Options

Actors defend 'Cosby Show' regular seen bagging groceries

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/actors-defend-cosby-show-regular-seen-bagging-groceries-1.4077955

He has a regular job, good for him.  He should be respected, never belittled...
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The interesting thing is that he is working the job for health benefits.  A job that rarely provides benefits, but for a more ethical than average company.
    America is wacky.  Dude could be making up to 100,000$ a year acting, but if he isn't superhumanly healthy, he can't even afford not to work bagging groceries to pay for health insurance and care.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    rgambs said:
    The interesting thing is that he is working the job for health benefits.  A job that rarely provides benefits, but for a more ethical than average company.
    America is wacky.  Dude could be making up to 100,000$ a year acting, but if he isn't superhumanly healthy, he can't even afford not to work bagging groceries to pay for health insurance and care.
    Wacky is one word for it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I don't get the aversion for wanting to help people. It seems as if too many Americans covet what they have and are unwilling to look outside their bubble and see what responsibility they have to helping those less fortunate. Doctors should not be exclusive to only those that can afford them.

Health care and education must be the staples of any society that plans on progressing. Take care of each other. There's tons of talk about why the US features so many people that want to kill other people. Perhaps the prevalent and ruthless dog eat dog attitude that seems to be the mantra for so many has something to do with motivations? People become callous and hostile when basic needs are not met and social inequality exists. You see relative deprivation at every level- even as small as setlists ("Seattle got 37 songs... we only got 30... wtf?").

Not everyone should thrive, but everyone should at a very minimum receive care and attention when they are sick regardless of their place in life.  
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    rgambs said:
    if he has an active sag card, he has insurance.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    Lots of interesting cultural topics at play here.  First we are taught to value work, but then we look at someone doing certain types of work as having failed.  Second, we tend to take pleasure in someone's downfall, even someone who was as minor of a "celebrity" as Geoffrey Owens.  Third (and something hopefully people can take away from this) is that the assumptions made about very in-the-public jobs is that everyone's stinking rich.  But for every George Clooney, there are probably dozens like this guy that have to do other things.  For every Peyton Manning, there are dozens that made a few hundred thousand and had to start over at 25.  For every Pearl Jam, there are dozens of musicians, including many we've heard of, having to make ends meet in other jobs.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Lots of interesting cultural topics at play here.  First we are taught to value work, but then we look at someone doing certain types of work as having failed.  Second, we tend to take pleasure in someone's downfall, even someone who was as minor of a "celebrity" as Geoffrey Owens.  Third (and something hopefully people can take away from this) is that the assumptions made about very in-the-public jobs is that everyone's stinking rich.  But for every George Clooney, there are probably dozens like this guy that have to do other things.  For every Peyton Manning, there are dozens that made a few hundred thousand and had to start over at 25.  For every Pearl Jam, there are dozens of musicians, including many we've heard of, having to make ends meet in other jobs.  

There definitely seems to be a 'kick 'em when they're down' attitude that is becoming prevalent.

And I agree with the jockeying for social status notion you have alluded to. In a productive society, all levels of service hold value: the doctor has a role to play, the garbage man has a role to play, the waiter has a role to play, the transport driver has a role to play...

All jobs hold value and are critical components for providing the lifestyles we pursue. The people working these jobs need to be respected for doing them.
  • Options
    As an example, when my children were small, after completing the aisle service, the flight attendant on a plane we were on came back and gave my children extra treats because she said she appreciated their manners (saying 'thank you').

And what I mean to say is... has this what we have become? Having good manners is something so rare it needs to be rewarded? 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

There definitely seems to be a 'kick 'em when they're down' attitude that is becoming prevalent.

And I agree with the jockeying for social status notion you have alluded to. In a productive society, all levels of service hold value: the doctor has a role to play, the garbage man has a role to play, the waiter has a role to play, the transport driver has a role to play...

All jobs hold value and are critical components for providing the lifestyles we pursue. The people working these jobs need to be respected for doing them.
    thats why I make it a point to say thanks to the truck stop employees cleaning the bathrooms.  shit job for shit pay deserves some thanks from those who benefit.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    As an example, when my children were small, after completing the aisle service, the flight attendant on a plane we were on came back and gave my children extra treats because she said she appreciated their manners (saying 'thank you').

And what I mean to say is... has this what we have become? Having good manners is something so rare it needs to be rewarded? 
    couldnt it have been just a simple acknowledgment it was noticed and because she appreciated, showed them so?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

couldnt it have been just a simple acknowledgment it was noticed and because she appreciated, showed them so?
    In all likelihood yes.

My point is that manners should be so commonplace that good manners shouldn't be noticed.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

In all likelihood yes.

My point is that manners should be so commonplace that good manners shouldn't be noticed.
    yeah, but noticing helps to foster continued behaviors.

and really, coming from one in an enclosed service environment, its saying something more imo.

• Options
    I don't get the aversion for wanting to help people. It seems as if too many Americans covet what they have and are unwilling to look outside their bubble and see what responsibility they have to helping those less fortunate. Doctors should not be exclusive to only those that can afford them.

Health care and education must be the staples of any society that plans on progressing. Take care of each other. There's tons of talk about why the US features so many people that want to kill other people. Perhaps the prevalent and ruthless dog eat dog attitude that seems to be the mantra for so many has something to do with motivations? People become callous and hostile when basic needs are not met and social inequality exists. You see relative deprivation at every level- even as small as setlists ("Seattle got 37 songs... we only got 30... wtf?").

Not everyone should thrive, but everyone should at a very minimum receive care and attention when they are sick regardless of their place in life.  
    spot on !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/actors-defend-cosby-show-regular-seen-bagging-groceries-1.4077955

agree. and what kind of asshole posts a picture of the guy - for what to embarrass him?  people really suck at times.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

agree. and what kind of asshole posts a picture of the guy - for what to embarrass him?  people really suck at times.
    at times?

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    People can be such assholes.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited September 2018
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/09/04/geoffrey-owens-responds-to-trader-joes-job-shaming-no-one-has-to-feel-sorry-for-me/?utm_term=.f67e2e08117e

By Sonia Rao
    September 4 at 12:01 PM

After photos of actor Geoffrey Owens working as a Trader Joe’s cashier circulated online last week, he appeared Tuesday on “Good Morning America” to tell everyone that he is doing just fine.

“There is no job that is better than another job,” Owens said. “It might pay better, it might have better benefits, it might look better on a résumé and on paper. But, actually, it’s not better. Every job is worthwhile and valuable.”

Owens, best known for playing the Huxtables’ son-in-law Elvin Tibideaux on “The Cosby Show,” sat across from host Robin Roberts while wearing a Yale baseball cap — a nod to his alma mater — and his Trader Joe’s name tag. The tag also appeared in photos the Daily Mail published on Thursday, seemingly with the intent of shaming the actor for working at the grocery store in New Jersey: “From learning lines to serving the long line!” the headline exclaimed.

Fox News published the photos the next day, after which a number of figures in the news and entertainment industries came to Owens’s defense. Dan Rather criticized the network, tweeting that “demonizing hard work while abetting grifters enriching themselves on tax dollars is a potent stew of hypocrisy and irony.” Terry Crews recalled sweeping floors after he retired from the NFL. Justine Bateman referred to the people photographing and judging Owens as “trash,” adding that he is one of the “VERY few people on the planet who has acted on a hit TV show.”

Speaking to Roberts, Owens said he was “really devastated” by how he was initially portrayed. But that feeling faded quickly, he added, as the worldwide outpouring of support was almost immediate.

“I kind of feel like that character in that Woody Allen movie that wakes up one morning, and he’s a celebrity all of a sudden,” he said, later adding: “I’m more of a celebrity now than when I actually was a celebrity, if that makes sense.”

Owens played Elvin on “The Cosby Show” for seven years and has since appeared on “That’s So Raven,” “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” and “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” among other shows. He worked at Trader Joe’s for 15 months before quitting because of the recent influx of attention, he told Roberts, as the money he made from teaching, acting and directing for more than 30 years wasn’t enough to make ends meet. He wanted a job with enough flexibility to allow him to continue working in the entertainment business, as well.

The backlash to the Daily Mail and Fox News encouraged the public to reevaluate “the idea that some jobs are better than others,” Owens said.

“I’ve had a great life, I’ve had a great career,” he continued. “I’ve had a career that most actors would die for. No one has to feel sorry for me. I’m doing fine.”

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

In all likelihood yes.

yeah, but noticing helps to foster continued behaviors.

and really, coming from one in an enclosed service environment, its saying something more imo.
    I'm not arguing with you. I agree with what you're saying.
  • Options
    Saw he was on CNN talking about it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,963
    Fox News will be the first to criticize one for having a job at the same time they criticize poor people (who work min wage jobs) for collecting food stamps. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,994
    edited September 2018
    Seems like a cool dude from his CNN interview. Even hesitant to take acting gigs that now has popped up because of this Fox News-BS.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I liked the Cosby Show, he was great on the show ... 

Some people are just snobs.  He is right, all work is valuable.  I worked in maintenance in a school board for 25 years.  As an example, most teachers, principals and administrators have no idea how much work it takes in the evening and over the summer to maintain, clean and repair so kids, teachers, principals and administrators  have a clean and safe learning environment.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I hope Always Sunny brings him back if they do another season.
    His parts were minor, but classic.  Bring him back since Da Maniac (RIP) can't be in the show anymore, give him Maniac sized roles with Ben the Soldier.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    OnWis97 said:
    most moderately successful canadian musicians have a "summer job". I Mother Earth singer Edwin had monster hits with that band and solo, and he still was a bartender when he wasn't touring/making music. Other musicians do session work, produce, work in hospitality, voice over stuff, etc. I would imagine there are many americans that do the same. 

I also find it odd how everyone thinks "if you are in the public eye, you must have a house like Jay Z". not at ALL the case. 

this guy did this job for the flexibility to be able to still look for acting work. and really, no matter the reason, it's incredible to me that people job-shame at the same time as complaining about people who sit on welfare all day and contribute nothing. which is it?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    edited September 2018
    OnWis97 said:
    most moderately successful canadian musicians have a "summer job". I Mother Earth singer Edwin had monster hits with that band and solo, and he still was a bartender when he wasn't touring/making music. Other musicians do session work, produce, work in hospitality, voice over stuff, etc. I would imagine there are many americans that do the same. 

I also find it odd how everyone thinks "if you are in the public eye, you must have a house like Jay Z". not at ALL the case. 

this guy did this job for the flexibility to be able to still look for acting work. and really, no matter the reason, it's incredible to me that people job-shame at the same time as complaining about people who sit on welfare all day and contribute nothing. which is it?
    That's what some people don't grasp.  He's a Yale graduate so why not go out and try to get a steady office job?  Because the downtown advertising agency doesn't let its staff go out for auditions and take time off to shoot films or be in plays.  He's making a sacrifice for his dream.  I admire that, as I am someone who wants a steady paycheck.

I'll add that this is also an indictment on our ability to think critically.  "Oh my god; he must be down and out."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    I read he has a net worth of $300 000, not a lot when you think about...

Good for him...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I always thought that HE had the best comedic timing on the Cosby Show.  Elvin was hilarious.  

And Trader Joes is awesome.  More power to him 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

It's whatever people can find. It's become the norm to find something to shred someone with and then once you do... shred. The term 'hater' didn't haphazardly integrate itself in our modern day vernacular.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    Trader Joe's has the best peanut butter cups I've ever eaten.

I agree that people very much undervalue work, especially in North America. Too many people confuse earnings with value. I personally think many people who earn minimum wage have a much more valuable role in society than a lot of people who earn tons of money. They also tend to do much less harm in society.
    I think too many people have their priorities all fucked up, and it's a big part of what's wrong with the world.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    PJ_Soul said:
    Trader Joe's has the best peanut butter cups I've ever eaten.

I agree that people very much undervalue work, especially in North America. Too many people confuse earnings with value. I personally think many people who earn minimum wage have a much more valuable role in society than a lot of people who earn tons of money. They also tend to do much less harm in society.
    I think too many people have their priorities all fucked up, and it's a big part of what's wrong with the world.
    one of the consequences of capitalism. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com