Some People's Dogs

12345679»

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It's pit bulls strength, agility and power that can be the problem if the dog is very protective of children.  And from what I read they do become protective and sometimes mistake innocent interaction between the child and someone the dog is less familiar.  So once they go on the attack they are very difficult to control...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Some information, whether you're staunchly-opposed, supportive, or somewhere in between.

http://www.vrcpitbull.com/pit-bull-facts/
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    Are pit bulls not banned where some of you folks are?  Been banned in Ontario for while.  Pit bulls should not be pets, they are one f the strongest and most aggressive breed, and often the owners train them to be aggressive.
    Not banned here and I've never met a pit bull that wasn't sweet and loving.  Jumpy and strong, sure, but never aggressive.  Of course, all their owners have been caring people who spent time with them as pups and trained them to be gentle.  There will always be exceptions but I really think a lot of it comes down to ownership (and there will always be animal instinct no matter how gentle you train).  Many owners do raise them to be aggressive, and those who do, usually purchase or adopt them with that sole purpose in mind from the start.  These people need to not own dogs of any kind, let alone a big, strong breed.
    This all suggests to me that pit bulls should absolutely be banned (a breeding and acquisition ban that is). The good owners are irrelevant to the argument IMO. They aren't going to prevent the bad owners from being bad owners. Nobody is. And they aren't going to prevent the attacks by previously sweet and gentle dogs either, and yes, that happens.
    "THAT NEVER WOULDA HAPPENED IF THERE HAD BEEN A GOOD GUY WITH A PITT BULL AROUND!". 
    We need common sense pit bull laws! 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    Are pit bulls not banned where some of you folks are?  Been banned in Ontario for while.  Pit bulls should not be pets, they are one f the strongest and most aggressive breed, and often the owners train them to be aggressive.
    Not banned here and I've never met a pit bull that wasn't sweet and loving.  Jumpy and strong, sure, but never aggressive.  Of course, all their owners have been caring people who spent time with them as pups and trained them to be gentle.  There will always be exceptions but I really think a lot of it comes down to ownership (and there will always be animal instinct no matter how gentle you train).  Many owners do raise them to be aggressive, and those who do, usually purchase or adopt them with that sole purpose in mind from the start.  These people need to not own dogs of any kind, let alone a big, strong breed.
    This all suggests to me that pit bulls should absolutely be banned (a breeding and acquisition ban that is). The good owners are irrelevant to the argument IMO. They aren't going to prevent the bad owners from being bad owners. Nobody is. And they aren't going to prevent the attacks by previously sweet and gentle dogs either, and yes, that happens.
    Then you have to ban all dogs and cats.  They all have animal instincts and can cause harm.  Correct, good owners aren't going to prevent bad owners from being bad owners, but that's not their responsibility.  It's the responsibility of the seller/breeder/shelter to make sure a dog doesn't get in the hands of the wrong owner.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    Then you have to ban all dogs and cats.  They all have animal instincts and can cause harm.  Correct, good owners aren't going to prevent bad owners from being bad owners, but that's not their responsibility.  It's the responsibility of the seller/breeder/shelter to make sure a dog doesn't get in the hands of the wrong owner.
    not all breeds have the capacity nor ability to tear an infant to shreds in seconds. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Humans are to blame for breeding and making dogs killers , I’d rather be with an animal any day over rotten despicable humans any day ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    You are so right.  I have a 7-year-old sweetheart of a black lab that nipped at me once.  Remember they are still animals, with animal instincts...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Pit bulls are the ar-15’s of the dog world!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    mcgruff10 said:
    That’s totally absurd , what happened you drank to much cold red wine ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    mcgruff10 said:
    There's worse:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Again and without provocation:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/central-alberta-girl-11-recovering-after-vicious-dog-attack/ar-BBTDlJ3?ocid=spartanntp

This part gets me:

"The mixed breed dog remains impounded and is under quarantine while AHS is doing a behavioural assessment on the animal," she told CBC news Thursday.

Investigators will also look at the dog's history before determining if it should be declared dangerous, which could result in euthanization.

Sorry... but exactly what about the unprovoked, vicious attack that hospitalized a young girl did you not understand that has anyone questioning whether the dog was dangerous or not?

The owners could also face charges depending on the outcome of the investigation.

No. Don't do that. How were they to know their 130 lb pitbull cross that took two men to pry it from the girl (having to tape its mouth shut in the process) would pose a risk to anyone? It's not their fault. It's the little girl's for trying to visit her friend and coming to the door to be admitted to the house.

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    We have a few pit bulls for patients. All of them are nice, well trained family dogs.

However, even those dogs can turn into vicious attack dogs without warning. That is the issue with them: fine one minute and chewing on a face the next.

I would never have a pit bull in my home or around my family or pets.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV