Your 3 all-time favourite songs (other than PJ)

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I like opining, but don't use Spotify.  Do you have a Third Man Vault membership?  We get dirt cheap Tidal MQA memberships with that.  I'm going to start using it because MQA is supposedly amazing sounding.  
    If you just register you can access this playlist and any other public one for free, FYI. Not saying you want to, but just mentioning in case you weren't aware of that.
    I go on and off the TMR vault membership, depending on the Vault. But even if I didn't, I'm in LOVE with Spotify. I'd never trade it for anything else at this point. Especially not since I've got about 15,000 songs in my library/library spillover lists already, with several more every week, and a pile of playlists, and am following probably 200 artists on it. I'm in for life now, lol. I just have to pray that Spotify never goes away. :tongue:
    I have to agree with your love for Spotify. I have so much music in my library, including playlists, and it is what I listen to the majority of the time. I've been able to find just about anything I want on there.And when I go to an artist's site, I love the 'Fans Also Like' option. I find so many new artists that way. And you can get merch and get notified when they are touring, ticket on sale times, etc. 

Making a playlist for certain musical genres or moods or activities with just about any song of which you can think is wonderful and I download them on my laptop so I don't get any problems with streaming blips. (But they are still owned by Spotify in this case).

There is a legal way to copy all of your Spotify stuff to your computer or whatever device that can hold the GB or TB's and then you have that music even if Spotify were to go away. I can explain it to you sometime if you want. I have a migraine today, but let me know if you're interested in doing that. I haven't yet, but my laptop can handle the volume and want to start copying files in batches. 

I have never done the Third Man thing - I see people talking about Third Man all the time but I'm not really sure what it is and I've never read up on the threads. I"m guessing it's a streaming service with concerts in their vault. I'm stretching my budget with subscriptions so Netflix and Spotify with Hulu are my picks. 
    Yes, one of the best things about Spotify is how it curates music for you that you haven't heard. The "Fans also like" option as you pointed out, the artist radio feature for everyone (gives you a constantly updated playlist of music for that artist and music that is similar), the discover weekly list and the release radar list are where I find almost ALL new music now... And every playlist also has a "suggested playlist" at the bottom of it, which gives you other songs that would fit well into that list but that you maybe didn't think of or never heard. I also love the Shazam list. Whenever I Shazam any song with my phone, that song is automatically added to a Spotify playlist called "My Shazam Tracks". It's awesome. I seriously can't imagine being a music fan without Spotify Premium anymore. As I always say, it's the best $10 I spend every month.

No, Third Man Records is Jack White's record label, and he's very active with it. If you subscribe to the Vault, that means you pay quarterly for a unique vinyl release (often comes with goodies too) produced by Jack White/TMR. It's most often stuff related to The White Stripes, Jack White solo, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather, but sometimes it's for other artists from his label. You must remember when PJ went to TMR and they recorded that record with Jack? And then TMR made that one of the Vaults? 10C gave us a deal on it when that happened and it was in the newsletter and everything.

All true, but also the Vault membership gives you a Tidal membership for $5 per month.  it's normally $20.  Tidal transmits in MQA format, which is Master quality authentication.  This is super high resolution audio.  I've invested a ton of money in my audio system, so I'm a snob (I admit) about sound quality.  Spotify, Pandora and even XM transmit in low quality lossy audio.  I'm in the market to get a new DAC that supports MQA so that I can take advantage of the Tidal membership.  I haven't yet because I don't have a way to decode it today.  My current DAC is excellent, but too old for that format.  
    I can see how if you invested in an expensive car stereo this would matter to you. I'm just bopping along with my Galaxy S9+ and Samsung earbuds (all quality of course - music sounds good, but we're not talking hi-def audiophile shit), so that isn't going to matter to me. And I listen to vinyl at home exclusively.
    Right, when listening to your phone or almost any other source, the phone is the low grade in the chain, regardless of the file quality.  I'm about 50/50 on vinyl to digital at home.  And it's not my car, it's my home that i'm talking about.  Car stereos are pretty poor today, but XM is so bad you can barely tell anymore.  In fact, PJ radio is just...awful.  I don't know why that station in particular has such bad fidelity.  It's been that way for about two years.  Sorry for the rant.  Carry on.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I like opining, but don't use Spotify.  Do you have a Third Man Vault membership?  We get dirt cheap Tidal MQA memberships with that.  I'm going to start using it because MQA is supposedly amazing sounding.  
    If you just register you can access this playlist and any other public one for free, FYI. Not saying you want to, but just mentioning in case you weren't aware of that.
    I go on and off the TMR vault membership, depending on the Vault. But even if I didn't, I'm in LOVE with Spotify. I'd never trade it for anything else at this point. Especially not since I've got about 15,000 songs in my library/library spillover lists already, with several more every week, and a pile of playlists, and am following probably 200 artists on it. I'm in for life now, lol. I just have to pray that Spotify never goes away. :tongue:
    I have to agree with your love for Spotify. I have so much music in my library, including playlists, and it is what I listen to the majority of the time. I've been able to find just about anything I want on there.And when I go to an artist's site, I love the 'Fans Also Like' option. I find so many new artists that way. And you can get merch and get notified when they are touring, ticket on sale times, etc. 

Making a playlist for certain musical genres or moods or activities with just about any song of which you can think is wonderful and I download them on my laptop so I don't get any problems with streaming blips. (But they are still owned by Spotify in this case).

There is a legal way to copy all of your Spotify stuff to your computer or whatever device that can hold the GB or TB's and then you have that music even if Spotify were to go away. I can explain it to you sometime if you want. I have a migraine today, but let me know if you're interested in doing that. I haven't yet, but my laptop can handle the volume and want to start copying files in batches. 

I have never done the Third Man thing - I see people talking about Third Man all the time but I'm not really sure what it is and I've never read up on the threads. I"m guessing it's a streaming service with concerts in their vault. I'm stretching my budget with subscriptions so Netflix and Spotify with Hulu are my picks. 
    Yes, one of the best things about Spotify is how it curates music for you that you haven't heard. The "Fans also like" option as you pointed out, the artist radio feature for everyone (gives you a constantly updated playlist of music for that artist and music that is similar), the discover weekly list and the release radar list are where I find almost ALL new music now... And every playlist also has a "suggested playlist" at the bottom of it, which gives you other songs that would fit well into that list but that you maybe didn't think of or never heard. I also love the Shazam list. Whenever I Shazam any song with my phone, that song is automatically added to a Spotify playlist called "My Shazam Tracks". It's awesome. I seriously can't imagine being a music fan without Spotify Premium anymore. As I always say, it's the best $10 I spend every month.

No, Third Man Records is Jack White's record label, and he's very active with it. If you subscribe to the Vault, that means you pay quarterly for a unique vinyl release (often comes with goodies too) produced by Jack White/TMR. It's most often stuff related to The White Stripes, Jack White solo, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather, but sometimes it's for other artists from his label. You must remember when PJ went to TMR and they recorded that record with Jack? And then TMR made that one of the Vaults? 10C gave us a deal on it when that happened and it was in the newsletter and everything.

All true, but also the Vault membership gives you a Tidal membership for $5 per month.  it's normally $20.  Tidal transmits in MQA format, which is Master quality authentication.  This is super high resolution audio.  I've invested a ton of money in my audio system, so I'm a snob (I admit) about sound quality.  Spotify, Pandora and even XM transmit in low quality lossy audio.  I'm in the market to get a new DAC that supports MQA so that I can take advantage of the Tidal membership.  I haven't yet because I don't have a way to decode it today.  My current DAC is excellent, but too old for that format.  
    I can see how if you invested in an expensive car stereo this would matter to you. I'm just bopping along with my Galaxy S9+ and Samsung earbuds (all quality of course - music sounds good, but we're not talking hi-def audiophile shit), so that isn't going to matter to me. And I listen to vinyl at home exclusively.
    I have the same phone. It must be the birthday connection.  I like over the ear or on ear Bluetooth headphones. Samsung earbuds are the best ones I've tried, but I really don't like the feel of ear buds. 

I do not have a record player or stereo system  though I have lots of old vinyl and some new. That will take awhile to put together.

I connect my phone to my car stereo with the cheap cassette thing and that's how I listen to music in my car. I have the stereo that came with my car. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    The Spotify/Hulu deal is awesome... Hulu is not available in Canada though. It really sucks. I don't understand why in the fuck Hulu wouldn't be in Canada. We'd be all over it, just like we are Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Maybe the Canadian cable companies are bribing them to stay away, lol. If the trifecta is achieved here, so many more of us will unplug completely from the cable companies.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Spotify/Hulu deal is awesome... Hulu is not available in Canada though. It really sucks. I don't understand why in the fuck Hulu wouldn't be in Canada. We'd be all over it, just like we are Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Maybe the Canadian cable companies are bribing them to stay away, lol. If the trifecta is achieved here, so many more of us will unplug completely from the cable companies.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh yeah, I have Amazon Prime too. I signed up years ago when it was 25/year, now it's over 100. 

I'm trying to figure out a way to just use streaming and get rid of my DirecTV. I have no beef with their service, except that it costs over 200.00 a month and I just can't afford it. Hulu has a live TV option for 40.00 a month. It's got news, sports and NatGeo, AMC and a couple more. I'm happy with the Hulu deal I have right now, but I'm figuring out if I could cut the cord with cable with all three services available to me. My son doesn't watch broadcast TV as it is. So I'd just have to make sure my mom could be hooked up so she could cast to the TV set, and that they have the channels that she watches. That would be a great help to lose that monthly bill.

Sorry for losing thread integrity. 

1. Tangled Up In Blue - Dylan
    2. Up On The Roof - James Taylor
    3. Natural Woman - Carole King
    I don't know if you are a Stones fan, but I'm a big fan of their non-hits.  Here are three of my favorite from their Golden Era when they rolled off 4 amazing albums in a row:
    1. Stray Cat Blues
    2. Torn and Frayed
    3. Salt of the Earth
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    "Venus in Furs," The Velvet Underground
    "Candle," Sonic Youth
    "A Forest," The Cure
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    So sayeth wiki:
    Hulu is unable to launch in Canada due to the relatively small size of Canada's online advertising market and because Canada's television networks already have the exclusive online streaming rights in Canada to several titles offered on Hulu, including many mainstream American television network programs. The absence of Hulu in the Canadian market raised concerns by fans of the sitcom The Mindy Project when it was cancelled by Fox in the spring of 2015 and subsequently picked up by Hulu; the show's Canadian broadcaster, City, subsequently announced it would continue to air the series in Canada. At present, Canadian consumers have access to several other streaming systems, including a Canadian version of Netflix, Amazon Video, and CraveTV, with CraveTV streaming some programming from Hulu.
    PJ_Soul said:
    So sayeth wiki:
    Hulu is unable to launch in Canada due to the relatively small size of Canada's online advertising market and because Canada's television networks already have the exclusive online streaming rights in Canada to several titles offered on Hulu, including many mainstream American television network programs. The absence of Hulu in the Canadian market raised concerns by fans of the sitcom The Mindy Project when it was cancelled by Fox in the spring of 2015 and subsequently picked up by Hulu; the show's Canadian broadcaster, City, subsequently announced it would continue to air the series in Canada. At present, Canadian consumers have access to several other streaming systems, including a Canadian version of Netflix, Amazon Video, and CraveTV, with CraveTV streaming some programming from Hulu.
    Yeeaaahh. It sucks. And I want to know wtf those networks that supposedly already have the rights are doing, because I'm not seeing much. Although I know Bravo aired The Handmaids Tale (I had to fucking subscribe to the channel while the show was airing). And while I have rejected Crave TV so far, I was thinking about it again just this morning when I saw on the news that some awesome looking new show that's coming out will be on it. But yet another $10/month? I dunno... Not a lot alone, but it's always just more and more. Trying to think about what else I can cut without losing basic cable.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    So sayeth wiki:
    Yeeaaahh. It sucks. And I want to know wtf those networks that supposedly already have the rights are doing, because I'm not seeing much. Although I know Bravo aired The Handmaids Tale (I had to fucking subscribe to the channel while the show was airing). And while I have rejected Crave TV so far, I was thinking about it again just this morning when I saw on the news that some awesome looking new show that's coming out will be on it. But yet another $10/month? I dunno... Not a lot alone, but it's always just more and more. Trying to think about what else I can cut without losing basic cable.
    So sayeth wiki - :lol: that tickled me.

Hulu will find its way into Canada eventually, but it sucks to have to subscribe to a channel just to watch one show. I know what you mean about 'only 10', but those 10's add up eventually. I hate paying over 200 for cable - I cannot afford it and it is a ridiculous amount of money, especially since I have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. I think part of my problem is just being used to watching TV. I didn't grow up watching TV on a computer. My son has no use for TV, there is no genie (cable box) in his room. So I need to make sure I can watch my News and shows that I love and then cut the cord somehow.  It's change and I think that's what is keeping me from getting rid of that ridiculous satellite TV bill. 

Thread integrity - 

Sweet Oblivious Antidote - Perpetual Groove
    City On Down - O.A.R. 
    Flying Horses - Dispatch
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't know if you are a Stones fan, but I'm a big fan of their non-hits.  Here are three of my favorite from their Golden Era when they rolled off 4 amazing albums in a row:
    1. Stray Cat Blues
    2. Torn and Frayed
    3. Salt of the Earth
    Those four albums are incredible (as are those three songs)...although I do like the hits!
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Stray Cat Blues
    2. Torn and Frayed
    3. Salt of the Earth
    Those four albums are incredible (as are those three songs)...although I do like the hits!
    I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey!
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Stray Cat Blues
    2. Torn and Frayed
    3. Salt of the Earth
    Let it Bleed, Beggars, Exile, and Sticky Fingers... I can listen to all four end to end and not even notice where the time went.  I get completely absorbed into them.  
    njnancy said:
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Stray Cat Blues
    2. Torn and Frayed
    3. Salt of the Earth
    Definitely not disparaging the hits.. Tumbling Dice is one of the greatest songs ever, but like PJ, the deeper you go into the records, they better they are.  
    Y'all motherfuckers forced my hand:

"Sister Morphine," The Rolling Stones
    "Sway," The Rolling Stones
    "Sweet Virginia," The Rolling Stones

Extra credit: "Dead Flowers," The Rolling Stones
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Love all four of those songs.. There's such an irony because I hate country, but I love country rock like the Stones, NY, the Dead, Petty, etc.  The Stones did country so well, especially Dead Flowers and Sweet Virginia.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Love all four of those songs.. There's such an irony because I hate country, but I love country rock like the Stones, NY, the Dead, Petty, etc.  The Stones did country so well, especially Dead Flowers and Sweet Virginia.  
    Definitely agree that any band's 'deeper cuts are where the genius exists. I was never a huge Stones' fan, but my brother was. Reading your post about them just brought that song screaming into my head. FWIW, my favorite Stone's album is Goat's Head Soup.

Country is a different animal entirely. You are a Jam Bad & Southern Rock fan. Lots of good stuff in there. Stones are more of a bluesy rock, though their catalog is by no means monolithic. 
    3 of my favorite country songs:
    Eddie Rabbitt - Drivin' My Life Away
    Dwight Yoakam - A Thousand Miles from Nowhere
    Kacey Musgraves - Merry Go 'Round
    3 of my favorite country songs:
    Eddie Rabbitt - Drivin' My Life Away
    Dwight Yoakam - A Thousand Miles from Nowhere
    Kacey Musgraves - Merry Go 'Round
    Mine are...

Heard it in a love song - Marshal Tucker Band
    Amie - Pure Prairie League
    Flirtin' with Disaster - Molly Hatchet

Those count, right?
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    mrussel1 said: Those count, right?
    Definitely! :smile:

1) Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - You Found Another Lover (I Lost Another Friend)

2) Neil Young - Too Far Gone

3) The Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    I like the love for Dead Flowers.  It's so countrified and Mick is really embellishing the twang, but it's such a great song.  
    edited November 2018
    Oh crikies. Now we're getting into country music?! SIGH. Fine. :neutral:

=) (but I did mean it :lol: )

And FYI, we've got just about every good song from Sticky Fingers on this playlist now already, so they're likely going to be duplicates at this point, lol. And to round it off, I threw Wild Horses on there too, because I love that song. :)

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Stray Cat Blues
    2. Torn and Frayed
    3. Salt of the Earth
    Definitely not disparaging the hits.. Tumbling Dice is one of the greatest songs ever, but like PJ, the deeper you go into the records, they better they are.  
    Gimme Shelter is awesome but I guess it's been pretty played out by this point...same goes with Jumpin' Jack Flash (not actually on one of those records) and Sympathy for the Devil.

Which do you prefer: Honky Tonk Woman or Country Honk?
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Stray Cat Blues
    2. Torn and Frayed
    3. Salt of the Earth
    Gimme Shelter is awesome but I guess it's been pretty played out by this point...same goes with Jumpin' Jack Flash (not actually on one of those records) and Sympathy for the Devil.

Great question! Country Honk just because it's on Let It Bleed and I love playing that album end to end.  Plus we've all heard Honky Tonk a million and one times.  
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Stray Cat Blues
    2. Torn and Frayed
    3. Salt of the Earth

Great question! Country Honk just because it's on Let It Bleed and I love playing that album end to end.  Plus we've all heard Honky Tonk a million and one times.  
    My introduction to The Stones was via Hot Rocks (and later, More Hot Rocks ... and even later, Rewind) on cassette/CD. That second disc was perfection to me. So many classics. However, I will admit that 30 years (!) later that most of those songs have reached their saturation point with me and I prefer listening to them within the context of their respective albums. 
    I tend to "attach" JJF to Beggar's Banquet and HTW to Let It Bleed for the sake of "completion."
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Stray Cat Blues
    2. Torn and Frayed
    3. Salt of the Earth

My introduction to The Stones was via Hot Rocks (and later, More Hot Rocks ... and even later, Rewind) on cassette/CD. That second disc was perfection to me. So many classics. However, I will admit that 30 years (!) later that most of those songs have reached their saturation point with me and I prefer listening to them within the context of their respective albums. 
    I tend to "attach" JJF to Beggar's Banquet and HTW to Let It Bleed for the sake of "completion."
    I think that's how I got into the Stones too, radio to Hot Rocks to Rewind.  I have the original Hot Rocks LP and I know there's an excellent "clearly vinyl" reissue, but I never listen to them.  The only way I listen to the Stones is via album straight through.  I'm sure none of us listen to Rearview Mirror either, for exactly the same reason.  It seems improper.  
    "Dawn's Early Light" -- Yonder Mountain String Band
    "I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)" -- Otis Redding
    "Farther Along" -- Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Need to counter all of the Stones love recently with some deeper Beatles tracks.

Things We Said Today
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    Need to counter all of the Stones love recently with some deeper Beatles tracks.

Things We Said Today
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    I'll never understand why Happiness Is A Warm Gun was left off of The Blue Album. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh crikies. Now we're getting into country music?! SIGH. Fine. :neutral:

=) (but I did mean it :lol: )

And FYI, we've got just about every good song from Sticky Fingers on this playlist now already, so they're likely going to be duplicates at this point, lol. And to round it off, I threw Wild Horses on there too, because I love that song. :)

That reminds me, three of my favorite covers:
    The Sundays - Wild Horses
    Travis - ...Baby One More Time
    Nofx - Go Your Own Way