Did you vote, yet?

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Well glad he voted. Don’t like hearing voting straight ticket and especially when he admitted to not knowing about the candidates....but he voted. I can understand a Dem straight party vote this year more than any other.
    I don’t understand the opposition to allowing for the straight ticket option. Why the dislike?
    I think the straight ticket vote is a symptom of the big problem we have. Everyone just voting for their team. Just picking the letter next to each candidate.  It’s true that in some cases that is the choice for a person, but over time, year after year....if you are doing it then you are part of the problem. Just my opinion.
    I research the cadidates, but regardless, I’ve voted Dem every single time for 30 years. This happens because the dems tend to be middle of my left anyway. I know there is no chance in hell I’d ever vote republican. Point is, even if I didn’t research, the outcomes would be the same: straight dem. I’m not being oart of the problem if I did that, I would be following a pattern that has been 100% in the past. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    We do vote by mail in Oregon. It’s cheaper, more convenient, and gives a higher turnout rate. There’s several drop off sites, too. I can’t believe machines and electronic voting is even allowed. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    unsung said:
    Probably sitting it out just like in 2016.
    No local/state issues on the ballot that need your attention?  I understand people skipping voting for candidates if no one really matches up enough or if 1 isn;t way worse than the other.  But generally there are state/local issues that I am betting you have an opinion on.
    I know that this wasn’t addressed to me, but see my above post on how Massachusetts legalized recreational cannabis TWO YEARS AGO, yet not a single shop has opened in the entire state. So you can either grow it, get a MMJ card or buy it illegally from a dealer and pray that it’s not laced with fentanyl. (Boy, do these Massholes LOVE their fentanyl.)

Also, on that same ballot, my town voted to refurbish a multi-use path on an old railbed (bike trail, walking trail) that has been neglected and overtaken by weeds and ivy, but those rich folks who abut the abandoned trail don’t want it put back into use for their neighbors—and they’re terrified that the brown people from the next town over, which has lovely hiking trails of its own, by the way, will wind up in full view of their family dinner tables. So do you think anything has happened on that trail for my town yet? But, boy, it sure did feel good to go out and vote and pretend that we’re making a difference.

And for any condescending motherfucker who wants to label this cynicism, I guess you can’t fucking read. It’s the reality of my local politics. Maybe yours are better. 
    Since I'm the one who brought up "cynicism", I guess this is aimed at me.  Well Dan, I try very hard not to be condescending.  I've often been as self-critical here as others have been critical of me.  And I will tell you this in all and absolute honesty:  I never fucked my mother.

Have a day.
    Not directed at you at all, Brian -- just a preemptive defense because I know how it gets in AMT.
    OK, sorry Dan. 

I'm just not sure why some feel like any of us are trying to "make" others vote.  We still live in a country where we can vote and/or where we are not forced to vote.  I understand and appreciate that so often one's vote feels futile.  I totally understand that propositions are written in legalese so as to confuse the voting public and that too often the powers that be screw it up anyway.  I just simply find that voting is something I want to do because if I and enough people educate ourselves on issues and candidates and vote based on some knowledge, it can only help, even if just a tiny bit and doing so does not take a great deal of effort.

At the same time, I am not going to castigate those who choose not to vote.  I will simply tell them I hope they will change their mind next time.  It's not my business nor my intent to tell people what to do.

In any case, thanks for responding.  Have a good one.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    brianlux said:
    Why vote.  It's all just a waste  of time and no one person can change anything.  Don't tell me what to do.  Anyone who encourages me to vote is a condescending motherfucker. Whether or not I vote is no ones fucking business so don't bring it up.  The laws are all bullshit, so why bother trying to change anything.  If I say I don't want to vote, you will bring up roads so fuck you.  High profile people have no fucking business making statements about what they believe.

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mickeyrat said:
    You every right to complain, whether one votes or not.  I don’t personally ask people if they vote or not ... that’s no-one’s business...
    some 90 million chose not to last time. And this is what we got. you're goddamned right its my business.
    LMFAO...It’s your business to know how many didn’t vote.  It’s none of your business to know who voted or didn’t ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    We do vote by mail in Oregon. It’s cheaper, more convenient, and gives a higher turnout rate. There’s several drop off sites, too. I can’t believe machines and electronic voting is even allowed. 
    Same in Washington. No lines at polling places, no having to take off early from work. The ballot shows up a couple of weeks before Election Day, and I can pour myself a beer, sit down with my ballot at my leisure, so some research, make my choices, and either drop it in one of many ballot boxes around town, or just drop it in the mail. This year Washington made the return envelopes postage-paid, so nobody has any real excuse not to vote.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    When I was to vote in my first presidential election, I told my Dad that I didn't like the candidates, and I wouldn't vote. He is the son of immigrants, and his grandpa was a mayor of a town in Italy.

He said if I don't vote, then I'm not part of the family. A little harsh, but obviously a pro-voting message.

Anyone else have pro-voting family stories?

There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    Why vote.  It's all just a waste  of time and no one person can change anything.  Don't tell me what to do.  Anyone who encourages me to vote is a condescending motherfucker. Whether or not I vote is no ones fucking business so don't bring it up.  The laws are all bullshit, so why bother trying to change anything.  If I say I don't want to vote, you will bring up roads so fuck you.  High profile people have no fucking business making statements about what they believe.

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    Only thing it proves is how poorly sarcasm works on the internet.   :wink:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    :lol:
    Hint: Use "/s" after a sarcastic comment. At least some people know what it means. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Ms. Haiku said:
    When I was to vote in my first presidential election, I told my Dad that I didn't like the candidates, and I wouldn't vote. He is the son of immigrants, and his grandpa was a mayor of a town in Italy.

He said if I don't vote, then I'm not part of the family. A little harsh, but obviously a pro-voting message.

My folks were always enthusiastic about voting and when I became eligible, I was stoked... and still am.  My folks were a good influence.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    Hint: Use "/s" after a sarcastic comment. At least some people know what it means. ;)
    I always like your tips "/s"
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2018
    those in power prefer it if you don't vote. that's how they stay in power. 

see Bart Simpson v Martin Prince
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I often get the "just throwing you're vote away" thrown at me for voting or third party or write-in candidates in national elections. I don't play party politics when it comes to voting, and I certainly am NOT going to vote for a lesser of two evils for the sake of not voting for the other guy.  So if Democrats and Republicans throw two clowns in front of me to choose from, my vote is my way of saying "don't insult me with these choices."
    I often get the "just throwing you're vote away" thrown at me for voting or third party or write-in candidates in national elections. I don't play party politics when it comes to voting, and I certainly am NOT going to vote for a lesser of two evils for the sake of not voting for the other guy.  So if Democrats and Republicans throw two clowns in front of me to choose from, my vote is my way of saying "don't insult me with these choices."
    no vote is a wasted vote. the only way the system will change from a corrupt 2 party game is if more people vote the way they wish. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    You're not supposed to add the quotation marks, duh.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    I have never heard of this /s thing before now. I would have thought "what the fuck does divided by S give you?"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    I have never heard of this /s thing before now. I would have thought "what the fuck does divided by S give you?"
    Years ago now there was a movement to normalize this symbol to indicate sarcasm, and it did pick up a little steam at one point, but it didn't stick like some people had hoped, lol. I do still see it used from time to time on social media though.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    Years ago now there was a movement to normalize this symbol to indicate sarcasm, and it did pick up a little steam at one point, but it didn't stick like some people had hoped, lol. I do still see it used from time to time on social media though.
    I'm guessing the Emoji Movement of the 2010's streamrolled right through it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    I'm guessing the Emoji Movement of the 2010's streamrolled right through it. 
    Yeah, I guess so!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    In SI units, s is the unit for time (seconds).  I find my time to be quite divided.  

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    /s

:wink:

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    i'm voting all Democrats not one Republican they can all kiss my immigrant ass !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    unsung said:
    No local/state issues on the ballot that need your attention?  I understand people skipping voting for candidates if no one really matches up enough or if 1 isn;t way worse than the other.  But generally there are state/local issues that I am betting you have an opinion on.
    I know that this wasn’t addressed to me, but see my above post on how Massachusetts legalized recreational cannabis TWO YEARS AGO, yet not a single shop has opened in the entire state. So you can either grow it, get a MMJ card or buy it illegally from a dealer and pray that it’s not laced with fentanyl. (Boy, do these Massholes LOVE their fentanyl.)

Also, on that same ballot, my town voted to refurbish a multi-use path on an old railbed (bike trail, walking trail) that has been neglected and overtaken by weeds and ivy, but those rich folks who abut the abandoned trail don’t want it put back into use for their neighbors—and they’re terrified that the brown people from the next town over, which has lovely hiking trails of its own, by the way, will wind up in full view of their family dinner tables. So do you think anything has happened on that trail for my town yet? But, boy, it sure did feel good to go out and vote and pretend that we’re making a difference.

And for any condescending motherfucker who wants to label this cynicism, I guess you can’t fucking read. It’s the reality of my local politics. Maybe yours are better. 
    I never fucked my mother.

Speak for yourself.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    unsung said:

I never fucked my mother.

Speak for yourself.
    No /s???? OMG!!!!!!!!!! /s, but kinda not /s.../s
    Am I doing this right?
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung said:
    I am considering voting no on a couple of referendums.

brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    Perhaps.

I'll apologize because I was under the assumption that your inquiry was sincere so I took some time to answer it.  
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:

Did I miss anything?

Case proven.
    Thanks! Love ya! /s
    hippiemom = goodness
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    bad bad bad

Case proven.
    Perhaps.

I'll apologize because I was under the assumption that your inquiry was sincere so I took some time to answer it.  
    No need to.  My bad.  Bad bad bad.  I need to clean up my posts (which I've done here where possible) and be less sarcastic.  I did mean to be sincere.  Thanks for your answer Sorry for the sarcasm.  I'll try to do less of both- unnecessary vulgarity, less sarcasm.  I can do better than that.

Also, my apologies Ms Haiku for trashing your thread.  I'll try to be more civil here.  Thanks for doing it.

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited November 2018
    Ms. Haiku said:

My family always voted - my mother made sure she did because she wanted to cancel out my dad's vote - lol. They were both first generation Americans. I couldn't wait to vote and there was a Presidential election when I was first eligible - I was so excited and I stayed up all night to see if the third party candidate I voted for won - of course they didn't but that began my complete interest in politics and my parents, though cancelling each other out, took voting very seriously and passed that on to me.

When I had my son - I brought him into the voting booth with me - we have one with a curtain here in NJ.  From the time he was an infant until he was a tween I absolutely loved sharing this experience with him. The best was when he could understand on a basic level and I would whisper to him what I was doing and I would let him pull the levers for me and then hit finish when we were done. I vote in school budget elections - it's just part of my DNA.

Though living with his father & not really in touch with me, my son showed up at my door when he was 18 and able to vote in the 2016 election, and we went together. I was so proud. He is home now and, as I wrote earlier, we will all go together - 3 generations- and vote because it is a privilege. 
    Post edited by njnancy on