My Pearl Jam-inspired novel

As I mentioned in another thread in this forum, I've written a Pearl Jam-inspired novel. It's called State of Love & Trust, and it's a tragicomedy about love, trust, Detroit, dogs and Pearl Jam fans. After writing and rewriting this book between 2006-2010, I "trunked" it for a long time and worked on several other novels. I pulled it out last February and put it through major revisions and lots of editing and polishing, and had the cover designed by someone who knew what he was doing. I finally published it on Wednesday.

Here's the book's blurb:
The words embroidered on their family crest reflect the hard-won dark humor of Ellie and Clive, twins building their lives on the seismic fault of a tabloid-worthy childhood. It’s all coming together for them, thick and solid as a storm front.

In Corktown, Detroit, Ellie is settled into a relationship with Clive’s best friend. He tolerates her evangelical zeal for Pearl Jam—right down to her refurbished school bus dedicated to the Yield album—even if he does prefer Kiss. But when they get a new housemate who’s true blue to Pearl Jam, patience, fidelity, friendship and truth will be tested from every possible angle.

Meanwhile, Clive has given up his lifelong hobby of worrying about everyone else, fled Detroit’s drama, and married the most together woman on the planet. She runs a heating business; he paints oversized album jacket replicas in their rural northern Michigan bungalow. It’s idyllic—until an invasion of microscopic Rafferty doom unmasks his cowardice. Clive is forced to choose between saving face, and finally facing down his worst enemy: himself.

Ellie and Clive might manage to outrun the Rafferty doom that has dogged them their entire lives, but it’s going to be a whole lot harder to outrun adulthood.
I blog about my writing process and whatnot at graceombry.com.
The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Thanks for sharing!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    Thursday, August 17 marks one year since the debut of my novel, State of Love & Trust. To celebrate, the Kindle version will be downloadable for FREE for two days only, August 17 & 18, at the link below. If you don't have a Kindle, you can download the Kindle smart phone or browser app for free.

The link below also has a good long excerpt from the novel via Amazon's Look Inside feature.

State of Love & Trust Novel on Amazon.
  • The Kindle version of my novel about some Pearl Jam fans, State of Love & Trust, is free for the next few days on Amazon as I celebrate the launch of my most recent novel (which isn't PJ related so I won't go into detail here.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KJBXZWE

Updated blurb:
    Diehard Pearl Jam fan Ellie returns from following the band’s 2006 U.S. tour with an unusual souvenir: another fan. Tall and tattooed Saint Wozniak, along with his dog Tremor Christ, soon move in. The snag? Her longtime boyfriend—who owns their home in Corktown—has no patience for Saint, his late-night hookups, or his out-of-control hound that’s on Animal Control’s most-wanted list.

As Ellie and Saint bond over their mutual obsession with Pearl Jam, their friendship crosses the line. She finds herself in a compromising situation that not even her personal philosophy—based on the Yield album—can resolve. 

Ellie will have to do this one herself.

State of Love & Trust is a tragicomic love triangle between music fans set in Detroit’s oldest neighborhood.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Congrats on your book! :clap:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024