Your 3 all-time favourite songs (other than PJ)

Comments

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
    Sister Christian - Night Ranger
    Carrie - Europe
    You included one of my neglected children (Sister Christian), thank you!!
    Mine were tongue in cheek... I never understood why the girl's name was Christian though.  
    I was wondering about Ted Nugent but I did see him on the NY piers back in the 80's or 90's so...Christian is the singer's sister - Christy. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Carrie - Europe
    Mine were tongue in cheek... I never understood why the girl's name was Christian though.  
    I was wondering about Ted Nugent but I did see him on the NY piers back in the 80's or 90's so...Christian is the singer's sister - Christy. 
    Ah... very good.  Thank you.  I didn't know that.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Carrie - Europe
    Kay, no more of that buddy - we're trying to actually make a great playlist, lol! And I'm putting every single song suggested in this thread on it. Now we have Ted Nugent on it. Thanks a lot. :angry: But Sister Christian is really good IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Carrie - Europe
    Kay, no more of that buddy - we're trying to actually make a great playlist, lol! And I'm putting every single song suggested in this thread on it. Now we have Ted Nugent on it. Thanks a lot. :angry: But Sister Christian is really good IMO.
    At least they didn't choose Wang Dang Sweet Poontang. for Nugent. That might have ruined thread integrity. :wink:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Carrie - Europe
    At least they didn't choose Wang Dang Sweet Poontang. for Nugent. That might have ruined thread integrity. :wink:
    :lol: I'll draw a line if I really have to!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Carrie - Europe
    my bad!  I didn't realize you were doing that.. I have plenty more but they will all be legit from now on. 
    Although... considering I know how politically astute you are, and you should know where I stand... maybe you should have figured that one out.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Although... considering I know how politically astute you are, and you should know where I stand... maybe you should have figured that one out.  
    I did put some thought into it and thought it was possible that you were full of it, lol, but then decided that it was only my job to build the playlist by adding all suggestions, not to judge the song selections or play a guessing game about whether or not someone is serious. :lol: And I really do like Sister Christian!
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I did put some thought into it and thought it was possible that you were full of it, lol, but then decided that it was only my job to build the playlist by adding all suggestions, not to judge the song selections or play a guessing game about whether or not someone is serious. :lol: And I really do like Sister Christian!
    I love following your list on Spotify, it just gets better and betterer. :smiley:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I love following your list on Spotify, it just gets better and betterer. :smiley:
    I'm a bit surprised to see that you're the only one following it (I assume - it has only 1 follower, so it must be you!). Have most people simply not realized the magic of Spotify playlists? ;)
    Journey Through the Past.. Neil
    You've Got Her In your Pocket...  WS
    Let It Bleed... Stones

Actually you could just add the whole album Let It Bleed and you'd be in good shape. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Let It Bleed... Stones

Actually you could just add the whole album Let It Bleed and you'd be in good shape. 
    Good call on the WS - not enough of them on this list yet!
    Watching the Wheels - John Lennon
    Waiting for the Miracle - Leonard Cohen
    Crazy Love - Van Morrison
    mrussel1 said:
    Let It Bleed... Stones

My late brother had a tattoo with Let It Bleed on a banner over the Stones' tongue on his back shoulder for most of his short life. At his wake, my late sister and I had flowers in the shape of a tongue with "Miss You' on a banner.across it. He would have liked that. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm a bit surprised to see that you're the only one following it (I assume - it has only 1 follower, so it must be you!). Have most people simply not realized the magic of Spotify playlists? ;)
    That follower would be me!  Spotify playlists are awesome. I had one for years that just included every single song that I liked. I then started creating playlists that were for certain moods/genres/bands. I have 9 followers for one of my playlists. It's not much and really means nothing, but it makes me feel good. LOL
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Let It Bleed... Stones

My late brother had a tattoo with Let It Bleed on a banner over the Stones' tongue on his back shoulder for most of his short life. At his wake, my late sister and I had flowers in the shape of a tongue with "Miss You' on a banner.across it. He would have liked that. 
    Sorry about your brother. He had excellent taste obviously. 
    Ripple.. Grateful Dead
    It's Good to be King.. Tom Petty
    Thunder Road.. Bruce..  but search for the live version from the Hammersmith Odeon. Of the thousands of songs I know,  this song has the best lyrics.  It's pure poetry and more lyrics than most would write on an entire album. 
    edited November 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    Ripple.. Grateful Dead
    Thunder Road.. Bruce..  but search for the live version from the Hammersmith Odeon. Of the thousands of songs I know,  this song has the best lyrics.  It's pure poetry and more lyrics than most would write on an entire album. 
    Awesome picks!!  The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves, like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays Roy Orbison singing for the lonely......   There is so much imagery in just the beginning of the song. And live makes it a spiritual experience.

Ripple is just a damn classic. My GD pick was Box of Rain but I have no quarrel with this (St. Stephens in there too...)
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    That Alfred Molina scene in Boogie Nights with "Sister Christian" (and "Jesse's Girl") is one of the best five minutes of 1990s cinema.

"I Think That I Would Die," Hole
    "Fearless," Pink Floyd
    "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg," Ramones
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ripple.. Grateful Dead
    Awesome picks!!  The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves, like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays Roy Orbison singing for the lonely......   There is so much imagery in just the beginning of the song. And live makes it a spiritual experience.

Ripple is just a damn classic. My GD pick was Box of Rain but I have no quarrel with this (St. Stephens in there too...)
    The whole song, you can see unfolding before you clear as day.  That's the genius of Bruce.  The River, Glory Days, so many of his songs are as vivid as life itself.  
    And yes, I could have gone Box of Rain, Friend of the Devil, Operator, basically anything from American Beauty.  It so happened I was listening to AB on my way home from work and Ripple was the last song I heard.
    Not Dark Yet - Bob Dylan
    Epic Problem - Fugazi
    Grace, Too - The Tragically Hip

PJ_Soul said:
    Not Dark Yet - Bob Dylan
    Epic Problem - Fugazi

Love the Dylan.. Fugazi I haven't listened to since high school.  I should start again.
    What's the story on the Hip?  It's such a Canadian thing, but I feel like I missed out on it.  
    edited November 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not Dark Yet - Bob Dylan
    Epic Problem - Fugazi

Love the Dylan.. Fugazi I haven't listened to since high school.  I should start again.
    What's the story on the Hip?  It's such a Canadian thing, but I feel like I missed out on it.  
    The story of The Hip is hard to tell, because it's so mixed with emotion and, well, I dunno, the Canadian soul, in a way that no other artist has ever been or ever will be IMO. But what is easy to say is that they are a fucking amazing band (and were one of the best live shows out there, easily competing with PJ as far as that goes), with an incredible diverse catalogue that goes back to the late 80s, lead by an unusually unique vocalist-poet who also happens to arguably be the greatest lyricist in all of modern music. Yes, far better than Eddie Vedder in that context. And I think better than Bob Dylan as well. And then the sad, sad end to the story is that he, Gord Downie, died of a brain tumour last year. He made music almost right up to the end, and also spent most of his energy during that time working for reconciliation for and solidarity with Canada's Indigenous people. He was beyond one of a kind, in the world, not just Canada. And The Hip also achieved the rare greatness of being a band that lasted for nearly 30 years with ALL of its original members, and kept making great music the entire time.

And to top off this Hip rant, lol, I have to add 3 more Hip songs to this playlist, but really, anyone curious about The Hip have to just start listening to their massive catalogue from the beginning and not stop until the end, lol:
    Wheat Kings
    Ahead by a Century
    Nautical Disaster

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited November 2018
    njnancy said:
    MayDay10 said:
    3 songs?!~

I cant comprehend the scale of the question
    I obviously had difficulty with the concept and still feel like I have neglected some of my favorite children. 
    Yes, because 3 is the magic number (3 Rs). :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    I haven't listed any in awhile :giggle: so WTH

Little Guitars w/Intro - Van Halen
    Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
    Entre Nous - Rush
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not Dark Yet - Bob Dylan
    Epic Problem - Fugazi

The story of The Hip is hard to tell, because it's so mixed with emotion and, well, I dunno, the Canadian soul, in a way that no other artist has ever been or ever will be IMO. But what is easy to say is that they are a fucking amazing band (and were one of the best live shows out there, easily competing with PJ as far as that goes), with an incredible diverse catalogue that goes back to the late 80s, lead by an unusually unique vocalist-poet who also happens to arguably be the greatest lyricist in all of modern music. Yes, far better than Eddie Vedder in that context. And I think better than Bob Dylan as well. And then the sad, sad end to the story is that he, Gord Downie, died of a brain tumour last year. He made music almost right up to the end, and also spent most of his energy during that time working for reconciliation for and solidarity with Canada's Indigenous people. He was beyond one of a kind, in the world, not just Canada. And The Hip also achieved the rare greatness of being a band that lasted for nearly 30 years with ALL of its original members, and kept making great music the entire time.

And to top off this Hip rant, lol, I have to add 3 more Hip songs to this playlist, but really, anyone curious about The Hip have to just start listening to their massive catalogue from the beginning and not stop until the end, lol:
    Wheat Kings
    Ahead by a Century
    Nautical Disaster
    I know the story of Gord, very sad.  Better than Dylan??  Wow that's high praise.  I go Dylan, Bruce, Neil as far as lyrics go, so that's pretty far up the ladder.  I'll have to check them out.  Once I go into a band, I don't get out for years.  
    Seasons of Love - Rent
    Caravan - Van Morrison
    I Believe In Father Christmas - Emerson,Lake &Palmer

mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not Dark Yet - Bob Dylan
    Epic Problem - Fugazi

Wheat Kings
    Ahead by a Century
    Nautical Disaster
    I know the story of Gord, very sad.  Better than Dylan??  Wow that's high praise.  I go Dylan, Bruce, Neil as far as lyrics go, so that's pretty far up the ladder.  I'll have to check them out.  Once I go into a band, I don't get out for years.  
    It's definitely high praise - I don't give it casually! I'm also a huge Dylan fan.
    Pap said:
    njnancy said:
    MayDay10 said:
    3 songs?!~

I cant comprehend the scale of the question
    I obviously had difficulty with the concept and still feel like I have neglected some of my favorite children. 
    Yes, because 3 is the magic number (3 Rs). :wink:
    That's a song right there.