave reviews something like “a four star masterpiece” says the New York Times. “I’ve never yelled at a podcast before” would be on ours. Actually, I’ll find a way to use that at some point.

I’d rather people be yelling at us than doing nothing
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Assuming/hoping that you're still doing this a year from now, you should make the "create a setlist " episode an annual event each Christmas!
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Assuming/hoping that you're still doing this a year from now, you should make the "create a setlist " episode annual event each Christmas!
    Absolutely up for discussion!

• Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    edited December 2018
    Okay so here would be my preferred setlist if I went to a PJ show in 2019: 

1. Alive 
    Alive has only ever opened a PJ show 6 times. And I would bet that most of those came in 1990/1/2. Could you imagine the pop in an arena or stadium with the band coming out and playing that? Not only would we be taken aback that it opens the show, but I bet a slow realization that we wont get it at the end of the set will set in as well. Something new, fresh, and different for once.

2. Hard To Imagine 
    This song is the perfect opener. Hearing that amazing intro to this song after a ripping Alive solo would probably put half the audience in a coma. Im surprised they didn't play this at all in 2018. Maybe HTI has finally been put back on the shelf? 

3. Betterman
    To get another one of those 'cliche' songs out of the way earlier, lets put BM at the beginning of the set. I honestly think it would flow well here. Especially after the crowd just spent the last part of HTI screaming their head off. The crowds hype would be off the chain at this point I think. Oh yeah, and no tag so we can get more out of this set. 

4. Long Road
    Since we already have Boom and the Organ set up on stage, and Ed with a guitar may as well go into this one. I'm hoping this won't act as a crowd killer, but more of a sing along. 

5. Oceans
    I'd always wondered how an interpolation of the outro of Long Road into Oceans would sound. Since oceans is a little 2 minute diddy or so, I figure it wouldn't hurt to stick it here at the beginning of the set. 

6. Jeremy
    Okay, now its time to pick it back up a notch and keep the crowd invested. 

7. Black Diamond (Kiss Cover) 
    ....and now for a cover. People like to hate on the covers, but I really, truly have always liked this band's version of this Kiss klassic. And since I never have seen it live, I figure only fitting to add a little bias to my set =). Since this board seems split 50/50 on covers, I'd offer this as resolution: 

8. Pushin Forward Back (TOtD cover) (w/ 2000 Mile Blues outro)
    Okay, okay. So this one might cause some controversy. I'm not sure Ed could pull it off himself (don't crucify me, just objectively looking at it.)
    Maybe they would need to add a little guest on it. I know Ed is credited with background vocals on the actual album, so that would be cool to see live. And since they did Evil Little Goat live, I thought it would be fitting if they added 2000 Mile Blues to their live repertoire. They don't even have to play the whole thing, maybe just a tag. I feel like it would be perfect at the end of this song. 

Alright. On to the meat and potatoes of this set: 

9. Whipping
    Come on now, lets pick it up. 

10. Porch 
    Does Porch really have to close every single first set from here until the end of the band? No. Lets switch it up! Into ->

11. Lukin
    You're damn right we are in the moshpit part of the set. 

12. Animal
    see Lukins description. 

13. Unthought Known
    Okay. sheesh. Back to reality. Perfect one to play mid set. 50 percent like it and 50 percent will be at the bathroom or merch stand. I love it. So play it! 

14. Corduroy
    Lets get this one out of the way shall we? Ed's already got a guitar, so lets have at it. Im pretty sure the description of Unthought is the same at this one. Lets not have it too late in the set, as it always seems to be. "Yeahhhh Yeah!s" and all.

15. I Am Mine 
    This album rarely gets played anymore. I love this song and it has helped me and continues to help me though so much. I've been to 3 shows since 2016 and I have yet to get a Riot Act song. I know thats a small sample count, but when you look at it thats about 100 songs with no RA. Play some more Riot Act!!!!

16. Don't Give Me No Lip
    How about a fun one? Played 4 times since 2006. I would love to hear this one! Let Stone sing!!!!

17. You Are 
    Only choosing this one to go with 'I Am Mine' because they played it a bunch in 2018. Again, play more Riot Act!

18. Immortality 
    To end the first set on sort of a somber note, fire off on a ridiculous version of 'Tality that leaves everyone wanting more. 

ENCORE 1: (Lets have fun with our encores shall we?) 

19. Leatherman 
    Come out swinging! Not played at all this year :( 

20. Bu$hleaguer 
    It. Is. Time. This song has not been played in almost 12 years. Not since Obama came to office if you are keeping track. There is an absolute reason this song was written, and I think real life is reflecting its lyrics again. I don't know. Can't Deny Me can't seriously be seen as this presidents "BushLeauger" from PJ. I won't take it. Play the song!

21. Act Of Love (Neil Young cover.... er. Kind of.) 
    preferably with Uncle Neil. BTW this song always makes me think of Spiders by Cage The Elephant. 

22. Untitled -> Why Go
    Yall didn't want Untitled to take up one spot did ya?! I basically consider that song a little intro to MFC anyway. But imagine it going into Why Go? Hell yes. 

23. Deep 

24. All Night
    Only played 3 times since 2014 and 1 time this year. Lets bring it back! 

25. Release 
    How about another slow one in an odd spot 

Post edited by SandyRavage on