Options

Trade 2018 Seattle Klausen (or others) for your old vintage receiver?

Trade 2018 Seattle Klausen (or others) for your old vintage receiver? Free up that shelf space!

Matt

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    edited November 2018
    Rival178 said:
    Trade 2018 Seattle Klausen (or others) for your old vintage receiver? Free up that shelf space!

Matt
    Just a word, I'm sure you already know this OP, but it would cost quite a bit to send a vintage receiver in the mail due to weight. There's also the matter of inheriting aged electronics which might require you to 1) know how to swap out those parts on your own 2) know a good shop that can help.
    A few years back I got all enamored with vintage receivers myself, went out and bought an old 70s something for like $100, brought it back, and a few days later the tubes fried along with the circuit board and I couldn't find a soul to fix it. That was it for me. I saved up for a few years and bought a Marantz and I can tell you it BLOWS away whatever 'vintage' sound that other one had, or any modern receiver I'd had to date.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Also, speakers are, IMHO, where it's really at. A good pair of B&Ws would knock your socks off.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    Image result for BUZZKILL MEME
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Image result for BUZZKILL MEME
    idea volunteer GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Rival178Rival178 Posts: 608
    Rival178 said:

Matt
    Just a word, I'm sure you already know this OP, but it would cost quite a bit to send a vintage receiver in the mail due to weight. There's also the matter of inheriting aged electronics which might require you to 1) know how to swap out those parts on your own 2) know a good shop that can help.
    A few years back I got all enamored with vintage receivers myself, went out and bought an old 70s something for like $100, brought it back, and a few days later the tubes fried along with the circuit board and I couldn't find a soul to fix it. That was it for me. I saved up for a few years and bought a Marantz and I can tell you it BLOWS away whatever 'vintage' sound that other one had, or any modern receiver I'd had to date.
    I'm not looking that old, no tubes .I'm looking at 70's.
  • Options
    Rival178 said:
    Rival178 said:

Matt
    I'm not looking that old, no tubes .I'm looking at 70's.
    Cool man! Best of luck with your hunt! : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    Not sure where you live, but you might want to check out the thrift shops. Places like Savers, Salvation Army, VOA, Veteran's shops--they often have old equipment. If you're serious about finding some good stuff, and money to ship isn't a huge concern, contact The Record Archive. They stock a pretty regular selection of older hi-fi. I was just there a few days ago and had to wipe the drool off a very vintage McIntosh receiver.