Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I got into an argument today on social media about bin collections for household waste in one community going from weekly pick ups to fortnightly pick ups. Holy shit did i get stepped on for suggesting reducing household waste. It was as if i had consulted with the devil haha.
    We are an every other week pick-up schedule.  It should at least be weekly. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    @brianlux Just curious, you drive a Prius.  Have Toyota found a way to limit the plastic on those cars, or is the plastic used on it recycled.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    most complaints were about disposable nappies and maggots infesting the bins. The photos were disgusting. My waste is clean and minimal. No food ever goes into my waste bin people eat and waste too much in my opinion. I feed my scraps to the magpies and kookaburras and possums. food waste is phenomenal if you look at the billions of tonnes wasted every year it's a joke. 
    most complaints were about disposable nappies and maggots infesting the bins. The photos were disgusting. My waste is clean and minimal. No food ever goes into my waste bin people eat and waste too much in my opinion. I feed my scraps to the magpies and kookaburras and possums. food waste is phenomenal if you look at the billions of tonnes wasted every year it's a joke. 
    No doubt, human are a wasteful species...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I just moved to a small rural town a few months back...and my former town will be putting fluoride back in the water (I'm opposed to forced fluoridation).  So I went to my towns website to see if they fluoride (not added).  Anyways, one of the ways the town is trying to reduce plastic bottle waste is by giving out stickers for businesses to place on their door that lets you know they will refill your reusable water bottle if you are out and about.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    @brianlux Just curious, you drive a Prius.  Have Toyota found a way to limit the plastic on those cars, or is the plastic used on it recycled.
    My Prius is 10 years old so I'm not sure Toyota has limited plastic in them but I kind of doubt it.  I love it that my car runs cleaner than many and gets great gas mileage but that does not make it an eco-friendly vehicle.  It is not.  "Eco-friendly car" is an oxymoron. "Less polluting", yes, but eco-friendly, no. 

There are a number of reasons why all cars, even electric cars are not eco-friendly:

-They are made with a lot of plastic.
    -Hybrids still use petroleum- both gas and oil.
    -Electric cars still use oil.
    -Huge amounts of water are required to build a single automobile.
    -Eco destructive mining is required to build cars, especially those utilizing rare-earths.
    -All tires are polluting, emitting toxins such as cadmium. 

Smaller hybrid and electric cars are obviously less polluting than large SUVs, ROATS (ridiculously over-sized American trucks) and monster vehicles like Humvees, but we should not fool ourselves into thinking they are eco-friendly.   They are (in my opinion) a better choice and diving less frequently, commuting fewer miles, using public transit, and ride sharing help even more.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    My Prius is 10 years old so I'm not sure Toyota has limited plastic in them but I kind of doubt it.  I love it that my car runs cleaner than many and gets great gas mileage but that does not make it an eco-friendly vehicle.  It is not.  "Eco-friendly car" is an oxymoron. "Less polluting", yes, but eco-friendly, no. 

There are a number of reasons why all cars, even electric cars are not eco-friendly:

-Eco destructive mining is required to build cars, especially those utilizing rare-earths.

Smaller hybrid and electric cars are obviously less polluting than large SUVs, ROATS (ridiculously over-sized American trucks) and monster vehicles like Humvees, but we should not fool ourselves into thinking they are eco-friendly.   They are (in my opinion) a better choice and diving less frequently, commuting fewer miles, using public transit, and ride sharing help even more.
    We do need to find a better solution than using plastic.  Plastic is literally choking the planet to death...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

We do need to find a better solution than using plastic.  Plastic is literally choking the planet to death...
    I agree.  But I know of an alternative for plastics in cars, computers, etc.  There isn't enough metal and besides, mining is bad for environment.  I think the only solutions are either far fewer people or going back to a tech-less way of living.  Or both.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I agree.  But I know of an alternative for plastics in cars, computers, etc.  There isn't enough metal and besides, mining is bad for environment.  I think the only solutions are either far fewer people or going back to a tech-less way of living.  Or both.
    I think both.  It would not hurt if they manufactured things to last longer.  We know they can.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I think both.  It would not hurt if they manufactured things to last longer.  We know they can.
    AH!  You are speaking my language.  DURABILITY!  This!!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The last couple years I have been paying more for clothes that are better quality, so worth it.  I do not even remember the last time I had to buy clothes...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The last couple years I have been paying more for clothes that are better quality, so worth it.  I do not even remember the last time I had to buy clothes...
    SO much crap is made to break or become outdated overnight.  I learned about this concept clear back in 1968 with the release of this record:  Blues Project, Planned Obsolescence:

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    ^ Quality over quantity anytime.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Hemp needs to be better utilized.  I know its not the complete answer, but it does seem like the better alternative.

https://ministryofhemp.com/blog/why-isnt-hemp-plastic-everywhere/
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Great book by the man who came up with the acronym ROAT:

brianlux said:

I'm going to see if my library has that book.  I prefer the library, I have not got the room for book storage...it looks interesting.  With all that plastic getting dumped in the Oceans, how much time does the earth have left, before it becomes unbearable to live in most parts?  I live in the great lakes region, so climate change has really not hit us like other areas.  It is present, we know its there...we face more torrential rainstorms than ever before, a week before Christmas and I'm still wearing a light coat and no sign of snow.  People along the lakes are suffering rapid erosion and more flooding, so far it's manageable...but we all are going to pay with increased insurance premiums...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Hey, this is a great discussion and the thread is staying on topic, which usually always happens on the AMT...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Hey, this is a great discussion and the thread is staying on topic, which usually always happens on the AMT...lol
    Haha!  Rare, indeed!

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

I'm going to see if my library has that book.  I prefer the library, I have not got the room for book storage...it looks interesting.  With all that plastic getting dumped in the Oceans, how much time does the earth have left, before it becomes unbearable to live in most parts?  I live in the great lakes region, so climate change has really not hit us like other areas.  It is present, we know its there...we face more torrential rainstorms than ever before, a week before Christmas and I'm still wearing a light coat and no sign of snow.  People along the lakes are suffering rapid erosion and more flooding, so far it's manageable...but we all are going to pay with increased insurance premiums...
    The Great Lakes region may be one of the last habitable zones for humans, this water won't go away any time soon!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

The Great Lakes region may be one of the last habitable zones for humans, this water won't go away any time soon!
    How much has industrial pollution from cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Duluth, Buffalo, etc. impacted the region environmentally?

rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

What about these algae blooms that appear every year? How are they going to impact our drinking water?  My town gets. it's water from Erie, those seem to be the big concern for people.  Yes, the water is going nowhere.  We do need to take care of it.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

How much has industrial pollution from cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Duluth, Buffalo, etc. impacted the region environmentally?

Smog alert could be linked to U.S. coal-fired generatorshttps://lfpress.com/news/local-news/smog-alert-could-be-linked-to-u-s-coal-fired-generators

I'll look for more info.  In Ontario, we have no coal-fired plants.  We have shuttered them.  ER now have a mix of nuclear, wind, solar and natural gas.  My dad worked for Ontario Hydro at a coal-fired plant, he has asthma, most likely caused by his occupation.  Trust me, you do not want to develop severe asthma when you are 50.  There were many times when I was living at home I had to rush him to the hospital.  When you see a loved one struggling to just do the basics of trying to breathe, pretty scary stuff for a 16-17-year-old.  Every-time I got him to the hospital, the staff was great...they would take in immediately and get him on medicine...

Give Peas A Chance…
    [
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

Smog alert could be linked to U.S. coal-fired generatorshttps://lfpress.com/news/local-news/smog-alert-could-be-linked-to-u-s-coal-fired-generators

I'll look for more info.  In Ontario, we have no coal-fired plants.  We have shuttered them.  ER now have a mix of nuclear, wind, solar and natural gas.  My dad worked for Ontario Hydro at a coal-fired plant, he has asthma, most likely caused by his occupation.  Trust me, you do not want to develop severe asthma when you are 50.  There were many times when I was living at home I had to rush him to the hospital.  When you see a loved one struggling to just do the basics of trying to breathe, pretty scary stuff for a 16-17-year-old.  Every-time I got him to the hospital, the staff was great...they would take in immediately and get him on medicine...

I think it has improved since the 60's.  The Cuyahoga River hasn't caught fire recently.  But I have read that Lake Erie has dead zones due to algae blooms.  Someone even wrote a book about it:

brianlux said:
    [
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

I think it has improved since the 60's.  The Cuyahoga River hasn't caught fire recently.  But I have read that Lake Erie has dead zones due to algae blooms.  Someone even wrote a book about it:

The Detroit River is supposedly getting much cleaner.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    [
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

The Detroit River is supposedly getting much cleaner.
    Good news!

Give Peas A Chance…
    Well HALLELUJAH!  That's cool!  Was Trump drunk when he signed this bill?  Or just didn't read it all?  Or maybe had burned a few down?

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    Well HALLELUJAH!  That's cool!  Was Trump drunk when he signed this bill?  Or just didn't read it all?  Or maybe had burned a few down?
    My question is “Why did it take someone like Trump to finally get this done?”.  I’m sure plenty of other administrations had the opportunity...Useful idiot indeed.