Options

Concerning the lack of energy at recent shows...

fukmeinthebrainfukmeinthebrain Posts: 10
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Its been almost a week now since Albany, and I still can't help but shake the feeling that something was just....OFF that night.

Now, first of all, I realize that concert experiences and feelings are totally subjective, but this is just how I felt.

I was sitting sidestage, about 20 rows up, and from where I was, I could see the whole arena...The floor, the nosebleeds, the whole stage, everything. The one thing I saw and, more importantly, FELT all night, was a lack of energy. I don't just mean physical "jumping up and down" energy, although the crowd seemed to lack that, too.

A Pearl Jam show is truly like an orgy. Usually, it is an experience in group mind. The show builds and builds and the crowd and band become one and there are such tremendous feelings of mutual respect, love, pure emotion...If you've been to a Pearl Jam show, you know what I mean. It just gives you goosebumps, makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Its THAT special.

It is precisely THAT energy which I felt was missing from the Albany show. Now, don't get me wrong, there were certainly quite a few people rocking out, totally digging it. But they were the minority, by far. Not only were people all around me sitting down for the WHOLE SHOW, but many throughout the arena just seemed bored, or, at the very least, disconnected. That deep, almost spiritual connection thats usually present between the whole crowd and the band just...wasn't there. Again, I realize there were some people (including myself) that WERE dancing, singing at the top of their lungs, having a great time...But something was just DIFFERENT this time.

I've felt this way since I saw the show, but I thought maybe I was the only one. But now that i've seen some others on this board mention it, and even "so-and-so from the ten club" mention it, I can't ignore it anymore.

It started with the crowd, and seemed to spread to the band. Its not that the band wasn't into it, because they certainly rocked the roof off the Pepsi Arena. But they DEFINITELY seemed affected by the disconnectedness. Sure, there were singalongs during the hits, but thats to be expected. Overall, the band just didn't seem to be feeling it. Even as I type this, I'm listening to the Mansfield 03 boot, and you can just HEAR the energy through the speakers. and its not just Mansfield, its mostly any show. This tour, things just seem different.

Overall, the band and fans seem TIRED this tour. Just not into it.

I've been trying to imagine what could be the cause of this tiredness and lack of connectedness, and i could only think of the following:

it COULD be that, The past few tours, its been just the diehards. Riot Act and Binaural were not big "radio" albums, so just the hardcore fans were coming out to support the band. Now, the band has seen sort of a re-emergence into mainstream radio, and with that comes a new (or old, like circa '92) group of fans. Because of this, there is a lack of that family-like familiarity, those close ties.

OR, it could be simply that there are too many different tastes to please. As Ed said in Albany, some want the rarities, some just want hits, some want to hear the new album, some even just want tons of covers. in an arena holding 20,000 people, you definitely can't please everyone.

It could even be that, as someone else said, PJ fans are just becoming too spoiled, too jaded, too demanding. Rather than being happy with whatever setlist they get, they shout demands. Many times, these demands are just plain rude. Its been beat to death already, but when you hear fans shouting "Play Leash you fucking pussies"...well, thats just disrespectful. And it ISN'T just Leash. Folks, the band is hearing, all at once, hundreds of different song titles being shouted at them...What are they supposed to do about it?

Anyway, I guess my rant is done, and I'm still no closer to knowing why the Albany show seemed the way it did.

my question is this: did anyone else notice this phenomenon at the Albany show, or really any show this tour for that matter? and if so, what do you think is causing it?

Overall, I enjoyed the show thuroughly, but the crowd reactions (or lack thereof) really brought me down a few pegs.

What say you?
"The only people for me are the mad ones!" - Jack Kerouac

"Ger was a brave friend." -BhagavadGita
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    Gotta say that I was 8th row and couldn't disagree with you more. I've been to 11 shows and Friday in Albany had perhaps the best crowd energy of any show I've been to.

Thats just my .02 cents though, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
  • Options
    Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 856
    Good post, but I'll have to wait until Cleveland this Friday to give a better opinion. I've only listened to the Albany boot, the energy sounded good on the boot, so I don't really know.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon