2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited October 2018
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Again...if they play a normal size tour with more dates, the "demand" for Chicago, NY, etc would be less.   Keep in mind, some people can only afford 1 or 2 shows.  So, this year, they had to choose Wrigley, Seattle, Boston, or Missoula.   And Missoula being out of the way, and only 1 show...most people had to choose Seattle, Wrigley, or Boston. 

If they played Portland, the demand for Seattle would drop slightly.  If they played Milwaukee, Detroit, or Indianapolis, the demand for Chicago would drop.   Throwing those other cities in there helps keep the demand from being too crazy.  Therefore you dont have to set up a 9 night residency anywhere.  But yeah, you could do that in NYC....because not only would the population there cover it, people would also try to fly there just to see them for that.   Sorry, NYC, you get lots of visitors in addition to your huge population. 

Leg 1
    Toronto
    Montreal
    Buffalo
    NYC
    NYC
    Boston
    Boston
    Philly
    Pittsburgh
    Columbus
    DC
    Atlanta
    Miami
    Tampa

Leg 2

Chicago 
    Chicago
    East Troy
    St Louis
    New Orleans
    Dallas
    Houston
    Denver
    Phoenix
    San Diego
    Los Angeles
    San Fransisco
    Portland
    Vancouver
    Seattle
    Seattle

But this will never happen. 

Having residencies does many things. It lowers the bands wear and tear being in constant motion. It drastically cuts down backline work. It allows family increased opportunity to join the band. It maximizes performance time over travel.

Im observing their touring trends lately and it seems they tour less than average, less than other bands do, even fellow mega stars like the Stones or Bruce did when they were in their 50s. I get it, every night away from my family is not fun. So viola, summer residency and family.

Then i look at the stadium shows the last few years. Huge time and cost commitment to build a stage, a night for sound check and always a day off between the shows. All that effort for 95% of the fans to have a terrible view of the stage and very few shows for all that travel and effort. No side stage seats, no seats in the wings, no backstage seats. No second level seats that are actually decent. If you're  not in the first 25 rows in a stadium, the view is terrible.

• jbrowniejbrownie Posts: 135
    I, for one (probably the only one) wish they could do something like the Allman Bros. did & hold down 3 weeks @ the Beacon in NYC. But I dunno how they could make everyone happy ticketwise. All I know is that the ABB had a pretty devoted fan base, I always got tix (not always the best seats, or the nights I'd hoped for initially), & it was always magic. I think PJ is just too big, and we are too fanatical.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945

Having residencies does many things. It lowers the bands wear and tear being in constant motion. It drastically cuts down backline work. It allows family increased opportunity to join the band. It maximizes performance time over travel.

Im observing their touring trends lately and it seems they tour less than average, less than other bands do, even fellow mega stars like the Stones or Bruce did when they were in their 50s. I get it, every night away from my family is not fun. So viola, summer residency and family.

Then i look at the stadium shows the last few years. Huge time and cost commitment to build a stage, a night for sound check and always a day off between the shows. All that effort for 95% of the fans to have a terrible view of the stage and very few shows for all that travel and effort. No side stage seats, no seats in the wings, no backstage seats. No second level seats that are actually decent. If you're  not in the first 25 rows in a stadium, the view is terrible.

I agree and disagree with you.  I don't think Stadium shows are a huge time commitment.   I don't count the day off in between because I think it's for rest.  I don't think the venue needs it.   Given what happened in Europe I'm doubting the band would do back to backs in other venues anymore either.   The band has a paid crew who sets up the stage.   They only need to be there for 4ish days.   Soundcheck day plus the additional 3 days.  They play to 90000 to 10000 fans in four days.   If they moved that to an arena.  You need 5-6 shows to make up those numbers.  If they gap them a day a part you're looking at 12+ day time commitment.   With a band that doesn't like to tour for too long, what do you think they're going to lean towards?  Anyway you cut, it's way more efficient to play to 45000 to 50000 fans a night instead of 18 to 20 thousand.

The part I agree with you on is that arenas are better than stadiums.   It's so much less hassle at arena shows because there's way less people.  The venues are nicer.  Most modern arenas were built with acoustics in mind.  They sound great.   Arena's rock.   Our only issue is PJ doesn't like to be away from home.  They have the habit of trying to reach the most of fans while playing the least amount of shows.  It's what they do :(
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Fenway had several back to back shows in 2018. The day off was necessitated by Pearl Jam, not the venue.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    jbrownie said:
    I, for one (probably the only one) wish they could do something like the Allman Bros. did & hold down 3 weeks @ the Beacon in NYC. But I dunno how they could make everyone happy ticketwise. All I know is that the ABB had a pretty devoted fan base, I always got tix (not always the best seats, or the nights I'd hoped for initially), & it was always magic. I think PJ is just too big, and we are too fanatical.
    This would be kind of cool if the ten club could secure a lot of fan club tickets.  Each member could enter the lottery and win 2 tickets to one show only.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    mcgruff10 said:
    jbrownie said:
    This would be kind of cool if the ten club could secure a lot of fan club tickets.  Each member could enter the lottery and win 2 tickets to one show only.
    If your wife is not going I call dibs on your second ticket. :wink: 

For me a small residency would fit perfectly with my schedule/life. Fly into a city, stay a week and fly out of the same city. Catch 4-5 shows with less of a hit on the wallet. I would say though that I do enjoy traveling and exploring different cities following this band around. Europe this summer was a fantastic experience and I met so many cool people. That said I was gone for 9 days and only saw 3 shows. With having to juggle my family and work into the mix a small residency would be ideal for me.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    I know they would never do this, and not even sure fans would want them to, but if they do a "residency" do what MMJ did and play a full album show each night, with B-sides and covers mixed in.  Make it clear that these will not be marathon 3hr, 30 song sets.  Maybe 18-20 songs tops.  Of course, the demand for the first 5 albums would be insane, but it would really open up for later albums, haha.  
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    edited October 2018
    JimmyV said:
    Fenway had several back to back shows in 2018. The day off was necessitated by Pearl Jam, not the venue.
    Yup.  Can sell merchandise for many days without the hassle of playing many shows. 
    Post edited by Milestone on
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    I know they would never do this, and not even sure fans would want them to, but if they do a "residency" do what MMJ did and play a full album show each night, with B-sides and covers mixed in.  Make it clear that these will not be marathon 3hr, 30 song sets.  Maybe 18-20 songs tops.  Of course, the demand for the first 5 albums would be insane, but it would really open up for later albums, haha.  
    Mike is at least on board with this...

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Wrigley was tough to get because people flew in from everywhere. They only did 7 US shows?
    If they did somewhat of a normalish tour, with dates in mutltiple cities, people may stick closer to home. 18-20 shows, shows in every region, etc. 

And...if they announced tour dates all at once vs a different continent 3-4 times per year..
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Did someone say something?
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Zod said:

I agree and disagree with you.  I don't think Stadium shows are a huge time commitment.   I don't count the day off in between because I think it's for rest.  I don't think the venue needs it.   Given what happened in Europe I'm doubting the band would do back to backs in other venues anymore either.   The band has a paid crew who sets up the stage.   They only need to be there for 4ish days.   Soundcheck day plus the additional 3 days.  They play to 90000 to 10000 fans in four days.   If they moved that to an arena.  You need 5-6 shows to make up those numbers.  If they gap them a day a part you're looking at 12+ day time commitment.   With a band that doesn't like to tour for too long, what do you think they're going to lean towards?  Anyway you cut, it's way more efficient to play to 45000 to 50000 fans a night instead of 18 to 20 thousand.

The part I agree with you on is that arenas are better than stadiums.   It's so much less hassle at arena shows because there's way less people.  The venues are nicer.  Most modern arenas were built with acoustics in mind.  They sound great.   Arena's rock.   Our only issue is PJ doesn't like to be away from home.  They have the habit of trying to reach the most of fans while playing the least amount of shows.  It's what they do :(

I though I read in 2016 they needed the middle day off at Fenway for weather contingencies, and they were not available to make up the date once they left town.

But as has been pointed out, other Fenway acts went on consecutive nights this year. 2016 had plenty of consecutive arena shows but both stadium stops did not. This year there were 2 consecutive stands in Europe iirc.

A lot of the back line stadium setup is mandated local union labor at the large venues in the traditional U.S. union cities. (the venues provide the union muscle moving gear from the street, the bands provide the fine tuning set up inside, unless there is a special setup arrangement).

The stadium set up and tear down is time consuming and expensive. It's all done from scratch, unlike an arena that has built in logistics. They have also been fortunate not having to cancel outdoor shows, although a couple of very close calls.

If consecutive night shows are no longer an option, then I agree there is no way to make up the access for fans a stadium provides. Otherwise, if they can play back to back nights once a week, maybe arena residency is possible. 

Hopefully there is a way to try something other than baseball stadiums, they are especially vast near the stage. And the older stadiums have too many obstructed views. Welp.

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Wrigley was tough to get because people flew in from everywhere. They only did 7 US shows?
    If they did somewhat of a normalish tour, with dates in mutltiple cities, people may stick closer to home. 18-20 shows, shows in every region, etc. 

And...if they announced tour dates all at once vs a different continent 3-4 times per year..
    Yeah, good point.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Greg354xxxGreg354xxx Toowoomba, QLD, Australia Posts: 76
    This is how 2019 should go:

Australia & New Zealand (first headline shows in 10 years, as 2014 was for Big Day Out, which some older fans did not attend)
    Japan (first time since 2003)
    Singapore (first time since 1995)
    Hawaii (first time since 2006)

Brisbane: 14/03/98, 08/02/03, 10/11/06, 25/11/09
    Gold Coast: 19/01/14
    Ed solo: 12/03/11, 25/02/14
  • pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Selfishly I need a New Zealand gig announced tomorrow to happen sometime before Thanksgiving as I will be there...Not gonna happen.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 782
    Up for NZ gigs except in Q2 as I'll be in Asia. Best case scenario I fly there the day after attending the Alice In Chains show in Auckland in March.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • NiktoNikto Melbourne, Australia Posts: 132
    This is how 2019 should go:

Australia & New Zealand (first headline shows in 10 years, as 2014 was for Big Day Out, which some older fans did not attend)
    Japan (first time since 2003)
    Singapore (first time since 1995)
    Hawaii (first time since 2006)

I am an older fan and deliberately went to the BDO which I had never been to before because I knew it would be years until they came back to OZ.  I had to really convince my wife to come with me to the BDO.  We arrived late only for the PJ set and now that it has been 4 years since, I am glad I did.
    Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Play Atlantic Canada 
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    demetrios said:
    Play Leash in Atlantic Canada 

Now THAT'S a proper challenge.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    demetrios said:
    Play Leash in Atlantic Canada 

Now THAT'S a proper challenge.
    You both forgot to add "you pussies" at the end, though.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,618
    edited October 2018
    The 2018 Europe tour which started in the middle of June was announced December 1st 2017.  Its October 30th, so you have to think anything international in the early months (Jan-April) is out at this point.  North America could still be in play as those have been announced with a shorter interval.

I would also assume anything in Asia would require the 6 month window as that would be a large trip many people would have to plan out in advance.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    Eddie playing Innings Festival on 3-3-19 in Tempe, AZ.

Interesting. So the first confirmed date of 2019 is Ed solo.

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    So nothing until Summer like June at earliest.
    The Cubs will be 20 minutes away in Mesa for Spring Training.

• JimmyV said:
    The Cubs will be 20 minutes away in Mesa for Spring Training.
    Not even 20 minutes. Tempe Beach Park is just a 10 minute drive down Rio Salado Parkway away from Sloan Park. This must've been the easiest booking for Innings. Ed probably said yes without hesitation lol
  • wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 911
    edited October 2018
    The 2018 Europe tour which started in the middle of June was announced December 1st 2017.  Its October 30th, so you have to think anything international in the early months (Jan-April) is out at this point.  North America could still be in play as those have been announced with a shorter interval.

I would also assume anything in Asia would require the 6 month window as that would be a large trip many people would have to plan out in advance.

No offense to our international brothers and sisters, but Europe, South/Latin America and Canada, with a sprinkle of Aussie festivals are the only places it appears PJ will be playing outside the U.S. and those stops are getting further and further apart.  refer to Greg354's post on last shows played. 
  • jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Play Roaracle!!! 
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel