recycled rubbish roads!

rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
Now that China no longer takes the majority of our recycling and our millions of roads in desperate need of repair this could be a winner!!
https://www.facebook.com/120462627634/posts/10156197635437635/

Comments

• Ofc the US don't know how to recycle their own trash.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Does any of the plastic leach back in to the ground?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Ofc the US don't know how to recycle their own trash.

Dude, it drives me fuckin nuts!  Recycling doesn't take a lot of effort.  About 5-6 years ago, my town finally got curbside recycling and every household was given a bin.  My apartment complex has 4 of them and I swear to god EVERY time I go to dump my recyclables those bins are full of fucking trash!  I'm hoping for the day I catch someone in the act of dropping their trash in them.  They will get the Dyer wrath!
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited December 2018
    Does any of the plastic leach back in to the ground?
    Into your lungs. Micro plastics are leaching into every aspect of our environment, including our bodies. Tires on roads emit them and they contribute to poor air quality. Roads made from same will only intensify the effects.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Into your lungs. Micro plastics are leaching into every aspect of our environment, including our bodies. Tires on roads emit them and they contribute to poor air quality. Roads made from same will only intensify the effects.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/22/microplastics-found-in-human-stools-for-the-first-time
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2018

Dude, it drives me fuckin nuts!  Recycling doesn't take a lot of effort.  About 5-6 years ago, my town finally got curbside recycling and every household was given a bin.  My apartment complex has 4 of them and I swear to god EVERY time I go to dump my recyclables those bins are full of fucking trash!  I'm hoping for the day I catch someone in the act of dropping their trash in them.  They will get the Dyer wrath!
    The current issue is not that there aren’t people recycling, but what to do with all of the paper and plastics that people send out for recycling since China is no longer accepting it. I posted a link in the Earth Day thread about this last week.  It saddens me to know that even the  I am diligent with putting my paper and plastics in the correct bins, they still end up in landfills due to there just being too much to process.  We need to find more things to do with it (such as build roads as suggested by OP).  I am definitely going to try composting a lot more paper now instead of putting it in bins.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/22/microplastics-found-in-human-stools-for-the-first-time
    This was the article I read the other day but I couldn't find it in a text thread and didn't have time to google. Thanks for the link. Maybe we'll all become plasticized robo-human hybrids in 50 years?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018

Yeah, it's bad. Canada is also lagging behind, although not quite as much. Still it's bad here too, and shameful. I personally think one of the main problems is pure laziness. People in North America HATE to feel inconvenienced, even a little bit. That's why so many people fucking drive 3 or 4 blocks to the corner store instead of walking and shit like that. It's pathetic. So when you ask the same people to wash their used containers and remove the label, that's apparently asking far too much. And we also have people who like to make up their own recycling rules. They act like they're angels and saints for actually bothering to put their shit into the recycling, but they refuse to clean or sort any of it properly, rendering most of their recyclables useless anyhow. And many others with better intentions simply don't know wtf they're doing, because the government is also completely failing at this. The education around how to properly recycle is BEYOND PATHETIC, so many are completely uninformed about what you can and can't recycle, how clean it needs to be, how it has to be sorted, etc (my guess is that at least 75% of people would actually fail a quiz on this, no joke. And 95% of those people would be shocked that they failed). Plus the government is refusing to force manufacturers to use only recyclable materials for packaging, which really pisses me off a lot. PLUS it's failing to push forward recycling depot projects so that facilities can handle certain materials that they can't handle now, and programs to reuse materials in more innovative ways. It's just not happening at a rate anywhere near what we need. And in many place, not at all.
    It's all insanely frustrating. And embarrassing that Europe is SO for ahead with all this. I have to assume that is because Europe is so densely populated compared to North America. They've felt the pressure of centuries already, so the cultures are way more open to all this there? Or maybe North Americans are just bigger greedy lazy fucks, I dunno.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, it's bad. Canada is also lagging behind, although not quite as much. Still it's bad here too, and shameful. I personally think one of the main problems is pure laziness. People in North America HATE to feel inconvenienced, even a little bit. That's why so many people fucking drive 3 or 4 blocks to the corner store instead of walking and shit like that. It's pathetic. So when you ask the same people to wash their used containers and remove the label, that's apparently asking far too much. And we also have people who like to make up their own recycling rules. They act like they're angels and saints for actually bothering to put their shit into the recycling, but they refuse to clean or sort any of it properly, rendering most of their recyclables useless anyhow. And many others with better intentions simply don't know wtf they're doing, because the government is also completely failing at this. The education around how to properly recycle is BEYOND PATHETIC, so many are completely uninformed about what you can and can't recycle, how clean it needs to be, how it has to be sorted, etc (my guess is that at least 75% of people would actually fail a quiz on this, no joke. And 95% of those people would be shocked that they failed). Plus the government is refusing to force manufacturers to use only recyclable materials for packaging, which really pisses me off a lot. PLUS it's failing to push forward recycling depot projects so that facilities can handle certain materials that they can't handle now, and programs to reuse materials in more innovative ways. It's just not happening at a rate anywhere near what we need. And in many place, not at all.
    It's all insanely frustrating. And embarrassing that Europe is SO for ahead with all this. I have to assume that is because Europe is so densely populated compared to North America. They've felt the pressure of centuries already, so the cultures are way more open to all this there? Or maybe North Americans are just bigger greedy lazy fucks, I dunno.

Maybe its time we introduce mandatory environmental education into the school's curriculum?  I spent 25 years working in schools, I worked in a lot of schools and only 1 had a top-notch environmental program, most of what you have pointed out as problems are problematic in the schools as.  Get the kids practicing good environmental practices and hopefully it will carry into adulthood...

It's also time for weekly recycling collection as well.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

Maybe its time we introduce mandatory environmental education into the school's curriculum?  I spent 25 years working in schools, I worked in a lot of schools and only 1 had a top-notch environmental program, most of what you have pointed out as problems are problematic in the schools as.  Get the kids practicing good environmental practices and hopefully it will carry into adulthood...

Wtf, you don't have weekly recycling collection either?? We have that here.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Every other week.  Trust me, Ontario is all not that progressive (nothing to with Ford).  The closest big city released a stat that only 2.3% of their residents take the bus to work...

You probably have an organic waste collection as well...I do not.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Every other week.  Trust me, Ontario is all not that progressive (nothing to with Ford).  The closest big city released a stat that only 2.3% of their residents take the bus to work...

You probably have an organic waste collection as well...I do not.
    Yes, there is now an organic waste program. Well, apparently Vancouver leads the herd in Canada when it comes to recycling in general, according to stats, but that isn't saying all that much. Not compared to places like Sweden and France, etc. Not even close. But that organic waste program is far from perfect. It's creating a rat problem for one thing, lol. And they really need to work on providing apartment-dwellers with adequate organic waste containers that don't reek up their entire home, and for those with yards, rodent-proof outdoor receptacles. Every household in metro Vancouver should be provided something like this, and proper organic waste disposal would probably increase by leaps and bounds. Yes, it would be an expense for the tax payers, but that's where we're at. We've all proven that these things simply cannot be left up to individual decisions and personal financial investment.
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505

we have random inspections in aus where they check your bins and issue fines if you dont recycle.
    we have 3 bins per household. green bin for organic waste. yellow bin for recycling and red for waste.
    Our local council built a a huge recycling faciltity at our local tip and there is also a recycling of household wares and every trailer is inspected and saleable items are put into the tip shop for resale to help fund the recycling facility.

edited December 2018
    we have 3 bins per household. green bin for organic waste. yellow bin for recycling and red for waste.
    Our local council built a a huge recycling faciltity at our local tip and there is also a recycling of household wares and every trailer is inspected and saleable items are put into the tip shop for resale to help fund the recycling facility.

We do have large recycling facilities (I happen to live right near one)... I gather there is a problem with a lot of people getting their shit there though. It's hard for folks without vehicles or trucks and a lack of money to get their crap to these facilities (I'm talking facilities for household appliances, mattresses, propane tanks, grills, etc etc etc. There is regular recycling pick up for cans and paper and all that). We have a pretty serious dumping problem in the region because of this. The cities are pretty busy just going around collecting dumped mattresses and furniture and old stoves, etc, especially around apartment buildings. Obviously most people don't even know that you can call the city and get them to come pick this shit up for free. Again, a failure in public education from the government. There should be radio and TV ads about such options, but there aren't.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

We do have large recycling facilities (I happen to live right near one)... I gather there is a problem with a lot of people getting their shit there though. It's hard for folks without vehicles or trucks and a lack of money to get their crap to these facilities (I'm talking facilities for household appliances, mattresses, propane tanks, grills, etc etc etc. There is regular recycling pick up for cans and paper and all that). We have a pretty serious dumping problem in the region because of this. The cities are pretty busy just going around collecting dumped mattresses and furniture and old stoves, etc, especially around apartment buildings. Obviously most people don't even know that you can call the city and get them to come pick this shit up for free. Again, a failure in public education from the government. There should be radio and TV ads about such options, but there aren't.
    we have 2 different free council pick ups a year for different councils for allocated goods to be thrown out. Its picked up by trucks to be sorted at the recycling plant. Most people raid the roadside pick ups and collect free stuff off the throw outs. We get pamphlets in the mail prior with instructions as to what can go out and when. Also a lot of our charities have trucks for free pick up for saleable items to be taken away. Problem also with the charities is people will dump their crap out the front and charities foot the bill for the junk to be taken to landfill. These people are usually shamed in the local newspapers for doing the wrong thing and can be prosecuted if found.
    we also have local initiatives like take 3 for the sea when visiting beaches to take 3 pieces of rubbish with you when you leave. Local beach cafes also have buckets to collect rubbish and receive a free coffee when you return your bucket. 
    Post edited by rhanishane on
    2 pick ups a YEAR?? So what about when someone needs to chuck a big item between the two pick ups? Someone who lives in a small apartment can't hold on to such items for months like that. Of course they're going to find alternatives our of desperation. I dunno, I'm of two minds. I think it's terrible to dump anything, first. But I also do empathize with those who don't have options for this. I looked up how expensive it is to call a rubbish pick up and disposal company, and it's definitely too expensive for many to consider. I'm talking over $100 just to have a mattress removed. That's insane. I think the best solution would be for multi-tenant buildings to work with their cities on this. Say for a block of apartments, they decide upon on large item drop off spot, and then the city have an arrangement to come and do a weekly pick up.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    And don't buy plastic shit yourselves.  No bags, no bottles
    we are a throw away society. things are deliberately not built to last anymore its a vicious cycle. Most of my belongings are second hand including clothing. Clothing companies are one of the biggest polluters and the fibres from fabric are also choking the environment. 
    our 2 largest supermarkets coles and woolworths have stopped giving out plastic bags finally. in 3 months they have reduced the amount of bags entering landill by 80%
    PJ_Soul said:
    2 pick ups a YEAR?? So what about when someone needs to chuck a big item between the two pick ups? Someone who lives in a small apartment can't hold on to such items for months like that. Of course they're going to find alternatives our of desperation. I dunno, I'm of two minds. I think it's terrible to dump anything, first. But I also do empathize with those who don't have options for this. I looked up how expensive it is to call a rubbish pick up and disposal company, and it's definitely too expensive for many to consider. I'm talking over $100 just to have a mattress removed. That's insane. I think the best solution would be for multi-tenant buildings to work with their cities on this. Say for a block of apartments, they decide upon on large item drop off spot, and then the city have an arrangement to come and do a weekly pick up.
    most maintenance companies will take away things at a cost. Sometimes you have to be responsible for the removal of your own items at times i guess when its not available for free. Im what you would call living in regional and coastal so im not based near a large city. A lot of my friends will find dumping grounds and take their vehicles collect it sort it and remove it.  If they find evidence among the rubbish iys reported to police and people have been prosecuted as a result. Everyone has to do their bit even if its picking up after the scumbags who dump it. I also know our shopping centres have 3 part recycling bins in place but the whole lot goes into a compacter and none of it is recycled.  Its just for their EPA ratings. Big  businesses are corrupt while making out they are doing the right thing. We had a series on sbs tv not long ago called war against waste and they placed a gps in a facility that collects your unwanted shopping bags for recycling. It was followed to a warehouse that claimed no plastic bags were recycled there? 
    At the biggest Mall in my area, the food court has 2 sorting stations in which you bring your tray when finished and they have people who do the sorting,,,
    Give Peas A Chance…
    At the biggest Mall in my area, the food court has 2 sorting stations in which you bring your tray when finished and they have people who do the sorting,,,
    Yeah, they brought that into the biggest malls here too, a few years ago I guess. I like it. And it creates a few jobs too.
  • our 2 largest supermarkets coles and woolworths have stopped giving out plastic bags finally. in 3 months they have reduced the amount of bags entering landill by 80%
    Holy cow you guys still have Woolworths out there!?!
    our 2 largest supermarkets coles and woolworths have stopped giving out plastic bags finally. in 3 months they have reduced the amount of bags entering landill by 80%
    Yeah, that is surprising. I had no idea..... How is Sears doing in Australia?
    PJ_Soul said:
    What about Zeller's? 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    What about Zeller's? 
    And SAAN. :lol:
    sears, zellers, zaan??????? maybe heard of sears.... back in the 80's lol
  • OK so I do remember taking my ACI concrete test in Columbia university in 07 or so and they were designing roads with recycled glass in their labs and it was mainly being done in the Caribbean island roads.  I thought that was neat.

Not sure if they continued it or not...
    sears, zellers, zaan??????? maybe heard of sears.... back in the 80's lol
    Those are retailers that are now out of business.  Maybe Sears is still operating in the US, I'm not sure.
    Give Peas A Chance…