Ex-NASA engineer's glitter bomb exacts revenge on porch thieves

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Ex-NASA engineer's glitter bomb exacts revenge on porch thieves

So funny...
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    Poor first post. Post the video or SOMETHING
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    So let me get this straight:  A retired NASA engineer goes glam as a way to seek revenge on the people who post on The Porch.  Would that ex-NASA engineering be.... YOU!?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    He may want to consider moving to a better neighborhood or never order anything off the internet again
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Jason P said:
    He may want to consider moving to a better neighborhood or never order anything off the internet again
    Yeah, dude must live in the frigging ghetto.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Jason P said:
    it happens in all neighborhoods.

I like these two MENSAs

• Options
    Reminds me of a guy I worked with in the mid 70's who hooked up his car's hood locks to his 12 volt battery just in case anyone tried to steal something from under the hood (especially the 4 barrel Holley carb).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Fuck these porch pirate pussies.  I do not usually laugh at human suffering, but when I see one of these assholes break a leg in their attempt to steal or get their eyes glazed over by glitter (hopefully resulting in blindness), I make an exception.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited December 2018
    In Sweden you get a note in your mailbox and you go to your nearest supermarket or whatever and get your package.

Why have the mailman just drop of packages like that... it doesn't make sense...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Reminds me of a guy I worked with in the mid 70's who hooked up his car's hood locks to his 12 volt battery just in case anyone tried to steal something from under the hood (especially the 4 barrel Holley carb).
    That dude was hardcore serious about someone tampering with his car...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    Jason P said:

I like these two MENSAs

Perfect! And in film too. Double perfect!!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    In Sweden you get a note in your mailbox and you go to your nearest supermarket or whatever and get your package.

Why have the mailman just drop of packages like that... it doesn't make sense...
    I would say with the number of parcels getting delivered on a daily basis, it likely a very small amount of parcels being stolen. Generally, it's up to the company to request a signature...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited December 2018

You do have the option to do that if you would like.  There are actually a ton of different delivery options and options vary with carriers (UPS, DHL,  Fed ex, USPS, etc).  If I know I’ll be home, I will have things shipped directly to my home and also usually have the option to deliver during a time window (again, varies with carrier).  Otherwise, I will normally request that the carrier hold it for pickup.  I like having options...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    I watched the clip in the link. Gawddamn funny as hell!

Lowlife thieves thinking they've hit the jackpot. BOOM: glittered. Then, slack-jawed and mouths agape... Pffffthththtt: fart sauced.

Hahahahahahahhahahahahaha
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Lowlife thieves thinking they've hit the jackpot. BOOM: glittered. Then, slack-jawed and mouths agape... Pffffthththtt: fart sauced.

I always assumed it was pathetic tooth rotting methheads and so forth doing this.  I was surprised at some of the people that were “busted” with the cameras in the box.  Kleptomaniac lowlifes have no demographic boundaries, I suppose?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Smellyman said:
    Jason P said:

I like these two MENSAs

Was that Russel Wilson?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Glitter is a freaking mess to clean up...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    I saw this on facebook and the predominant comment was "they should have used ink" (or anything that would stain or whatever).  I think the glitter is perfect.  It's going to annoy them for a long, long time.  I love this.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Good reason to have a P.O. Box or other mail service. 

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519

In Hong Kong and Taiwan you get a note to pick it up at the post office.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Good reason to have a P.O. Box or other mail service. 
    Exactly :)
  • Options
    Amazon now gives you the option of locations you can retrieve your parcels from.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    all that effort for a glitter bomb?  i would have used something much more permanent like an actual bomb.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    edited December 2018

I don't want to go to my supermarket to pick up the pizza cutting scissors that I ordered on Amazon!  =)

Plus, our mail carriers are not worried about getting attacked by polar bears when delivering to rural areas
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I don't want to go to my supermarket to pick up the pizza cutting scissors that I ordered on Amazon!  =)

Plus, our mail carriers are not worried about getting attacked by polar bears when delivering to rural areas
    I've seen The Hills Have Eyes. There ware worse things than polar bears out there.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited December 2018

I agree, and I don't think it should be legal for package delivery companies to do it at all. They do indeed all have the OPTION to leave a pick up notice like you say (and of course some packages require signature). But it really depends on the specific courier or carrier. One might decide to leave the package, another with the same company might leave a slip. It's all very stupid. I'm lucky in that I'm in a secure apartment building, so the mail carrier either leaves a pick up slip or comes into the secure building and leaves the package at my door in the hall, which is just fine. My actual neighbors in my hallway would never swipe a package.
    Anyway, given how common this whole package stealing thing has become, I am shocked that consumers are still putting up with this practice of leaving boxes on doorsteps visible to the street. It seems amazingly stupid. But it seems many are just too lazy to go pick up. They'd rather keep the smargasboard for the thieves open for business.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited December 2018
    Jason P said:
    Trust me.  Happens in gated neighborhoods with hired security.   USA Today found last year that 31% of the however many thousand they polled have had it happen to them.  I know on my local news theres a new video every single night and im in a very nice area.  Thanks to Ring cams and regular cameras they’re catching a lot of these idiots who apparently are too lazy to work but are motivated enough to drive through neighborhoods all day.  

I love that video tho. Genius :lol:
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    How about instead of glitter use stink bombs loaded with butyric acid?  Butyric acid has one of the most putrid odors of any substance.  Getting spattered with some of it would very likely dissuade future thefts from the offender.   Place the package in the middle of the driveway so that the remaining substance could be washed away later. 

PJ_Soul said:

I agree, and I don't think it should be legal for package delivery companies to do it at all. They do indeed all have the OPTION to leave a pick up notice like you say (and of course some packages require signature). But it really depends on the specific courier or carrier. One might decide to leave the package, another with the same company might leave a slip. It's all very stupid. I'm lucky in that I'm in a secure apartment building, so the mail carrier either leaves a pick up slip or comes into the secure building and leaves the package at my door in the hall, which is just fine. My actual neighbors in my hallway would never swipe a package.
    Anyway, given how common this whole package stealing thing has become, I am shocked that consumers are still putting up with this practice of leaving boxes on doorsteps visible to the street. It seems amazingly stupid. But it seems many are just too lazy to go pick up. They'd rather keep the smargasboard for the thieves open for business.
    This, of course, is the most reasonable approach.  Just don't have stuff shipped so it ends up sitting on your doorstep.  Problem solved.

• Options
    Apple requires a signature.  I do not remember the last time I ordered from Amazon that required a signature.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Heh. That was brilliant. 
    Falling down,...not staying down