The Worst or Best Seat in the House Game

13»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Tool  That's easy.  They are loud enough and visual that you want to be further back and enjoy the show.

I want to do something higher profile but I'll ask this instead...

Being in the room when Kris Kristopherson taught Bobbi McGee to Janis Joplin

or

Being in the same room where Bruce Springsteen worked on Because The Night with Patti Smith

I have a little nugget of info to go along with this question after it is answered.
    I love Janis but can't stand her rendition of Bobbi McGee so I'll go a long with Bruce/ Patti/ Night.  Interesting twist on the game and looking forward to what more you have on this!!

Meanwhile:

1969, Woodstock.  Up close to see The Who or furthest back to see Jimi Hendrix's Gypsy Sun and Rainbows?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    See, I knew I should have clarified that worst seats for tool didn't mean "far back and up high" but rather the seat where you experience the least amount of their show's atmosphere. :wink:
  • Tool  That's easy.  They are loud enough and visual that you want to be further back and enjoy the show.

or

Being in the same room where Bruce Springsteen worked on Because The Night with Patti Smith

I have a little nugget of info to go along with this question after it is answered.
    So here is this little nugget of info on this:

Both of these incidents happened while Patti Smith was present.  She got to see Kristopherson teaching this to Janis and obviously she worked with Springsteen on their song together.

You can read about these occurrences in music history and more in her book "Just Kids".  She was also present at Jimmy Hendrix' opening of Ladyland Studios.

If you know pop culture about this era her book is a "who's who" of the time and amazing how she was there to witness and be a part of it.
  • See, I knew I should have clarified that worst seats for tool didn't mean "far back and up high" but rather the seat where you experience the least amount of their show's atmosphere. :wink:
    That wouldn't have made a difference as I'd pick TOOL every time, lol!

APC is good but it isn't the same as TOOL...
    Tool  That's easy.  They are loud enough and visual that you want to be further back and enjoy the show.

or

So here is this little nugget of info on this:

Both of these incidents happened while Patti Smith was present.  She got to see Kristopherson teaching this to Janis and obviously she worked with Springsteen on their song together.

You can read about these occurrences in music history and more in her book "Just Kids".  She was also present at Jimmy Hendrix' opening of Ladyland Studios.

If you know pop culture about this era her book is a "who's who" of the time and amazing how she was there to witness and be a part of it.
    Interesting!  But also frustrating because I read and loved Patti's book Just Kids and don't remember that part!

OK, so...

1969, Woodstock.  Up close to see The Who or furthest back to see Jimi Hendrix's Gypsy Sun and Rainbows?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ I was actually going to use Hendrix at Woodstock in my next one, Brian. Awesome (and difficult) choices here.  I’m going Hendrix though. 

Next up, 1994. NIN worst seat for Downward Spiral tour or best seat for Alice In Chains. Large venue. 
    AIC, never got to see them and would love to with Layne.
    1992, a small club in England.  Up front for Oasis or back of the club behind a pillar for The Verve.  Both bands are virtually unknown at this point.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Can I just ask, since we’re time travelling anyway, can we please see these shows as our 20-something year old selves, instead of our current old, creaky selves? ;). Then I can at least see the stage better. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    1992, a small club in England.  Up front for Oasis or back of the club behind a pillar for The Verve.  Both bands are virtually unknown at this point.
    oasis
    Bob dylan front row at Newport (first electrical) or Elvis come back special behind the camera
    Can I just ask, since we’re time travelling anyway, can we please see these shows as our 20-something year old selves, instead of our current old, creaky selves? ;). Then I can at least see the stage better. 
    I'm pretending to be a time-traveling, young Yao Ming at every show. :lol:
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited December 2018
    fife said:
    oasis
    Bob dylan front row at Newport (first electrical) or Elvis come back special behind the camera
    Dylan, by a mile.

It's 1983 and you've got either front row to the Scorpions (who were supported by Iron Maiden, Rainbow and Riot at times) or back of the house for Def Leppard's Pyromania tour in support of their 3rd album.

A taste of '83 Def Leppard:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtiFjIVCu_k

Scorpions '83:
    https://youtu.be/uw7HHebPUgw
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I was actually going to use Hendrix at Woodstock in my next one, Brian. Awesome (and difficult) choices here.  I’m going Hendrix though. 

Next up, 1994. NIN worst seat for Downward Spiral tour or best seat for Alice In Chains. Large venue. 
    Tough choice but good pick bb!

Thanks!  :plus_one:

:lol:  Heck yeah!

• Def Leppard.  That Pyromania album was killer.

OK it's 1981 and you get to see Motley Crue up close in Hollwood's The Whiskey or back of the venue to see Phil Collins start his Face Value tour and solo career?
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    1981 I would definitely pick Motley Crue - best time to see heavy metal/arena rock bands - my 20 year old self makes all my choices in this thread and is probably drunk right now. :smiley:

(I never got into Phil Collins post Genesis either)

1996  Outdoor venue- Summer

worst seats for H.O.R.D.E. festival headliners - Blues Traveler, Rusted Root, Lenny Kravitz 

or

best seats for Alanis Morrisette touring for Jagged Little Pill with Radiohead opener

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited December 2018
    Alanis!!!!!

front row totd at msg, 2016

back of a small  venue for Ed, Dave Grohl and mike watt 1995
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:
    Alanis!!!!!

front row totd at msg, 2016

back of a small  venue for Ed, Dave Grohl and mike watt 1995
    Hmmmm. I was at the 2016 TOTD show, and with pretty good seats; not front row but pretty close, so is it the devil I know or the devil I don’t?  I think I’d choose 1995. 

1966. Small club show with Van Morrison in Hollywood, or Cream’s performance at an outdoor festival venue in the UK 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Oh - that's a good one.

I'm going for Van Morrison in a small club in 1966 - it would be awesome. 

Lou Reed in small college club-at stage

or

Stevie Ray Vaughn on the Piers In Manhattan (outdoors)-Sold Out -watching through fence.

njnancy said:
    Oh - that's a good one.

I'm going for Van Morrison in a small club in 1966 - it would be awesome. 

Lou Reed in small college club-at stage

or

Stevie Ray Vaughn on the Piers In Manhattan (outdoors)-Sold Out -watching through fence.

Lou, any time, anywhere, any place!

Mid 70's CBGB's, NYC.  Up close with the Ramones or at the back of the room dodging dog poop to see Television?

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Ramones.

Beatles. Best seat at Shea or on the street, blocks away, can't see shit, and can hear okay for the rooftop gig.

Hobbes said:
    Ramones.

Beatles. Best seat at Shea or on the street, blocks away, can't see shit, and can hear okay for the rooftop gig.

Another nice twist on the game there, Hobbes!  Same band, two very different types of gigs.

I'll let someone else take this one because I just had a turn last time. 

• If I am young I want to be up close but I know the sound is going to be awful but I still say up close at Shea!

In the area for Woodstock and hear Joe Cocker for the whole concert or up close at Saturday Night Live for only two songs but get to see him jam with Belushi?
    edited December 2018
    Full slot at Woodstock.
    Front orchestra seats in small theatre to see Billy Corgan solo or nosebleeds in an arena to see Smashing Pumpkins?
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Probably Billy solo as he is the Pumpkins

1824, worst seats for Beethoven, first performance of Symphony #9 Ode to Joy

or

a small intimate gig at the Creature Cantina in Mos Eisley on Tatooine to see the house band

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    erebus said:

or

a small intimate gig at the Creature Cantina in Mos Eisley on Tatooine to see the house band

Wow, Nicely done, erebus!

Were it the 5th or Pastoral 6th, I'd go with Beethoven.  But since I'm not a big fan of the 9th and I'm intrigued by the "Creature Cantina in Mos Eisley on Tatooine" (of which I have no knowledge but will be looking up shortly!) I'll go with the latter.

Mid 1930's.  On a dusty street corner in Mobile at the back of a small crowd gathered around Robert Johnson or best seats in the Cotton Club to see The Duke Ellington Orchestra?

• Ooooooh!  Robert Johnson please!!!

Early days of James Brown at the Apollo theatre or Michael Jackson Bad tour at the top of a Stadium?

The above "Tatooine" reference is the band that plays in Star Wars.

brianlux said:
    erebus said:

or

Wow, Nicely done, erebus!

Were it the 5th or Pastoral 6th, I'd go with Beethoven.  But since I'm not a big fan of the 9th and I'm intrigued by the "Creature Cantina in Mos Eisley on Tatooine" (of which I have no knowledge but will be looking up shortly!) I'll go with the latter.

Mid 1930's.  On a dusty street corner in Mobile at the back of a small crowd gathered around Robert Johnson or best seats in the Cotton Club to see The Duke Ellington Orchestra?

Oh, of course.  Star Wars!

OK, someone gets to go with tempos' post-
    Ooooooh!  Robert Johnson please!!!

Early days of James Brown at the Apollo theatre or Michael Jackson Bad tour at the top of a Stadium?

The above "Tatooine" reference is the band that plays in Star Wars.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    james brown, not even close.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13