Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    edited December 2018

How can a litter box ever be full?

That person should not be allowed to have cats.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722

Brilliant!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    PJ_Soul said:
    In Sweden you get a note in your mailbox and you go to your nearest supermarket or whatever and get your package.

Why have the mailman just drop of packages like that... it doesn't make sense...
    I agree, and I don't think it should be legal for package delivery companies to do it at all. They do indeed all have the OPTION to leave a pick up notice like you say (and of course some packages require signature). But it really depends on the specific courier or carrier. One might decide to leave the package, another with the same company might leave a slip. It's all very stupid. I'm lucky in that I'm in a secure apartment building, so the mail carrier either leaves a pick up slip or comes into the secure building and leaves the package at my door in the hall, which is just fine. My actual neighbors in my hallway would never swipe a package.
    Anyway, given how common this whole package stealing thing has become, I am shocked that consumers are still putting up with this practice of leaving boxes on doorsteps visible to the street. It seems amazingly stupid. But it seems many are just too lazy to go pick up. They'd rather keep the smargasboard for the thieves open for business.
    I'm still betting it is a small percentage that get stolen, I'm guessing less than 1%.  I've actually never had a package stolen from my porch. 
    And cost is probably a big factor as well. People don't want to pay the extra bucks for a signature, or pay to have a third party hold it or whatever. 
    I have a small Etsy shop I do on weekends. I have about 500 orders I've completed. For the first year (about 100 orders) I paid the $3 per package for a signature and delivery confirmation because I was worried about it getting stolen and being out $50 to send a replacement. Then I realized after about 100 orders, I've spent $300 on signatures and never had a single issue. I could get about 5% of my boxes stolen and still be better off. So I stopped requiring a signature with the assumption I'd be out of pocket for anything stolen. Haven't had a single issue with 400 orders since, which has saved me about $1200 in shipping confirmation alone.
    Cheapest delivery options are usually just drop it off at the door and walk away, and merchants know the risk is worth the savings.
    And for more expensive items we still have the option to hold or require pickup. How much money would these business be out that ship hundreds, or thousands of things every day if they paid for that delivery confirmation?  It's cheaper to just drop it off at the porch and replace anything that gets stolen.