Options

Don Lemon: 'White men' are biggest terror threat to US, and there is no travel ban on them

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I think if we really looked hard at it, we would find that SO MUCH of what passes for news these days is fringe.  This is in a big part due to social media.  All kinds of off-beat stuff gets posted and triggers our emotions.  We tend to focus on all these obscure situations and whackadoo people.  We swat at gnats when we could be spending our energy figuring out how to lessen our impact on the planet.  Mother Earth just shakes her head and rolls her eyes.  
    I only wish the climate scientists would tell us that imminent doom is these 3 three things:

-going to affect us in the next 5-15 years in a catastrophic way
    -still currently reversible
    -renewable energy would make you rich if you INVEST NOW! 

not enough people give a shit because they don't think it will effect them, or they think it's too far off to worry about, and there isn't enough profit 

man I hope other species are able to sustain themselves after we're gone and what our species has done
    Your middle choice is, indeed, what many climate scientists are still saying.  Here's an article posted just yesterday (10.31.18) that talks about that:

The article's last paragraph is almost overly simplified considering the science content within it:

While we will presumably have to contend with many more summers like 2018 in the future, we could likely prevent any further increase in persistent summer weather extremes. In other words, the future is still very much in our hands when it comes to dangerous and damaging summer weather extremes. It’s simply a matter of our willpower to transition quickly from fossil fuels to renewable energy.

- but it still makes an optimistic point that hinges strongly on a the will to act.  That, of course, may be difficult but maybe if enough of us get the word out that something can be done, and fewer of us resign to doom, well, who knows.  Wonders happen.

yes, but I wish the distaster was imminent AND still reversible. by the time people wake up and realize it's their generation that's going to suffer, it will be too late. 
    I think it is imminent and at least somewhat irreversible.  What scientists are saying is that if we act soon, we can reduce the damage to a mostly survivable degree.  If we don't act soon, many many humans will die, perhaps much of our species.   This is why I support voting and voting against the extreme right that (it seems to me) have a human species suicidal tendency and hatred for nature.
    we're kind of argue-greeing here. imminent in the grand scheme? absolutely. imminent in the eyes of people's life expectancy, especially those in power who probably won't live long enough to see it? no. that's the problem. too many 70 year old men who don't give two shits about 30 years from now. or don't believe it. or both. 

*nothing against 70 year old men, here, Brian. 
    Oh believe me, I totally get it.  I have often been very critical of my boomer generation.  We were going to "change the world".  We were the "enlightened" generation at the "dawning of the age of Aquarius".  And what a crock of shit that turned out to be.  My generation is a huge let down.  That's a big reason I adopted the punk era.
    speaking of which, what did you think of the Headstones cd?
    Did I not respond?  Ahh, one of the bummer of aging.  Forgetfulness!  Sorry!  And thank you!  Yes, very cool.  Lots of energy and "midnightofthislife", man, I get it!
    and you didn't not respond. This is the first time I asked you (I think). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I think if we really looked hard at it, we would find that SO MUCH of what passes for news these days is fringe.  This is in a big part due to social media.  All kinds of off-beat stuff gets posted and triggers our emotions.  We tend to focus on all these obscure situations and whackadoo people.  We swat at gnats when we could be spending our energy figuring out how to lessen our impact on the planet.  Mother Earth just shakes her head and rolls her eyes.  
    I only wish the climate scientists would tell us that imminent doom is these 3 three things:

-going to affect us in the next 5-15 years in a catastrophic way
    -still currently reversible
    -renewable energy would make you rich if you INVEST NOW! 

not enough people give a shit because they don't think it will effect them, or they think it's too far off to worry about, and there isn't enough profit 

man I hope other species are able to sustain themselves after we're gone and what our species has done
    Your middle choice is, indeed, what many climate scientists are still saying.  Here's an article posted just yesterday (10.31.18) that talks about that:

The article's last paragraph is almost overly simplified considering the science content within it:

While we will presumably have to contend with many more summers like 2018 in the future, we could likely prevent any further increase in persistent summer weather extremes. In other words, the future is still very much in our hands when it comes to dangerous and damaging summer weather extremes. It’s simply a matter of our willpower to transition quickly from fossil fuels to renewable energy.

- but it still makes an optimistic point that hinges strongly on a the will to act.  That, of course, may be difficult but maybe if enough of us get the word out that something can be done, and fewer of us resign to doom, well, who knows.  Wonders happen.

yes, but I wish the distaster was imminent AND still reversible. by the time people wake up and realize it's their generation that's going to suffer, it will be too late. 
    I think it is imminent and at least somewhat irreversible.  What scientists are saying is that if we act soon, we can reduce the damage to a mostly survivable degree.  If we don't act soon, many many humans will die, perhaps much of our species.   This is why I support voting and voting against the extreme right that (it seems to me) have a human species suicidal tendency and hatred for nature.
    we're kind of argue-greeing here. imminent in the grand scheme? absolutely. imminent in the eyes of people's life expectancy, especially those in power who probably won't live long enough to see it? no. that's the problem. too many 70 year old men who don't give two shits about 30 years from now. or don't believe it. or both. 

*nothing against 70 year old men, here, Brian. 
    Oh believe me, I totally get it.  I have often been very critical of my boomer generation.  We were going to "change the world".  We were the "enlightened" generation at the "dawning of the age of Aquarius".  And what a crock of shit that turned out to be.  My generation is a huge let down.  That's a big reason I adopted the punk era.
    speaking of which, what did you think of the Headstones cd?
    Did I not respond?  Ahh, one of the bummer of aging.  Forgetfulness!  Sorry!  And thank you!  Yes, very cool.  Lots of energy and "midnightofthislife", man, I get it!
    seeing them 3 times next week! they are playing their first record in its entirety. Picture of Health. If you have a way to check it out, do so. If not, I'll send you that one next. 
    Awesome!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.