Reading, PA 2004 - Vote For Change Show

Hi all. In next week's episode of Live On 4 Legs we're looking to get a little political as we find ourselves closer to the midterm elections. We'll be covering the 2004 show from Reading, PA that took place during the Vote For Change tour prior to that year's Presidential elections. As always, we're looking for your stories and memories from this show to help us cover all of our bases. Email us at LiveOn4LegsPodcast@gmail.com or comment below to let us know what your thoughts from this show.

As far as politics go, our goal is to do our best to keep our current event opinions to ourselves in order not to alienate those listening that may not feel the same way as we do. This is an important time in the band's history as they've always been outspoken with their beliefs and we feel that with the election that will be held within the days following this episode's release there's no better time to cover it then now. We will be encouraging folks to vote, but will not be persuading votes in either direction as we respect those who have their own opinions that may be similar or differ from the show. Thanks, friends!
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,846
    Great show, met Mike outside the venue signing autographs (was too shy to say much but got my ticket signed). I think Boom was there too but he wasn't singing anything/much. I think that was the first time Sad was ever played. Tim Robbins was a very cool opener. 
    Have to go back and replay this concert soon.
    Wish they would have made that Vote for Change dvd...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,139
    I attended the best show of the tour, Fox Theater in STL. Kerry was such an awful choice for the Democratic slot that year. Ugh. Guaranteed another 4 years of Bushy Jr.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    edited October 2018
    I attended the best show of the tour, Fox Theater in STL. Kerry was such an awful choice for the Democratic slot that year. Ugh. Guaranteed another 4 years of Bushy Jr.

Also, Florida and Ohio guaranteed another 4 years for Bushy Jr in 2004.

On another random note... I was in Seattle the night of the 2000 election, which was obviously stolen.  I was seeing Widespread Panic at the Paramount.  After the show, I knew Bushy Jr won because people were literally crying in the parking lot afterwards.

11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • 2004...It was an exciting time that ended it dissapointment with the election. 

The show in Reading was indeed great. Smaller venue, so lots of good seats. The band had a great night, clearly energized by the cause and the crowd. One distinct memory was that the far back center row people were sitting directly in front of an old metal scoreboard. They would bang on the metal during the show to make noise and Eddie liked it. 
  • I bought seats directly behind matt cameron for this show. I made a glow in the dark sign that said Camerons Corner. The whole band saw the sign and made Matt turn around to check it out. He handed me his drumsticks at the end of the show. I asked him about it two years later, and Matt had no idea what I was talking about. Ill never forget it though.
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 711
    Hands down one of my most favorite shows. Great crowd and the band was in such a unique space - They played lights out that night. Check the setlist if you haven’t already - some great performances of gems they weren’t always playing during that era. Def Vault worthy.

For me - The time between Riot Act and Self-Titled was so fun and the band was really morphing imo. The 04 & 05 stretch of shows def stand out (and that’s saying something for a band this prolific). Great chapter in this bands history. 
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,633
    edited October 2018
    I was at the show - great time -DEBUT OF SAD!  first time seeing Death Cab as well.  A lot of details here:
    http://www.twofeetthick.com/concert-chronology/pj2004/
    10/01/04 – Sovereign Center: Reading, PA [140m] (Vote for Change Tour)
    attendance: approx 9,000
    support act: Gob Roberts, Death Cab for Cutie
    Ed’s pre-set: Don’t Be Shy, Growin’ Up
    set: Love Boat Captain, Animal, Brain Of J, Do The Evolution, Nothing As It Seems, Insignificance, The American In Me, Gimme Some Truth, Given to Fly, 1/2 Full, Sad, Go
    enc 1 (acoustic): Soon Forget, Elderly Woman, Masters Of War, Nothingman, Crazy Mary
    enc 2: Last Kiss, Daughter/(Blitzkrieg Bop), Bleed for Me, The New World (w/Tim Robbins), Alive
    enc 3: Baba O’Riley, Yellow Ledbetter 
    notes: 
    After Ed finishes his preset, he says he’s going to read a statement, opens up a piece of paper and talks about bringing a conservative senator for Pennsylvania on stage to give the conservatives fair time. An old man with his legs draped in a flag comes out in a wheelchair and he begins to play a song while the crowd boos. He takes hold of the microphone and seems to be electrocuted and he falls and the lights go down. But when the lights return, it was all an act by Tim Robbins and the Gob Roberts set begins. Poor acoustics at this venue and a stack blows to make it worse. A big highlight is ‘Sad’ (a Binaural outtake appearing on the Lost Dogs release), played at a live show for the first time tonight. The acoustic set begins with Ed saying, “Anybody who is undecided, if you think about it, being undecided is really dangerous, and I have a perfect example: people with mullets. That’s indecision. “Do I want it short? Do I want it long? I just can’t take a stand.’” Then he introduces ‘Soon Forget’: “This is for the rich guys, the really rich guys, who love it when you don’t vote.” Ed later teases that will play ‘Bushleaguer,’ but instead play a “love song” (‘Nothingman’). Tim Robbins helps out with ‘The New World’ again. Mike totally misses his solo in ‘Baba,’ then realizes he needs to play (with Stone and Ed both looking his way) and botches it

Post edited by Indifference on

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,846
    2004...It was an exciting time that ended it dissapointment with the election. 

The show in Reading was indeed great. Smaller venue, so lots of good seats. The band had a great night, clearly energized by the cause and the crowd. One distinct memory was that the far back center row people were sitting directly in front of an old metal scoreboard. They would bang on the metal during the show to make noise and Eddie liked it. 
    ah I remember that, they wouldn't stop lol
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,498
    I seem to recall the local paper’s review bashing fans for trashing the city.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Tight show. Thinking back the highlights to me were Sad, Nothingman, and Bleed For Me. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Most absurd ejection ever.  Supposedly,  it's the same idiot ejected from Hampton 2016.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    100 Pacer said:
    I seem to recall the local paper’s review bashing fans for trashing the city.
    Didn't happen. Reading was already a shithole.
    Saw the MTV crew out front when I first arrived. Met Tim Robbins and shook his hand out in the concourse before the show.
    Great show. The pre set was fantastic.

Sad debut. Nothingman was fantastic. Scored front side section seats from fanclub.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • CopperTom said:
    Most absurd ejection ever.  Supposedly,  it's the same idiot ejected from Hampton 2016.
    Care to elaborate?
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    CopperTom said:
    Care to elaborate?
    I had last row floor.  The ejected fan was up the front.  3 security guards carried him out and boy was he thrashing.  I forget the explanation at this point.  He used to post at RM.  He was from Scranton.  Boy, I remember terrible details.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    One thing I remember about that show was seeing Tim Robbins in the lobby and thinking how enormous his head is.   I still can picture it. just an enormous noggin
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,636
    edited October 2018
    For some reason i skipped this show.  Should've gone.   I definitely remember MTV airing a minute or two of it
  • Would have been a dream come true to see the Toledo show.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 896
    Would have been a dream come true to see the Toledo show.
    That would make a great vault release 
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    I missed the pre-set because there was/is a grade crossing near the arena and a freight train blocked us for like 20  minutes.
    ceska said:
    I missed the pre-set because there was/is a grade crossing near the arena and a freight train blocked us for like 20  minutes.
    Yep.  We were delayed getting in as well.  
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,619
    edited October 2018
    I was 11th row, Mikes side. Jeff threw a shirt out to me and I caught it.
     During Masters of War was the first time I learned Ed had a kid when he changed the lyrics to ‘for threatening my baby, just born & just named’ 
    Also i remember a sick Crazy Mary.
    Heres a pic of the T shirt-

Post edited by URthekey on
  • TresentPenseTresentPense New York City Posts: 551
    I drove to this show from southern CT. I remember it taking like 4-5+ hours to get there in Fri night traffic, and not being able to find parking anywhere near the venue (so I parked illegally in some neighborhood and hoofed it a ways, I think), and barely made it to the seats for the opener. Met by buddy who drove up from Philly at the show. It was a long trip home that night but worth it.
    '98: 8/22
    '00: 8/23 8/24 8/25
    '03: 4/30 7/2 7/3 7/8 7/9 7/11
    '04: 10/1
    '06: 5/13 5/27 5/28 6/1 6/3
    '08: 6/24 6/25 6/27 6/28 7/1
    '09: 10/30 10/31
    '10: 5/15 5/18 5/20 5/21 6/25
    '11: 9/3 9/4
    '12: 9/2 9/22
    '13: 7/19 10/18 10/19 10/21 10/22 11/23 11/24
    '14: 10/19
    '15: 9/26
    '16: 4/8 4/9 4/11 4/28 4/29 5/1 5/2 8/5 8/7
    '17: RNRHOF 4/17
    '18: 9/2 9/4
    '21: 9/18
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    We would normally play Bu$hleaguer here, but we're gonna play a love song instead... EV Reading 2004
  • I drove to this show from southern CT. I remember it taking like 4-5+ hours to get there in Fri night traffic, and not being able to find parking anywhere near the venue (so I parked illegally in some neighborhood and hoofed it a ways, I think), and barely made it to the seats for the opener. Met by buddy who drove up from Philly at the show. It was a long trip home that night but worth it.
    I'm from southern CT, whereabouts are you from?

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Great show, great time with great friends, left the next morning for long drive to Toledo.  I love PJ and the memories.  
    edited November 2018
    Stellar performance of Brain of J

...(among others)
    Post edited by bigbiggzy on
  • Thanks again for sharing your stories. Episode is available now, check any of the links below to listen.

• TresentPenseTresentPense New York City Posts: 551
    I drove to this show from southern CT. I remember it taking like 4-5+ hours to get there in Fri night traffic, and not being able to find parking anywhere near the venue (so I parked illegally in some neighborhood and hoofed it a ways, I think), and barely made it to the seats for the opener. Met by buddy who drove up from Philly at the show. It was a long trip home that night but worth it.
    I lived in Stamford in 2004; am in Westchester County NY now. You?
    '98: 8/22
    '00: 8/23 8/24 8/25
    '03: 4/30 7/2 7/3 7/8 7/9 7/11
    '04: 10/1
    '06: 5/13 5/27 5/28 6/1 6/3
    '08: 6/24 6/25 6/27 6/28 7/1
    '09: 10/30 10/31
    '10: 5/15 5/18 5/20 5/21 6/25
    '11: 9/3 9/4
    '12: 9/2 9/22
    '13: 7/19 10/18 10/19 10/21 10/22 11/23 11/24
    '14: 10/19
    '15: 9/26
    '16: 4/8 4/9 4/11 4/28 4/29 5/1 5/2 8/5 8/7
    '17: RNRHOF 4/17
    '18: 9/2 9/4
    '21: 9/18
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,472
    edited November 2018
    The sound was absolutely terrible on that night. Worst sounding PJ gig I have ever been to.   Seemed like an eternity to get back to NY after this show. Not one of my favorites.
  • I drove to this show from southern CT. I remember it taking like 4-5+ hours to get there in Fri night traffic, and not being able to find parking anywhere near the venue (so I parked illegally in some neighborhood and hoofed it a ways, I think), and barely made it to the seats for the opener. Met by buddy who drove up from Philly at the show. It was a long trip home that night but worth it.
    I lived in Stamford in 2004; am in Westchester County NY now. You?
    Just moved from Newington down to Stratford